Three wheels good

zebee

Three wheels good

Postby zebee » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:11 pm

So I was heading home. Took a bit of a detour to pick up dinner. Was spitting a bit but nothing worth worrying about.

Got my fried duck and trimmings and off I went. Rain got heavier, I got wetter and colder but nearly home so what the hell. Then.. Hey! That rain stung! And that one and oh dear... that's hail isn't it.

Oh well I am not far from home, keep going.

At which point the heavens opened and the world was white, cold and very painful.

I found shelter for me under an overhang but it was someone's rock garden and no room for the trike. I waited shivering for some letup in the hailstorm as Huey poured a bucket of ice over my seat. In a few seconds it collected a coating of hail some 2" thick.

Finally I decided I was cold and bored and home was less than 500m away so I headed out. Cold and still bruising I was pelted as I got onto the road. What I could see of it, as it was basically a coat of frozen ball bearings, could hardly see the tarmac. Every intersection a river of swirling white water and iceblocks.

The trike kept on triking. Somehow it found traction and we steered more or less in a straight line down the road which was more than at least one car managed. I forded a couple of intersections, then across the traffic lights (green for me which was good) and then the roundabout at the end of my street. The river here looked a bit nastier than the ones I'd been through and I found it hard to tell where the river stopped and the roundabout began. Which I found out by being gently wafted onto it! A combination of flowing water and piles of hailstones formed a sort of escalator and I was up on the roundabout and heading into 4th Ave and home.

Pulled into the hailstone covered driveway and round the back and under the balcony. Phew!

(we shall forget about getting off the trike and into icy water. We really shall. At least sandals mean no wet socks)

Ain't no way I'd have got home on two wheels. But the Greenspeed just headed where it was told and rode the carpet of hailstones without complaint.

It isn't very slick in traffic: you won't be curb hopping and carving up the slow cars. But if you are trapped in a 30mm in 30 minutes hailstorm... Three wheels most definitely good!

Zebee

TheWall

Re: Three wheels good

Postby TheWall » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:39 pm

Thanks for sharing.

How was the Duck?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:46 pm

recumbenteer will be along shortly to say a rotovelo is better in hail
Anything you can do, I can do slower

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:41 pm

find_bruce wrote:recumbenteer will be along shortly to say a rotovelo is better in hail

Yep!

:mrgreen:
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia