Navigating the airport right now

number21

Navigating the airport right now

Postby number21 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:13 pm

First couple of commutes in some time from the South around Kingsford Smith and into Ultimo, avoiding the tunnel at all costs. Seems there's lots of concurrent works going on around the area, wondering if anyone has found a reasonably simple and safe way through?

I'd normally ride up through the back of Brighton under the M5 and around Tempe reserve before getting on the bike path through to Coward st.
So the path through Tempe reserve is all cut up, then requiring crossing then recrossing the Princes Highway to navigate this. Other options are taking the Marsh St bridge either on the road which feels dicey at peak times or the path which is narrow and occasionally congested with people possibly with luggage.
Returning, again I'd normally got through Tempe reserve then under the M5, but as explained above needing crossing the highway twice. Day 1, I followed the path towards the airport and ended up on the newly constructed blue path into the international terminal parking lot, then around and up over the Marsh St bridge. Day 2 only other option I could see was carrying on along the bike path up over the bridge on the crappy narrow path against the traffic.
Surely there's a better way?!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Navigating the airport right now

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:54 pm

number21 wrote:First couple of commutes in some time from the South around Kingsford Smith and into Ultimo, avoiding the tunnel at all costs. Seems there's lots of concurrent works going on around the area, wondering if anyone has found a reasonably simple and safe way through?

I'd normally ride up through the back of Brighton under the M5 and around Tempe reserve before getting on the bike path through to Coward st.
So the path through Tempe reserve is all cut up, then requiring crossing then recrossing the Princes Highway to navigate this. Other options are taking the Marsh St bridge either on the road which feels dicey at peak times or the path which is narrow and occasionally congested with people possibly with luggage.
Returning, again I'd normally got through Tempe reserve then under the M5, but as explained above needing crossing the highway twice. Day 1, I followed the path towards the airport and ended up on the newly constructed blue path into the international terminal parking lot, then around and up over the Marsh St bridge. Day 2 only other option I could see was carrying on along the bike path up over the bridge on the crappy narrow path against the traffic.
Surely there's a better way?!
I noticed today that the footpath on the eastern side of the princess Hwy is still cut off, meaning to cross the cooks river at the Princess Hwy one needs to cross to the western side and then back to the eastern side. To ride thru the park at the southern side of cooks river one currently has to ride on the grass to get around the works

What route have you worked out?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

number21

Postby number21 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:21 pm

Hey Mike,

So the best compromise I came to was when heading towards the city using the pedestian path on the Giovanni Brunetti Bridge. Slow and narrow when squeezing around people pulling suitcases but does the job I guess.
When coming south I cross the bridge over to Tempe reserve and ride around that up to Holbeach Ave, then turn left onto the highway and just gun it to Gertrude St.
Not ideal and probably wouldn't be so much of an issue if I wasn't riding in peak hour as I'd just use the road. Mainly annoying, cyclists not considered at all in their plans. When I first encountered these works I was detoured onto a rock-lined footpath through the park, annoying for prams, wheelchairs, probably anyone on wheels unless on a MTB.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:33 pm

Ha, I've crossed the Giovanni Brunetti Bridge more times than I should care to mention and never knew its name. As you probably know there was a plan to build a separate bike bridge or clip-on and it seems to of vanished, hopefully I'm wrong but I think you are stuck with that narrow footpath. BTW the majority of those carrying suitcases over that bridge are getting off at Wolli Creek station and walking in to avoid an addition $12 or something at International Terminal station.

On the Wolli Creek side of the Princess Hwy in that park they still look like they are a month or so away from completion but whether they keep it blocked for the final landscaping we are yet to find out
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:36 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
On the Wolli Creek side of the Princess Hwy in that park they still look like they are a month or so away from completion but whether they keep it blocked for the final landscaping we are yet to find out
I rode through that park yesterday on my way through to Kurnell, the first time I'd been down that part of the world for a couple of months. I have to say those temporary paths in the park are probably the worst I've come across anywhere. It would have been better to have not bothered and for everybody just to use the grass. As mentioned above, anything with wheels is pretty much stuffed.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires