Anyone got an upright trike?

zebee

Anyone got an upright trike?

Postby zebee » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:36 pm

My elderly mother has expressed interest in a trike.

She's tried my recumbent and can ride it but doesn't like being so low down.

While trikes are cheap enough I really don't want to buy one without her having tried it so I am wondering if anyone has one we could try out?

I'm in Campsie, but willing to travel. Probably not central coast distance but Penrith or Liverpool no issue.

westab

Re: Anyone got an upright trike?

Postby westab » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:02 am

zebee wrote:My elderly mother has expressed interest in a trike.

She's tried my recumbent and can ride it but doesn't like being so low down.

While trikes are cheap enough I really don't want to buy one without her having tried it so I am wondering if anyone has one we could try out?

I'm in Campsie, but willing to travel. Probably not central coast distance but Penrith or Liverpool no issue.
zebee - just a thought but you might want to give these guys a call.

CARES is located at Auto Place, Prospect, 2148 Phone: 9831-8355

It is an off road facility that is designed to teach kids how to ride a bicycle safely - it has been many years since my kids went there with school and I don't know if they are open on the weekend or even if they will allow your mum to try out their Gomer trikes. The police that ran it when I went there were just great and like most police would try to accommodate you and your mothers needs - if they can.

Goodluck
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:14 pm

Hi zebee, I reckon don't buy on price, is all I can say.
My rello bought one in Vic. Battery operated for around $800-00. He is 72 years old. The idea was to get around in a small country town to do a bit of shopping etc.

All good till he hit one pot hole and the thing busted near the axle and had to be re-welded. He couldn't do it so paid for the job. All up a bit of a pain.
Definitely light duty out fit..... :) Just saying.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:22 am

My Gomier (well it's my wife's but i've ridden it a lot more than her) had a bent axle when i found it at the local tip, since i've straightened it there hasn't been any issue.

IMO though unless the terrain is particularly flat and the rider is reasonably fit, electric assist is a must. The Gomiers are VERY heavy and going up any sort of incline is very hard work.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:36 pm

Australia Post has been using electric bikes and trikes for a few years now
Not sure who sells them in Sydney
Anything you can do, I can do slower

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:19 am

It would be interesting to know if those are available, or if they can only be purchased by AP and their contractors like the Honda motos they use.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

zebee

Postby zebee » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:49 pm

That trike looks fairly solid. Glow Worm has the ezee carro which seems good quality but you pay for it. I will definitely give CARES a ring.

Good to know they are heavy... I think the main thing now is just to see how she goes riding, if she thinks she can handle it unpowered. If so I will probably go for the ezee carro as it seems a better deal generally. It is more expensive but the main cost is batteries and the gomiers with decent batteries are getting close to the same money.