Harris Park to Parra bike route for a newbie commuting?

geminimum

Harris Park to Parra bike route for a newbie commuting?

Postby geminimum » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:07 pm

Hi everyone. I'll be commuting to work from Harris Park (Brisbane St) and would like advice on which route to take to Parramatta. I want to end up at the courts on George St. Since I am new at this I was thinking of heading down Harris St towards the wharf and ride along there (watch out pedestrians!) I wouldn't be comfortable on the main road. I'm guessing I have to cross over the bridge to get to the other side so I end up on the exit where I could get back onto O'Connell St. Otherwise it ends somewhere where the old Harris Farm markets use to be? Any help and advice much appreciated!

Bunged Knee

Re: Harris Park to Parra bike route for a newbie commuting?

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:50 pm

Hi, Welcome to the forum.
See the map in this link

ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

geminimum

Postby geminimum » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:46 am

:D Thanks Bunged Knee, this is great! I didn't know you could choose the Bike option in Google maps! I'm very excited. I'm sure there are other ways to go. Just worried about the cars. My work colleague gave me a suggestion too. Looks like I'll be checking it out this weekend.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:17 pm

Go for a ride and see how you go. If you find Harris St a little busy, an easy alternative would be via Alfred St
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

zebee

Postby zebee » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:42 pm

Be careful about bike option. It's quite capable of telling you to cycle on a main road with no bike facilities. Such as Paramatta Rd.

Mind you... bit of Parra Rd do have footpaths as shared paths. THey just don't bother putting up signs.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:36 am

The route above is the best one, just get off the cycleway at Church Street, go along to Phillip Street, then left onto Marsden Street or the lane that runs alonside the courts (from what I can see). Harris Street shouldn't be too bad, and the main streets in Parramatta should be okay (low speed traffic).

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:48 am

zebee wrote:Be careful about bike option. It's quite capable of telling you to cycle on a main road with no bike facilities. Such as Paramatta Rd.

Mind you... bit of Parra Rd do have footpaths as shared paths. THey just don't bother putting up signs.
Yeah know what you mean about google bike option zebee...the other night I was just having a muck around with it doing a mock-up plan for riding between Beverly Hills to Randwick via Bardwell Park...well it had me ride up the hill through Earlwood which is one of the heaviest local roads with no shoulder in the St George area, down Bayview to Tempe, then had me heading up the Princess Highway from Tempe to past Canal Road...I say Say What!! I double checked to see if it was still in bicycle mode....that area of princess Highway would be suicide....it's nerve wracking enough on a motorcycle let alone a pushy :shock: :?
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:46 pm

brumby33 wrote:
zebee wrote:Be careful about bike option. It's quite capable of telling you to cycle on a main road with no bike facilities. Such as Paramatta Rd.

Yeah know what you mean about google bike option zebee...the other night I was just having a muck around with it doing a mock-up plan for riding between Beverly Hills to Randwick via Bardwell Park...well it had me ride up the hill through Earlwood which is one of the heaviest local roads with no shoulder in the St George area, down Bayview to Tempe, then had me heading up the Princess Highway from Tempe to past Canal Road...I say Say What!! I double checked to see if it was still in bicycle mode....that area of princess Highway would be suicide....it's nerve wracking enough on a motorcycle let alone a pushy :shock: :?
Use Strava and the routes feature it has, that will give you the most common routes used by riders. It's not perfect, but it is reasonable.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:00 pm

Along Harris st to Parkes St is pretty quiet, you shold be fine. If from Parkes to the cyclepath down by the river is a bit busy on Harris st, just footpath it until the Albion hotel

geminimum

Postby geminimum » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:09 am

Thanks everyone. On my first ride, I decided to try along the station but you end up near the train station at Parra and boy there were pesky pedestrians everywhere! :shock: Not good and too many traffic light stops. Macquarie St was medium traffic as well but I have tried the riverside and I must say that is a very enjoyable ride (as pictured) Depending how I feel I cross over and walk my bike up a few steps and on the bridge to get to the back of the building.
Every morning, I just glow inside when my father in law puts the bike out so I don't have to dig it out of the garage. My mother in law internally is freaking out but it's all good. Waiting for my goodies to arrive: a pannier rack and some bike lights. :lol: Would you suggest fenders? Got sprayed with these disgusting wet leaves and slimy stuff near the park this morning.