Loop the Lake 2018 - not a loop.

User avatar
bychosis
Posts: 5734
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Loop the Lake 2018 - not a loop.

Postby bychosis » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:10 am

After having entered the Loop the Lake for the past few years I've been interested in looping again. This year there are 'safety concerns' from the police, so it unfortunately is no longer a loop of our lake. Bit sad after 21 years, that they cannot control the traffic for one morning, for a couple of 'dangerous' sections to keep a tradition going.

https://www.loopthelake.com.au/
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 10002
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Loop the Lake 2018 - not a loop.

Postby g-boaf » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:27 am

What are the dangerous sections? Seems like the growing scourge of crackdowns on non-elite cycling events.

What makes the road more dangerous this year compared to what it was the previous year? Is it a negative 9% 10km descent or something with a deformed road surface?

User avatar
bychosis
Posts: 5734
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: Loop the Lake 2018 - not a loop.

Postby bychosis » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:05 am

I'm not sure, but assume the Rutleys Rd section, and a couple of bits that are narrow through Dora Creek. The Eleebana bends might also be considered dangerous. Previous years there have been escort vehicles patrolling some of the worse sections.

In reality though, a little patience from motorists and these sections are fine. The motorists just need to wait, then pass a group of cyclists when there is no oncoming traffic. Yes, there are lots of bikes. Yes, there aren't many gaps between them. No, it wont take hours for them to find an overtaking opportunity.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

caneye
Posts: 613
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:32 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Loop the Lake 2018 - not a loop.

Postby caneye » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:51 pm

i did the event last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.
yes, big shame it's no longer a proper loop. otherwise it was lovely to ride through the quieter part of Morisset and Dora Creek.

User avatar
gorilla monsoon
Posts: 3533
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:45 am
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: Loop the Lake 2018 - not a loop.

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:33 am

bychosis wrote:I'm not sure, but assume the Rutleys Rd section, and a couple of bits that are narrow through Dora Creek. The Eleebana bends might also be considered dangerous. Previous years there have been escort vehicles patrolling some of the worse sections.

The motorists just need to wait, then pass a group of cyclists when there is no oncoming traffic. Yes, there are lots of bikes. Yes, there aren't many gaps between them. No, it wont take hours for them to find an overtaking opportunity.


Really sad to hear that about LtL because it is (was?) a great ride, even if you opted to take the shorter route and start from Morisset. I think a lot of riders will probably now give LtL a big miss, which means some worthwhile charities will most likely miss-out on some solid funding.

In reality though, a little patience from motorists and those sections you mentioned are fine. I actually copped more flak from drivers on the Pacific Hwy section between Swansea and Belmont and on Wyee Rd just after turning onto it after Morisset, than anywhere else on the course.

As I recall, the Rutley's Rd section was removed from the course last year and riders continued straight along Wyee Rd through to the Pacific Hwy. I agree that the Eleebana bends may be a little problematic but, as you say, some commonsense by drivers would make life easy for everyone. I remember getting plenty of support, rather than abuse, from people in cars as I huffed and puffed my way through those rising turns towards Warners Bay and, eventually, the Speers Point finish line.

I will miss LtL this year because I have to be interstate but I somehow think, given the changes to the course, that last year's ride was probably my last.

What I did enjoy very much last year though was The Postman's Run charity event at Singleton in early April. Not as physically challenging as LtL admittedly but it covers some really great roads, has minimal traffic and it's an easy hour's drive from home. I think I'll be sticking with that one from here on in - or at least until the coppers persuade the organisers to change the course "for safety reasons".
Not my circus, not my monkeys

User avatar
bychosis
Posts: 5734
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: Loop the Lake 2018 - not a loop.

Postby bychosis » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:52 am

Yeah, I'm out this year too for other reasons, but I'd be more likely to do a 'protest loop' than join the not-Loop the Lake. I do wonder if any others would consider riding the old course just to prove a point. I'll donate my coins elsewhere. Might look into the Singleton one instead.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Quency
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:35 pm

Re: Loop the Lake 2018 - not a loop.

Postby Quency » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:57 pm

bychosis wrote:Yeah, I'm out this year too for other reasons, but I'd be more likely to do a 'protest loop' than join the not-Loop the Lake. I do wonder if any others would consider riding the old course just to prove a point. I'll donate my coins elsewhere. Might look into the Singleton one instead.


I'd had similar thoughts re: a protest loop. maybe on a different weekend out of respect for the event and the police decision. nothing wrong with doing it though. it's actually a nice ride for the most part
Somewhat disappointing for the event given it's been around for 20 odd years. i've been doing it the last 4 or 5 years. undecided for this year. would like to continue but the new route is less than impressive.

I've done the mailrun (the singleton event) the last 4 years. can confirm as posted above, they are nice country roads out there. not much traffic, no traffic lights. not even sure there is a stop sign on the route. it's a pleasant change to the urban rides of most days.

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 10002
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Loop the Lake 2018 - not a loop.

Postby g-boaf » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:00 pm

Quency wrote:
bychosis wrote:Yeah, I'm out this year too for other reasons, but I'd be more likely to do a 'protest loop' than join the not-Loop the Lake. I do wonder if any others would consider riding the old course just to prove a point. I'll donate my coins elsewhere. Might look into the Singleton one instead.


I'd had similar thoughts re: a protest loop. maybe on a different weekend out of respect for the event and the police decision. nothing wrong with doing it though. it's actually a nice ride for the most part
Somewhat disappointing for the event given it's been around for 20 odd years. i've been doing it the last 4 or 5 years. undecided for this year. would like to continue but the new route is less than impressive.

I've done the mailrun (the singleton event) the last 4 years. can confirm as posted above, they are nice country roads out there. not much traffic, no traffic lights. not even sure there is a stop sign on the route. it's a pleasant change to the urban rides of most days.


So, because some organised ride is on, even if you aren't a part of it you wouldn't be able to ride somewhere else because it might be disrespectful? That shouldn't really be a problem, ride thoughtfully on the road, claim the lane when it is necessary, move over when the road conditions allow (ie, when there is a bit of a shoulder). Drivers should be sensible enough to handle that.

It'd be easy to see a future where there is no on-road cycling events in NSW "for safety reasons".

User avatar
gorilla monsoon
Posts: 3533
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:45 am
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: Loop the Lake 2018 - not a loop.

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:23 am

So, did anyone ride the (not fully) Loop the Lake and how was it?
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users