Five Dock pedestrian crossing enforcement

tez001

Five Dock pedestrian crossing enforcement

Postby tez001 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:52 pm

Popped up on my Facebook feed

POLICE ENFORCEMENT ON CYCLISTS - FIVE DOCK
Cyclists are advised that police enforcement is expected on cyclists riding across the pedestrian crossing on Great North Rd Five Dock, near Barnstaple Rd and Henry St, and on the footpath approaches. This follows concern expressed by Canada Bay Council's Traffic Committee today where an instance of a cyclist allegedly endangering an elderly pedestrian was raised.
Council has recently erected 'Cyclists Dismount' signage on the approaches to the crossing, which is a key link in the East-West Bicycle Commuter Route, used by increasing numbers of commuting cyclists.
Cycling across pedestrian crossings is illegal under Rule 248 – 'The rider of a bicycle must not ride across a road, or part of a road on a children's crossing or pedestrian crossing. Cyclists must dismount to use pedestrian crossings'.

fenn_paddler

Re: Five Dock pedestrian crossing enforcement

Postby fenn_paddler » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:07 pm

Thanks for the heads-up.

I ride this crossing (very slowly) every day, but only after I'm confident cars have stopped. I also wave to stopped cars as a courtesy, to preempt any cursing directed my way for not dismounting, which has happened before.

Cars and buses tear through this crossing regularly; I would assume that rather than cyclists would present the greatest risk to elderly pedestrians.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:17 pm

Have to love Canada Bay Clowncil who have successfully avoided doing anything positive for cyclists in years
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

tez001

Postby tez001 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:19 pm

To be fair, I can see that some may zoom out of Barnstaple Rd or Henry st without slowing to ensure the cars can see you and are stopping.

I ride this crossing on some of my morning commutes too, and slow right down and only cross when I know the cars have seen me and are slowing.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:06 pm

tez001 wrote:To be fair, I can see that some may zoom out of Barnstaple Rd or Henry st without slowing to ensure the cars can see you and are stopping.

I ride this crossing on some of my morning commutes too, and slow right down and only cross when I know the cars have seen me and are slowing.
My point is that this "issue" has been in place since the Clowncil designated this as the sole bike route across Five Dock - ie they expect cyclists to ride across the Ped crossing then complain when they do. Same issue with removing access to the Bay Run, same issue with access from Gladesville Bridge, same issue with the bike path in Canada Bay that used private land - samew clowncil, repeated problems

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:09 pm

don't see how you can disagree with this one. I've had many instances of cyclists, including shop rides, zipping on the footpath, over the crossing, onto a footpath and then onto the road again with no regard for cars. I've been shouted at for walking my bike across the crossing by an impatient rider. enforcement of crap behaviour is well overdue here.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:04 pm

So if you ride your bike across the intersection you get yelled at but if you get off your bike and walk across the intersection you get yelled out. Seems the real crime is living on the same planet as mr(s) yeller

BTW Lightening is 20 times more dangerous than bicycles to pedestrians
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

roberto73

Postby roberto73 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:01 pm

find_bruce wrote: My point is that this "issue" has been in place since the Clowncil designated this as the sole bike route across Five Dock - ie they expect cyclists to ride across the Ped crossing then complain when they do. Same issue with removing access to the Bay Run, same issue with access from Gladesville Bridge, same issue with the bike path in Canada Bay that used private land - samew clowncil, repeated problems
How hard would it be to design a bicycle crossing that would allow a dog leg bike movement across it? They would just have to put in a short section of bike lane on both sides of Great Nth Rd to line up with Henry westbound lane and Barnstaple eastbound lane, if you get what I mean

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:15 pm

roberto73 wrote:How hard would it be to design a bicycle crossing that would allow a dog leg bike movement across it? They would just have to put in a short section of bike lane on both sides of Great Nth Rd to line up with Henry westbound lane and Barnstaple eastbound lane, if you get what I mean
That would be a rhetorical question wouldn't it Bob? Not hard to design, just hard to get the clowncil to do it