Kiama to Berry?

g-boaf

Kiama to Berry?

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:12 pm

Looking at doing some different riding on the weekend - Kiama to Berry and then assorted routes around there.

It looks like the following would be the best route, given the Princes Highway seems to have good shoulders at least up until Toolijoola Road:

Princes Highway
Toolijoola Road
Beach Road
Tannery Road
Princes Highway

Or has it been further upgraded all the way to Berry?

grantw

Re: Kiama to Berry?

Postby grantw » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:38 pm

The Berry Bypass is now open but I haven't been down that way as yet so cannot comment on it, the Kiama Bends still remain dodgy, especially north bound, but the other roads sound fine to me. You might want to add Woodhill Mountain or Berry Mountain to your plans.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:47 pm

Beach Road could be the dodgiest part of that run. Narrow, 80km/h, double whites, can be a bit of a race track at the wrong time of day. If you're there during the day it could be nice. Weekends around Berry get quite a few tourists who don't know the area though.

The bypass has a wide shoulder, but can't recall what signage is on it about bikes and such. Some parts were still fenced off for roadside construction works, removing the shoulder at around Austral Park/Gembrook Road areas last time I drove it. They should be gone now. If they're still there, it would be a bit of a tight spot.

Where are you basing yourself? Riding west from Berry is meant to have some nice bits.

Jim

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:09 pm

Mate are you sure you want to go south? Theres better riding west of kiama and north. Only go south if you have something to do in berry itself. Otherwise i can show you doxens of other rides starting and finishing in kiama. For a start you could nip up to marshall mount road and watch one of the hottest bikes races on the calendar. Ken Dinnerville handicap. Sunday 10am start. Ride the course. Have a coffee with me.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:13 am

Go up Macquarie Pass :)

I did it anti clockwise and went a similar way in reverse, from Berry, Tannery Rd, Beach Rd, Toolijooa Rd, Princess Hwy

Princess Hwy was fine on the shoulder with a couple of pinch points. Beach Rd and Tooligooa Rd were acceptable. This was over 18 months ago so Im not sure if they have fixed the road surface up. Think of it like Chandos Rd :)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:55 am

Macquarie Pass is one of the options, along with Fitzroy Falls and a few others and thanks to Derny Driver I've got a few more. 8)

Thanks everyone!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:11 pm

Fingers crossed it warms up tomorrow- heading down to Kiama.

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:31 am

The bypass is pretty much finished, so the sketchiest part between Kiama and Berry is now the Kiama bends (Previously I would have said the Highway, followed by Seven Mile Beach Road). Southbound on the bends isn't too bad. Going north is pretty shite when you first hit the bends, there is pretty much no shoulder.
Between Gerringong and Berry now is pretty good riding and I use it a lot. The old Highway is now called Donovan's road (Between Toolijooa Rd and Austral Road). It's definitely the best way to go from Gerringong to Berry now. The new Highway is pretty good too. Nice wide shoulder except for the part closer to Berry they're still working on. But it's a bit boring. The Donovan's Rd stretch is much more enjoyable.
Tooli Road is OK. There's a stretch of gravel if you don't mind that. Beach Road isn't great, 90km/h with no shoulder, but relatively quiet and I've never had too many issues on it.

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:31 am

Derny Driver wrote:Mate are you sure you want to go south? Theres better riding west of kiama and north. Only go south if you have something to do in berry itself. Otherwise i can show you doxens of other rides starting and finishing in kiama. For a start you could nip up to marshall mount road and watch one of the hottest bikes races on the calendar. Ken Dinnerville handicap. Sunday 10am start. Ride the course. Have a coffee with me.
Looks like they got the wind howling just in time for Dinnerville! haha :P

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:11 pm

GAV!N wrote:
BIGGGG westerly for the DinnerPlate. Tough 100km race today.
Met up with g-boaf after the race for a sausage sandwich and a quick chat.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:14 pm

GAV!N wrote:
Derny Driver wrote:Mate are you sure you want to go south? Theres better riding west of kiama and north. Only go south if you have something to do in berry itself. Otherwise i can show you doxens of other rides starting and finishing in kiama. For a start you could nip up to marshall mount road and watch one of the hottest bikes races on the calendar. Ken Dinnerville handicap. Sunday 10am start. Ride the course. Have a coffee with me.
God it was bloody windy! :shock: I wasn't at the Dinnerville (nearby though, down in Kiama and the surrounding area) and most of the roads I was on had that wind blowing across me - talk about gusty. When I got the tailwind though, screaming along. :lol:

From what I heard talking to a few people I knew down there, they had a really tough race.

It was handy today to go down there and find my way around there. Now I'm back and looking at a map I'm thinking that one place where I turned around, I should have kept going and it would have go me where I finally had to go anyway. I've certainly found some good loops I can do now. :)

Riding on the Princes Hwy is fine, no trouble at all, huge wide shoulders on the sections I used.