Around the Bay 2013

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:38 pm

Dimis wrote:I wouldn't want mine piled into a corner of the ferry and put at risk of any damage.
Superficial or otherwise. Anyone ever had issues with this?


Then best be doing the 210 sorrento return, cos thats exactly what happens. Not aware of anyone ever having issues with damage though, IME everyone tends to be pretty careful with their bikes (and/or other peoples bikes at least anyway). A rough day on the bay could make it interesting though.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
User avatar
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5706
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:29 pm
Location: Geelong

by BNA » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:56 pm

BNA
 

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:56 pm

people do take care on how the bikes are stacked against each other. We had a few waves last year but the bikes didnt move. My bike certainly didnt suffer any damage.

part of me cant do melbourne - sorrento - melbourne, its not around the bay, its down one side of the bay 8)
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0
User avatar
yarravalleyplodder
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:55 am
Location: Gateway to the Yarra Valley

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:04 pm

yarravalleyplodder wrote:people do take care on how the bikes are stacked against each other. We had a few waves last year but the bikes didnt move. My bike certainly didnt suffer any damage.

part of me cant do melbourne - sorrento - melbourne, its not around the bay, its down one side of the bay 8)


And back again. But youre right, dont think I could do it either.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
User avatar
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5706
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:29 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby snark » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:20 pm

Thanks for the feedback folks, my entry is in for the 210km clockwise.

What could possibly go wrong? :)

Cheers,
Simon.
Phil Liggett, TdF 2011, Alpe-d'Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow."
User avatar
snark
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:35 am
Location: Geelong, Vic

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby jamesn184 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:01 am

I will have to make a pit stop at that bakery, that's one killer vanilla slice!
Image
jamesn184
 
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:37 am

snark wrote:Thanks for the feedback folks, my entry is in for the 210km clockwise.

What could possibly go wrong? :)

Cheers,
Simon.



Ew. Wrong way, particularly for you. You will hit the open, boring, potentially windy princes highway with ~140k's already in the legs, 70k's to go to the finish and you will be close to home. You must resist the temptation :lol:
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
User avatar
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5706
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:29 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby snark » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:07 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
snark wrote:Thanks for the feedback folks, my entry is in for the 210km clockwise.

What could possibly go wrong? :)

Cheers,
Simon.



Ew. Wrong way, particularly for you. You will hit the open, boring, potentially windy princes highway with ~140k's already in the legs, 70k's to go to the finish and you will be close to home. You must resist the temptation :lol:


When I asked what could possibly go wrong, I wasn't expecting both a quick and comprehensive answer :).

Cheers,
Simon.
Phil Liggett, TdF 2011, Alpe-d'Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow."
User avatar
snark
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:35 am
Location: Geelong, Vic

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:56 pm

ok I am ready for this now.

I have a busy couple of weeks, I have a half marathon in 2 weeks and 210km around the bay a week later. I ran 19.6km yesterday and did a 116km ride with 1400m of climbing today.

Can I say a long run on saturday + long ride on sunday = pain :shock:
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0
User avatar
yarravalleyplodder
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:55 am
Location: Gateway to the Yarra Valley

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby Dimis » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:54 am

yarravalleyplodder wrote:ok I am ready for this now.

I have a busy couple of weeks, I have a half marathon in 2 weeks and 210km around the bay a week later. I ran 19.6km yesterday and did a 116km ride with 1400m of climbing today.

Can I say a long run on saturday + long ride on sunday = pain :shock:

That's a serious effort!
Well done and good luck.

Can I suggest that your best friend from here till your events is feet up and plenty of sleep.

Ps. Remember: pain is NOT your friend. It fears YOU!
Haha
Dimis
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:27 am

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby PBF » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:27 pm

I'm in trouble.

Doing the 210 clockwise but have done no where near the training i was hoping to have done by now.

Longest ride was an 80km beach rd ride with the return leg into a pretty stiff headwind. That made me realise just how much harder the full 210 will be than I thought.

Anyone got any advice for last minute preparation? Anything to look out for on the day?
PBF
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:34 am

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby DJIntegr8 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:47 pm

If the longest ride you've ever done is 80km, you'll be hurting a lot if you up your k's too fast. First year I did 210km, I did a lot of 80-100km rides, and my last 3 training weeks were 120km, 150km and 160km weekend rides. That last push to 210km killed my knee, along with the crosswind.

You might struggle to keep up with groups if you are inexperienced, but they are your best way of getting another 20-30% easy distance. Unfortunately they are also your best way of getting into an accident.. If you can make it back to Frankston, get the train into South Yarra and ride across the finish line ;)

Brendan
DJIntegr8
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:41 pm

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:51 pm

PBF wrote:I'm in trouble.

Doing the 210 clockwise but have done no where near the training i was hoping to have done by now.

Longest ride was an 80km beach rd ride with the return leg into a pretty stiff headwind. That made me realise just how much harder the full 210 will be than I thought.

Anyone got any advice for last minute preparation? Anything to look out for on the day?


