M7 with coffee break

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

M7 with coffee break

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:32 am

My friend wants to train for B2B 70k route and doesn't want to ride on the road. We have suggested the M7 and I understand that its about 40k, so 80k return

However we only know it from parking at Bunnings, which means the general slope is the wrong way, as ideally we want the uphill'ish for the way out and the downhill'ish for the way back + a coffee break.

So I'm thinking that it should be done the other way, which bring out the question, where does one park for the ride commencement and where is the coffee shop for the break?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Jawa

Re: M7 with coffee break

Postby Jawa » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:42 am

Pretty simple, park at Francesco Crescent Reserve in Bella Vista (north end). Easy to just hop on the cycleway, 40km down to Camden Valley Way. Coffee stop at maccas then 40k back.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Fr ... 50.9533479

march83

Postby march83 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:50 am

Can't help with parking, but Good Fella at Bella Vista is probably the only genuinely good coffee you'll find in the barren wasteland that is the M7 corridor. Everything else is going to be below average chain store stuff that isn't worth getting off the bike for.

web: https://goodfella.co/
map: https://goo.gl/maps/spUm57FNWDU2

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:41 am

Wont shill for maccas, I don’t touch the food but the coffee these days is pretty decent. Saturday and Sunday mornings at the Camden Valley Way is packed with cyclists

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:00 pm

Jawa wrote:Wont shill for maccas, I don’t touch the food but the coffee these days is pretty decent. Saturday and Sunday mornings at the Camden Valley Way is packed with cyclists
Depending on who is making the coffee, we've had some pretty dreadful coffee a few times. The one I had on Saturday was awful, drank about a quarter of it and tossed out the rest.

You could also drive down to Prestons and park at the sporting fields, then ride to Bella Vista, have coffee at the place mentioned by March83 and then ride back.

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:34 pm

There are also cafes at Rooty Hill (near the train station). Just a short ride off the cycleway.
Food is cheap. Not sure about the quality of coffee there. I had ice chocolate !

As suggested by someone .. park at Francesco Crescent, Bella Vista.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:34 pm

Always thought a coffee cart on the M7 cycleway would be a good earner, at least on Sat & Sun mornings

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:45 am

find_bruce wrote:Always thought a coffee cart on the M7 cycleway would be a good earner, at least on Sat & Sun mornings
At the bubbler .. would make a mint

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:45 pm

find_bruce wrote:Always thought a coffee cart on the M7 cycleway would be a good earner, at least on Sat & Sun mornings
I don't know why the equestrian centre don't install a gate and run a cafe in there. They have nice grounds (besides smelly) and would go ok.

Could be best they don't have a gate though, don't need horsies getting onto the path pooing and being a spooked hazard.

MellerYeller

Postby MellerYeller » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:28 pm

You could go up Old Windsor Road shared path as well - there are more options with the shopping complexes along the way.

M7 is a wasteland for coffee/shops etc in my experience. The Maccas coffee is only ambrosia if you've worked hard on the way down and in that sort of situation, anything tastes good. :)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:26 pm

MellerYeller wrote:You could go up Old Windsor Road shared path as well - there are more options with the shopping complexes along the way.

M7 is a wasteland for coffee/shops etc in my experience. The Maccas coffee is only ambrosia if you've worked hard on the way down and in that sort of situation, anything tastes good. :)
I hadn't thought about the Old Windsor Road path. Where does it start and end, how far is it? Which direction would make it a little harder on the way out and there for a litter easier on the way back?

JPB

Postby JPB » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:24 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
I hadn't thought about the Old Windsor Road path. Where does it start and end, how far is it? Which direction would make it a little harder on the way out and there for a litter easier on the way back?
When you get to the end of the M7 path if you turn left you can go all the way to Windsor on shared path or for most of the way you can ride on the road in a wide breakdown lane.

If you turn right you can ride to Parramatta pretty much on bike path all the way. And then head on to the Olympic Precinct at Homebush. There is a decent path along side of the river but it gets busy with families so it is not the place for hard riding.

Heading towards Windsor is the nicer riding option IMHO as there are less stops and starts. And you can call in to Rouse Hill shops for food and coffee. Heading all the way to Windsor and back will add around another 40km, maybe a bit more.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:43 pm

Carnes Hill shopping centre has good cafes and heaps of easy parking. It's then an easy ride along Cowpasture Road and Camden Valley Way shared paths to get to the bottom of the M7 and then you can go to the top and back again.
The Strava route I've linked to is longer than the ride by 10 to 15kms as stupid Strava never actually lets you ride the full M7 path and gives you a daft detour towards the north. In reality of course you just stay on the path.

https://www.strava.com/routes/12335488
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

MellerYeller

Postby MellerYeller » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:56 pm

Another thought. Your friend's target distance is 70km. This is a 76km route I used to do when I used to only have a fold-up bike to ride.
Starts at Bella Vista, loops through Fairfield and Parramatta, should be some decent coffee somewhere along the way. There is a short section in Parramatta where you will need to ride on the road or footpath, but otherwise it's all pretty much on bike paths.
https://www.strava.com/routes/6566710

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:27 pm

MellerYeller wrote:Another thought. Your friend's target distance is 70km. This is a 76km route I used to do when I used to only have a fold-up bike to ride.
Starts at Bella Vista, loops through Fairfield and Parramatta, should be some decent coffee somewhere along the way. There is a short section in Parramatta where you will need to ride on the road or footpath, but otherwise it's all pretty much on bike paths.
Thanks MellerYeller, how much of it is on road?

MellerYeller

Postby MellerYeller » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:45 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
MellerYeller wrote:Another thought. Your friend's target distance is 70km. This is a 76km route I used to do when I used to only have a fold-up bike to ride.
Thanks MellerYeller, how much of it is on road?
The following sections are on road.
Guildford station (but speed humps there slows the traffic down completely) - around 200m
Coming out of the rail trail, you'll need to go on Boomerang Street and Wallace Street (v. quiet roads)
From the M4 cycleway onto Pitt Street - you will need to go onto Pitt Street (300-400m), but the downhill section to Parramatta Park has a v. wide footpath.

It's not too bad a route, a few roads to cross - if your friend isn't confident, will need to unclip and walk the bike across, average speeds will be lower as there are a few more pedestrians on this route, but at least it's not as monotonous as the M7.