Cycling from Mudgee to Sydney?

thomas1987

Cycling from Mudgee to Sydney?

Postby thomas1987 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:07 pm

I was wondering if anyone here has done it before, or cycled a similar route? Is it a good route? Is there a good enough shoulder to cycle on the main road? Any detours on quiet roads you would recommend? And finally would it be possible to do it in one day?

Ancientflatulence

Re: Cycling from Mudgee to Sydney?

Postby Ancientflatulence » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:22 pm

Google Maps put the trip time as just short of 16 hours ........... There is a lot of steep hill work and if you go through Katoomba it can be pretty solid traffic wise from Lithgow onward most of the way to Sydney.

An alternative route is to turn off (with a huge climb as I remember) at Lithgow and go down what is known as Bell's Line Of Road to Richmond/Windsor, which is bush and scattered small farms and orchards on the eastern end.

Which route has the lesser steep climbs and better bike friendliness I could not say. Most of the traffic is on the Lithgow through Katoomba to Sydney road as it is the main route out to the Central West of NSW.

Google Earth satellite view is your friend ..........

Warin

Postby Warin » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:35 pm

Mudgee to Sydney in a day .. no, not unless your very fast, good with both traffic and hills.

From Mudgee you can go north a bit and then east .. far less traffic and a more pleasant ride. However that is longer. Look for 'Bylong Valley Way'. Bicycle Victoria took this way on one of their 'big bike rides'.

The direct road from Mudgee to Lithgow is narrow and winding. You could go somewhat east and use a less direct route .. less traffic etc. Even has some bits of cycle path. Rylstone/Kandos is what to look for here.

From Lithgow;
.. the Bells Line of Road is not cycle friendly - some sections are narrow with concrete barriers.
.. the main route up to Mt Victoria .. umm don't remember .. look for yourself
.. there might be another way through to Mt Victoria - through Hartley Vale .. depending on your preferences

.. from Mt Victoria to Katoomba there is a cycle path on the western side of the highway. Some of it is dirt.. and from what I have seen of it good dirt - no deep sand .. so ridable on a road bike ..
.. from Katoomba on should be ok.

You can always bail out and take the train from Lithgow or Muswellbrook onwards. Note .. not the intercity - they want bikes boxed . take the other train .. might be slower but you don't need to box the bike.
Last edited by Warin on Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:51 pm

Slightly north of Mudgee take Hill End road to Hill End then onto Sofala. As far as I can gather its now sealed all the way. When I went thru, which was quite some time ago there were some sections that were being worked on. South of Sofala is definitely sealed going to Bathurst but check out the road that goes pretty much direct to Lithgow thru Portland, as far as I can gather its sealed.

Lithgow to the Blue Mountains isn't that simple. Both the A23 and the B59 suck but the B59 sucks a little less. There is a 3rd way up and that's go thru Hartley Valley. Once again check the seal, on the map it appears to be sealed. When you get to Bells Liner road, either go left and use Bells Liner road to Richmond or go right and go thru Mt Victoria, Blackheath Katoomba etc.

I'll walk thru the Katoomba route as I'm more familiar with cycling that way. From Medlow Bath the road is dual carriageway with a sealed shoulder. Busy but you have the shoulder to ride on. The problem is getting from Mt Victoria to Medlow Bath. And here lies the question, are you willing to do some gravel. From Mt Victoria to Blackheath there is a road that follows the railroad tracks, I haven't used it so I don't its state of seal. but by using it you avoid a stack of heavy traffic on a narrow main road. From Blackheath to Medlow bath the road continues to suck however there is a gravel road that follows the railroad tracks, I've ridden it a long time ago, there could even be a fence to jump over. From Medlow bath use the main road to take you to Katoomba and beyond.

At Springwood there's the option of turning left and taking a quieter road that brings you out somewhere kinda Windsor way and when I've ridden it, it was quiet. The flat roads thru to Windsor were OK but I was advised by one road user that I was Richard Head, there's always one :)

From Windsor take the various bike paths to wherever you want to go
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Warin

Postby Warin » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:04 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Slightly north of Mudgee take Hill End road to Hill End then onto Sofala. As far as I can gather its now sealed all the way. When I went thru, which was quite some time ago there were some sections that were being worked on. South of Sofala is definitely sealed going to Bathurst but check out the road that goes pretty much direct to Lithgow thru Portland, as far as I can gather its sealed.
That is another option. Bit further, but less traffic untill Sofala where the weekend can be quite busy. And the steam thing (bit west of Sofala) gets going once a month .. you'd want to avoid that Fri thro Mon .. unless you want to attend.
mikesbytes wrote:Lithgow to the Blue Mountains isn't that simple. Both the A23 and the B59 suck but the B59 sucks a little less. There is a 3rd way up and that's go thru Hartley Valley. Once again check the seal, on the map it appears to be sealed. When you get to Bells Liner road,
that should be, when you get to the Darling Causeway
mikesbytes wrote:either go left and use Bells Liner road to Richmond or go right and go thru Mt Victoria, Blackheath Katoomba etc.

I'll walk thru the Katoomba route as I'm more familiar with cycling that way. From Medlow Bath the road is dual carriageway with a sealed shoulder. Busy but you have the shoulder to ride on. The problem is getting from Mt Victoria to Medlow Bath. And here lies the question, are you willing to do some gravel. From Mt Victoria to Blackheath there isw a road that follows the railroad tracks, I haven't used it so I don't its state of seal. but by using it you avoid a stack of heavy traffic on a narrow main road. From Blackheath to Medlow bath the road continues to suck however there is a gravel road that follows the railroad tracks, I've ridden it a long time ago, there could even be a fence to jump over. From Medlow bath use the main road to take you to Katoomba and beyond.
I don't think there is a fence to jump. The bit I have seen north of Medlow Bath is hard packed dirt.
mikesbytes wrote:At Springwood there's the option of turning left and taking a quieter road that brings you out somewhere kinda Windsor way and when I've ridden it, it was quiet. The flat roads thru to Windsor were OK
There is a twisty bit going down the hill.. boy racers like to go there. Pick your time and you'd be fine.