Dont burn yourself out trying to cram in last minute training. Get some K's into your legs of course, but dont kill yourself in the process. Take it easy on the day & make sure you eat well in the (edit: at least) day or two before as well as on the day. I've done the 210 on limited training (I was riding regularly but nowhere near that distance, had never done over 100km prior to the ride) and survived OK. Stopped more times than planned but it helped. As did making sure I made the most of riding in bunches (but pick your bunch and do your turn, dont pick a bunch thats too quick for you) to conserve energy. Made a big difference considering I was used to riding with no more than 1 or 2 others if not alone.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
User avatar
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5706
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:29 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby Dimis » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:22 pm

My advise is log some intense kays up during the next couple of weeks. By that I mean look to knock off a couple of back to back 50-60km rides at tempo in the next 2 weeks (AT) 90% perceived effort.

Then do nothing but limited short (less than 20-30km) soft easy relaxing rides the week before (ie beginning 14 Oct).

Sleep lots... Drink lots... Recovery will be your friend.

The first time I did it, my longest ride was previous to the day was only 80kms also. I had no idea what I was in for, and I certainly hadn't trained for the event, nor understood anything about energy consumption and food intake. But I managed and got through just by pacing myself.

Don't get too excited and burn your tickets too early. Save them for the end.
No one is rushing you ;)

Good luck... I'm sure you'll manage
Dimis
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:27 am

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby PBF » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:57 pm

Cheers guys. Much appreciated.

Without advertising on the forum, I'm fortunate enough to work in a place that stocks a couple of brands of sports nutrition gear, so will look into stocking up and taping some of that to the bike as well. Despite working with it, never really used much, so might experiment over the next couple of weeks.

Biggest concern at the moment is my butt and hands hurting, and knowing how much gear to take with me for the day.

I love a challenge.
PBF
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:34 am

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:17 pm

I am no expert but here is my 2 cents :D

I can recommend a pair of assos bibs and some chamois cream to help the bum

as for the hands, well that's time in the saddle but if its happening early maybe you need to check your setup

as for the ride, make sure you have something to eat every hour, a gel, a banana, some lollies. Keep up the fluids and treat it as 2 x 105km rides because you will get at least 90 minutes break waiting for and being on the ferry

dont go flat out from the start, think about a comfortable pace and stick to it. If you can grab hold of a bunch do so as you will save some petrol tickets for the end.

as for training I would try and get a 100km ride under your belt in the next week or so but the best thing is time on the bike so you would be better served with more shorter 70km rides than 1 big 100km ride.

Dont stress to much about it and enjoy the day.
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0
User avatar
yarravalleyplodder
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:55 am
Location: Gateway to the Yarra Valley

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:22 pm

Dimis wrote:
yarravalleyplodder wrote:ok I am ready for this now.

I have a busy couple of weeks, I have a half marathon in 2 weeks and 210km around the bay a week later. I ran 19.6km yesterday and did a 116km ride with 1400m of climbing today.

Can I say a long run on saturday + long ride on sunday = pain :shock:

That's a serious effort!
Well done and good luck.

Can I suggest that your best friend from here till your events is feet up and plenty of sleep.

Ps. Remember: pain is NOT your friend. It fears YOU!
Haha

Thanks

The legs are feeling it today and they kept me awake last night :shock:

I plan to have a couple of 20km rides down to the local lake for a few laps and a couple of 10km runs this week finishing off with a 60km ride this Saturday.

I will then go into taper mode with 2 or 3 7km runs next week and maybe a 20km ride around the lake. Nothing the day before and then the half on the 13th. After that take 2 days off and have a couple of rides around the lake ready for the ABD on the 20th
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0
User avatar
yarravalleyplodder
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:55 am
Location: Gateway to the Yarra Valley

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby coffeeandwine » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:41 pm

yarravalleyplodder wrote:I am no expert but here is my 2 cents :D

I can recommend a pair of assos bibs and some chamois cream to help the bum

as for the hands, well that's time in the saddle but if its happening early maybe you need to check your setup

as for the ride, make sure you have something to eat every hour, a gel, a banana, some lollies. Keep up the fluids and treat it as 2 x 105km rides because you will get at least 90 minutes break waiting for and being on the ferry

dont go flat out from the start, think about a comfortable pace and stick to it. If you can grab hold of a bunch do so as you will save some petrol tickets for the end.

as for training I would try and get a 100km ride under your belt in the next week or so but the best thing is time on the bike so you would be better served with more shorter 70km rides than 1 big 100km ride.

Dont stress to much about it and enjoy the day.


What he said...(is spot on).

Eat something (Muesli bars, energy bars, bananas...) every 20-25km before you feel you need it. Gels work really quickly as do Jelly Beans (straight glucose) for when you feel you are starting to go flat and need to rescue the situation.

