Cattai - Pitt Town route

maxx_hills

Cattai - Pitt Town route

Postby maxx_hills » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:43 pm

Hi All,

I'm after some advice on riding in Cattai, Pitt Town area. My planned route is:

OlD Windsor road > Pitt Town road > Catai road > Pitt Town Dural road > Boundary road > OlD Windsor road

I would like to know if it's safe to ride on above mentioned roads. I know some of those roads have 80kh speed and single lane.

Thanks in advanced.
maxx

tez001

Re: Cattai - Pitt Town route

Postby tez001 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:52 pm

I rode some of those just last week. I wanted to ride to Pitt Town however Pitt Town rd from Old Windsor rd in seemed a little busy with no shoulder. I decided to turn off and ride through Oakville back on to Old Windsor Rd via Annangrove Rd and it wasn't bad.

The small section I rode on Pitt Town rd appeared shocking and probably didn't help being close shaved along there too.

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:11 pm

It can be a bit confusing, as there are a few bits of road in the area called "pitt town road" as well as "old pitt town road". I presume when you mention Pitt town road you mean the bit going from windsor rd at McGraths Hill to Pitt town. I ride that that bit of road all the time, but it is not the best, narrow shoulder and heavy traffic. If you want to go in that direction you can minimise your time on the road by doing a detour on a loop down Pitt town bottoms rd. You won't see a car on that rd.

Likewise I am not a fan of boundary rd. Too busy, narrow shoulders etc. You can minimise your time on that rd by dodging off onto midson rd, which runs parallel, and again you won't see a car. (note you can't get through to midson from the scheyville rd, even though maps may show this, you need to go up boundary a bit, then go up a side rd such as martin rd). There are lots of ways you could go from there that are roughly parallel to boundary rd, but a lot quieter. Eg old pitt town rd, henckel rd, bocks rd, chapman rd etc, or lots of similar ways.

I do lots of riding out there, and there are some great roads. Mclymonts is one of my favourites. Virtually no traffic, steep climbs and nice scenery. Try and get that into one of your rides :wink:

maxx_hills

Postby maxx_hills » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:25 pm

Thanks @tez001 @robbo mcs for advice!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:54 pm

Any thoughts on a nice way to get out to Oakville (near the Oakville Public School) from Windsor Road cycle path?

Looking on Google Street view, the roads off from Windsor Road don't look very nice at all.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:53 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:54 pm
Any thoughts on a nice way to get out to Oakville (near the Oakville Public School) from Windsor Road cycle path?

Looking on Google Street view, the roads off from Windsor Road don't look very nice at all.
Coming from which way? Most of our club rides go right past the school. Outbound from Rouse Hill we use Old Pitt Town Rd, which we get to by starting at RHTC, then take Withers Rd, Annangrove Rd, Edwards Rd, then Nelson Rd which continues as Old Pitt Town Rd. Ride until you get to Hanckel Rd, turn left and it takes you straight to the school.

Coming from the McGraths Hill end of Windsor Rd, we use Pitt Town Rd, Wolseley Rd, then straight ahead on Oakville Rd.

I have also used Commercial Rd, accessed off Boundary Rd.

With all the construction that’s been happening around Box Hill, the roads have been slowing getting upgrades, but they are all still mostly rural roads. I can’t see racing at Oakville getting approval for much longer. it will join the long list of races that have been cancelled due to approval requirements.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:01 am

queequeg wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:53 pm
g-boaf wrote:

Coming from which way? Most of our club rides go right past the school. Outbound from Rouse Hill we use Old Pitt Town Rd, which we get to by starting at RHTC, then take Withers Rd, Annangrove Rd, Edwards Rd, then Nelson Rd which continues as Old Pitt Town Rd. Ride until you get to Hanckel Rd, turn left and it takes you straight to the school.

Coming from the McGraths Hill end of Windsor Rd, we use Pitt Town Rd, Wolseley Rd, then straight ahead on Oakville Rd.

With all the construction that’s been happening around Box Hill, the roads have been slowing getting upgrades, but they are all still mostly rural roads. I can’t see racing at Oakville getting approval for much longer. it will join the long list of races that have been cancelled due to approval requirements.
Coming from Bella Vista where the M7 bollards are or Norwest Boulevard (more likely). Boundary Road looked a bit dodgy, Commercial Road I wasn't sure about.

Thanks for the speedy reply, I'm going to look at those on Google Maps. 8)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:07 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:01 am
queequeg wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:53 pm
g-boaf wrote:

Coming from Bella Vista where the M7 bollards are or Norwest Boulevard (more likely). Boundary Road looked a bit dodgy, Commercial Road I wasn't sure about.

Thanks for the speedy reply, I'm going to look at those on Google Maps. 8)
If you are coming from that far out and want to stay mostly cycleway, just take Windsor Rd all the way to Bandon Rd/Chapman Rd and head up Chapman, cross over Commercial Rd into Bocks Rd which tkes you all the way to Hanckel, then left to the public school as per above.
The problem around this area at the moment is the volume of construction going on, so traffic conditions are changing all the time. The roads are still fairly quiet, but build thousands of new car dependant housing estates in former farming land, then what you get is self entitled motorists yelling at cyclists to get off "their roads". The change in the last 5 years has been staggering. I used to ride out there and you wouldn't see a single car the entire time. Now there are some sections best avoided at certain times of day.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:52 pm

Yes, as suggested just go out windsor road, then Chapmans, Bocks, Hankel. They are all quiet roads, little traffic.

There are many good roads in that area.

Avoid Boundary road, too busy. Also currently roadworks, partial road closures or lane closures on Edwards rd, Nelsons rd, so avoid those.

Also on Windsor rd, currently roadworks from Garfield rd to Junction road. Narrow road, with no verge, no bicycles signage Eastbound. For this section, best to use the bike path rather than the road, for both directions.