RMS - Disconnected from Bike Riding Reality

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

RMS - Disconnected from Bike Riding Reality

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:15 am

Apparently, a Pittwater Road cycleway has been completed. I only know bits and pieces so was curious... what awesome 'connected' cycleway has suddenly appeared.

I came upon this site... a cycleway finder and if you are really excited now, sorry but I will have to bring you back to reality:
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/bicycle ... wayfinder/

Bike riding is all about disconnected routes. The main thing is that the nasty bikes don't get in the way of cars. Really disappointing to look at the map around the Northern Beaches and see that bike routes or paths are about creates a disconnected network... but not about created connected routes - with the exception of offroad routes such as the Narabeen lake loop.

Connectability is the big thing where where far too many plans fall short. Let people use a bike to go shopping and get about town and not just go part way.
Cycling is in my BNA

Warin

Re: RMS - Disconnected from Bike Riding Reality

Postby Warin » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:06 am

Reality and that map are disconnected.

E.g.
Shared cycle way alongside Lady Game Drive is missing.
Closure of part of the M2 is shown open.

Think there will be more ...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:02 am

AUbicycles wrote:Apparently, a Pittwater Road cycleway has been completed. I only know bits and pieces so was curious... what awesome 'connected' cycleway has suddenly appeared.

I came upon this site... a cycleway finder and if you are really excited now, sorry but I will have to bring you back to reality:
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/bicycle ... wayfinder/

Bike riding is all about disconnected routes. The main thing is that the nasty bikes don't get in the way of cars. Really disappointing to look at the map around the Northern Beaches and see that bike routes or paths are about creates a disconnected network... but not about created connected routes - with the exception of offroad routes such as the Narabeen lake loop.

Connectability is the big thing where where far too many plans fall short. Let people use a bike to go shopping and get about town and not just go part way.
Oh they are connected to reality alright, connected to the reality that they've been forced to implement.

I've long argued that the problem is lack of connected cycling routes, only to hear that the problem starts with the letter "H". The more there are connected cycling routes, the more people will use them.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:00 pm

Had to think long and hard about what begins with H.

A number of years I was considering joining a panel of the Ku-Ring-Gai council for their bicycle strategy. But the strategy was presented along the lines of 'this is is we want to do, you need to endorse it'.

It was primarily disconnected routes designed to move bike traffic away from major traffic corridors... that was the primary purpose. Then the council could paint a few bicycle graphics on roads and their bicycle strategy was done.

I declined because I couldn't be 'complicit' in something that was designed so poorly and with so little interest in genuinely understanding how people cycle and how they can be connected. They went along with it anyway. The end-result is that it is always more expensive and difficult to implement it later.
Cycling is in my BNA