Always happy for people to join our bunch (two years ago our group was towing a group of approx 30 down the highway to Geelong :lol: ). Always polite to ask/let them know you are there; if you are able to take a turn that is often appreciated.
Image
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine
User avatar
coffeeandwine
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:06 pm
Location: Buninyong, Vic

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby joe88 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:58 pm

Hi,

We've entered the 210 anti-clockwise and specified 20-24km/hr as average speed (I hope we will be somewhat faster) - and have been assigned to start group 4. I know the first wave leaves at 6am but any idea what our start time might be (based on previous years or any info that might be in the rider pack that I haven't yet received)?
joe88
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:31 pm

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:20 pm

joe88 wrote:Hi,

We've entered the 210 anti-clockwise and specified 20-24km/hr as average speed (I hope we will be somewhat faster) - and have been assigned to start group 4. I know the first wave leaves at 6am but any idea what our start time might be (based on previous years or any info that might be in the rider pack that I haven't yet received)?


Based on memory from when we did it + the ATB website there are multiple 'waves' per start group depending on the number of riders and other factors. I'd be purely guessing but I cant see you rolling out prior to 6:30am, possibly later.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
User avatar
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5706
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:29 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby VRE » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:55 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
joe88 wrote:Hi,

We've entered the 210 anti-clockwise and specified 20-24km/hr as average speed (I hope we will be somewhat faster) - and have been assigned to start group 4. I know the first wave leaves at 6am but any idea what our start time might be (based on previous years or any info that might be in the rider pack that I haven't yet received)?


Based on memory from when we did it + the ATB website there are multiple 'waves' per start group depending on the number of riders and other factors. I'd be purely guessing but I cant see you rolling out prior to 6:30am, possibly later.

To all those planning this ride: don't get hung up on official start positions. When I did it a few years ago, I just rode to the north end of Beaconsfield Pde, turned around, and was on my way :) . Nice and uncomplicated, and it was still a perfectly valid ride, because officially I was doing the 210km option but ended up riding about 240km, so nobody can claim I didn't put in an honest effort, and that the charity donations given via my ATBIAD fundraising site were fraudulently obtained. I just preferred not to face the chaos at the start, so devised an alternative.
User avatar
VRE
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:14 am
Location: Ringwood North, VIC, Australia

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby Dimis » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:59 pm

One year when I did it, I just rock up well and truly after all waves had left, and went on my merry way.

Made for a heck of a lot of ego boosting fun, as I was able to overtake groups and then target the next group ahead.
Bonus was the "chasing" also made for a surprisingly quick time and average speed. From memory just seconds over 6hrs for 210km run to sorrento and back (IIRC avg speed was about 35km over the whole distance.
Dimis
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:27 am

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby Toyopet » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:04 pm

PBF wrote:I'm in trouble.

Doing the 210 clockwise but have done no where near the training i was hoping to have done by now.

Longest ride was an 80km beach rd ride with the return leg into a pretty stiff headwind. That made me realise just how much harder the full 210 will be than I thought.

Anyone got any advice for last minute preparation? Anything to look out for on the day?


I don't think you're in too much trouble. I look at it this way. The 210/250 are really two rides with a long enforced R&R break in between; namely the ferry wait and crossing. So you'll be somewhat refreshed by the time you start on the 2nd leg.

But I might be in trouble this year. I've had enough of ferry waiting over past years, so am doing the Sorrento and back for the first time. A little sightseeing at Sorrento may be in order :) .
User avatar
Toyopet
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:43 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby rjk » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:52 am

Toyopet wrote:
PBF wrote:I'm in trouble.

Doing the 210 clockwise but have done no where near the training i was hoping to have done by now.

Longest ride was an 80km beach rd ride with the return leg into a pretty stiff headwind. That made me realise just how much harder the full 210 will be than I thought.

Anyone got any advice for last minute preparation? Anything to look out for on the day?


I don't think you're in too much trouble. I look at it this way. The 210/250 are really two rides with a long enforced R&R break in between; namely the ferry wait and crossing. So you'll be somewhat refreshed by the time you start on the 2nd leg.

But I might be in trouble this year. I've had enough of ferry waiting over past years, so am doing the Sorrento and back for the first time. A little sightseeing at Sorrento may be in order :) .



OR COFFEE AND FOOD :)
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane
rjk
 
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby djw47 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:30 pm

Not long to go now. What facilities are there down at Queenscliff for refueling? Is there an official ATBIAD feeding station there or is does the local economy get a boost for the day due to the influx of ferry waiting cyclists?
Image
djw47
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:57 am
Location: The Dandenongs

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby joshnh » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:34 pm

djw47 wrote:Not long to go now. What facilities are there down at Queenscliff for refueling? Is there an official ATBIAD feeding station there or is does the local economy get a boost for the day due to the influx of ferry waiting cyclists?


They provide a lunch, but depending on your energy level and the amount of time you have to wait for the ferry you can head to a local cafe.
Giant Defy Advanced 0 (Ultegra Di2)

Focus Mares AX 2.0

Image
User avatar
joshnh
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:14 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Victoria

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit