Mac park to Drummoyne

zebee

Mac park to Drummoyne

Postby zebee » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:57 am

So I need to get myself from Mac Park to Drummoyne, specifically nearby to the Drummoyne wharf. I could say get to Meadowbank and take a ferry and I've done that before but I am likely having trike and trailer, which is Too Hard on a ferry.

Being a trike I'd rather not take it on roads with limited passing and medium/heavy traffic because it requires a wider pass (being wide and being low so it gets hidden by car's own bodywork), so back streets and shared paths preferred. I expect this is going to be after work, so there will be a chunk of traffic about.

find_bruce

Re: Mac park to Drummoyne

Postby find_bruce » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:53 pm

Trike & trailer will make it tough across Gladesville Bridge, the paths are tight, & involve 2 flights of stairs, followed by the rise over the bridge which is also tight.

What I would suggest is going down to Meadowbank, then something like this. Lyons Road is a bit of a zoo, but not much you can do to avoid it.

For something different you could use the Mortlake vehicle ferry which runs until 6:25 pm
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

zebee

Postby zebee » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:06 pm

I take that way on the motorbike, although from Burwood Rd. So once I get to Burwood Rd and the trip round the lake I know it. I have done Lyons Rd on the two wheeler but not the trike.

Given that it's a bit of a zoo at going home time as you say, might be better to eat the extra miles and head down Barnstaple and wriggle through the streets parallel to Lyons till I get close to Victoria. Or do it the other way, go North of Lyons Rd which looks harder and wrigglier. And no doubt steeper but everything around there is steep with Lyons Rd on the high ridge.

I presume the stairs at Gladesville bridge are like the Harbour Bridge ones. Fixing them has been going to happen for 40 years.

I must investigate the vehicle ferry, just for the hell of it! (And probably investigate how easy it is to get the trailer on top of the trike and wrestle them both on the ferry. Up the gangplank is the easy bit!)

Zebee

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:26 am

zebee wrote:Given that it's a bit of a zoo at going home time as you say, might be better to eat the extra miles and head down Barnstaple and wriggle through the streets parallel to Lyons till I get close to Victoria. Or do it the other way, go North of Lyons Rd which looks harder and wrigglier. And no doubt steeper but everything around there is steep with Lyons Rd on the high ridge.
I live north of Lyons Rd & suggested the particular streets as giving the gentlest ride up to Curtain ave which is then a gentle roll down to 5 dock bay, following around to cross Vic Rd which will be a bit uphill.
zebee wrote:I presume the stairs at Gladesville bridge are like the Harbour Bridge ones. Fixing them has been going to happen for 40 years.
exactly. They are only there because of the highly convoluted route rather than build a short bridge over the loop exit from Lane Cove Rd

zebee

Postby zebee » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:11 am

The track around the water is going to be easier. Might do a weekend trial run before trailer towing.

I looked at various maps of the bicycle facilities at Gladesville bridge and gave up trying to understand them.

Many cycle route thingies were all about Burns Bay Rd which seemed a bit dicey to me.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:21 am

Give me a whistle if you want a guide on the weekend - its about a 20km loop over Gladesville Bridge, Concord Rd & back. I can even offer coffee.

Brurns Bay Rd is steep downhill from Penrose St. I may be old & fat & slow but I can bomb downhill keeping up with the rest of the traffic. What I do is use the path across the Burns Bay Rd Bridge google street view, cross the off ramp to Church St street view so I can go under Church St - it is more than an extra lane wide so no problems there. Its then down hill which gives me the speed to merge into the Church St entry ramp. this is the dodgiest part of the route, keeping to the right of the lane street view allows cars to pass on my left and for me to exit onto the path for the bridge here

It has the benefit of avoiding the convoluted path & stairs, but I wouldn't suggest it to anyone who was not confident in traffic & I don't think I would do it on a trike & trailer, which is why I didn't mention it