Narabeen Shared Pedestrian / Bike Path - Proposal

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Narabeen Shared Pedestrian / Bike Path - Proposal

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:13 pm

Everyone on the Northern Beaches knows that the bridge of Pittwater road over the Narrabeen Lagoon is a nasty squeeze point for bike riders in both directions.

The Northern Beaches Council have a proposal to add a shared bridge next to the road - this very clearly does not serve bike commuters / travellers. It primarily serves recreational riders for the Narrabeen lagoon loop.

I feel that it is a good step - for that goal - and think that a wide shared bridge with clearly marked areas (bike priority / walker priority) would be beneficial, even though it still neglects all other bike riders who are not using the loop.

For details and to submit your comments to the council.
https://yoursay.northernbeaches.nsw.gov ... goonbridge

Cycling is in my BNA

familyguy

Re: Narabeen Shared Pedestrian / Bike Path - Proposal

Postby familyguy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:45 pm

For leisure riders, a great move. For quicker riding, I've never found the bridge was a bad place to be. I've never ridden it in outbound peak though, but if weekends are anything to go by, it jams up to the Tramshed and is not a high-speed pinch point. Not as bad as some places, that's for sure. Will make a comment.

Jim

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Narabeen Shared Pedestrian / Bike Path - Proposal

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:21 am

It is a squeeze point, travelling southbound and moving out of the bus lane, sonetimes drivers will race past at the last minute.

Heading northbound, usually a rider will merge into to the lane with enough time and with the big intersection agead, traffic often has to stop anyway so there it is usually ok... but still busy and could be better.
Cycling is in my BNA