Teenagers up to 16 to be permitted to ride on footpaths

diggler

Re: Teenagers up to 16 to be permitted to ride on footpaths

Postby diggler » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:19 am

Thoglette wrote:
diggler wrote:You really think someone cycling on the footpath down George Street Sydney is a great idea?
Absolutely. I regularly ride through equally busy locations. (My route home takes me via the local touring-event barn) Yes, sometimes that means both feet on the ground waiting patiently and, you know, sharing the footpath (most un-2GB of me, I know :D )

Actually, as others have noted, the "great idea" would be removing several lanes of traffic from George St. If not all of them.
I will agree with you to the extent that you should be doing walking pace near pedestrians and shops.
Motorists hate cyclists and cyclists hate the motorists and the pedestrians hate the bikers and everybody hates the trucks.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:05 am

mikesbytes wrote:The risk to others of cycling on the footpath are over rated, you are more likely to die by being struck by lightening than a bicycle

https://www.australiawidefirstaid.com.a ... g-strikes/
How does that compare to the risk of dying whilst taking a selfie ?
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:30 am

find_bruce wrote:How does that compare to the risk of dying whilst taking a selfie ?
Look here
Over 150 media-worthy selfie deaths in four years.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:30 pm

Another safety benefit of being able to ride on the footpath is that it gives you the legal ability to ride down a one way street in the wrong direction and this will enable many situations where less busy roads can be linked up to make a better route
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:06 pm

One thing that makes it a problem to use the footpath is that businesses use it as a loading zone. I have been complaining to clowncil for 4 years about this particular vehicle

Part of the problem is that the fine for obstructing the footpath with a motor vehicle in NSW is just $263. If they stopped on the road (its a clearway) the RMS would tow them away but because its a footpath, no-one cares
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower