Lilydale Yarra Glen railtrail consultations / start of construction

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Lilydale Yarra Glen railtrail consultations / start of construction

Postby antigee » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:35 pm

this topic just raised its head over in a discussion on gravel routes - anyway if anyone is enthused to attend a consultation here are dates from an update emailed out at the start of this week (link here to get on the email list

https://rideyarraranges.us3.list-manage ... 25a1a9154b ) interesting says construction rather than design/consultation starting in Jan 2019

plain text from update copied below

Wondering what's been happening with the Yarra Valley Trail project?

We're getting ready for stage one from Lilydale to Yarra Glen!

Community information sessions
View the Yarra Valley Trail stage one plans and have your questions answered at one of our community information sessions:

Saturday 10th November, 9:00 am to 12:00 pm
Lilydale (at the Lilydale Reserve entry on Main Street near the Olinda Creek bridge)

Thursday 15th November, 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm
Yarra Glen (at McKenzie Reserve)

Saturday 17th November, 9:00 am to 12:00 pm
Yarra Glen (at the pedestrian lights on Bell Street)

Works starting soon!
Construction for stage one of the Yarra Valley Trail will start at the Lilydale end in early 2019.

This stage will be approximately 12 kilometres long and will run along the rail corridor between Lilydale and Yarra Glen.

fat and old

Re: Lilydale Yarra Glen railtrail consultations / start of construction

Postby fat and old » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:10 am

I don't get it? What exactly is being "constructed"? Last time I rode out to Warburton the trail seemed fine to me?

cogs19

Postby cogs19 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:03 pm

fat and old wrote:I don't get it? What exactly is being "constructed"? Last time I rode out to Warburton the trail seemed fine to me?
This is an extension of the current trail, going from Lilydale to Yarra Glen.

There's actually little detail online that I can find but this seems a good summary (albeit a little dated)

http://maroondahbug.info/better-conditi ... ail-trail/

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:00 pm

fat and old wrote:I don't get it? What exactly is being "constructed"? Last time I rode out to Warburton the trail seemed fine to me?
Here is an old thread on the same topic, which includes a map showing the 3 proposed new sections. http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=90083
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:51 pm

Ahhhhh...I get it. That will be grouse!

antigee

Postby antigee » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:26 pm

moving along here's hoping the next section to Yarra Glen comes along too .... copy of email update for those that are interested not sure if link to subscribe for future emails works but have included

"Trail builder announced for Yarra Valley Trail

The Yarra Valley Trail project is one step closer to becoming a reality after the tender was awarded at a Council meeting on Tuesday 26 March.

The Yarra Valley Trail Project will be delivered by local company Kent Environmental and Vegetation Management. Construction for Stage 1A of the Yarra Valley Trail will start in April 2019, between Beresford Road, Lilydale and MacIntyre Lane, Yering.

Cr Fiona McAllister said it was great to see the project come to life after years of planning.

“The trail will help residents keep active and healthy on bike or on foot and connect visitors to food and wine destinations and local businesses in the Yarra Valley,” Cr McAllister said.

Stage one of the Yarra Valley Trail project is funded by the Federal Government’s Regional Growth Fund ($2.5m), State Government’s Growing Suburbs Fund ($2.5m), Eastern Metropolitan Partnership ($1m) and Yarra Ranges Council ($2.5m).

Join our mailing list to keep up to date with the project."

April 1st, 2019|Yarra Valley Trail Project

edit manual link
http://www.rideyarraranges.com.au/categ ... l-project/

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:33 pm

First section is now open, I rode it this afternoon.
Very nice and flat and a great surface, Identical to Warby trail. Could do it on a road bike no worries.
Only 6.5ks open so far - Lilydale to Yering.

Would be a great trail for Kids, no hills nice and wide.

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:45 pm

chriso_29er wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:33 pm
First section is now open, I rode it this afternoon.
Very nice and flat and a great surface, Identical to Warby trail. Could do it on a road bike no worries.
Only 6.5ks open so far - Lilydale to Yering.

Would be a great trail for Kids, no hills nice and wide.

I rode the first 3.5km to the Coldstream Road.
As Chriso said, nice and flat but no shade atm, hopefully some quick growing tree to be planted soon.
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

antigee

Postby antigee » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:14 pm

I see the next section thru to Yarra Glen needs new bridges and is (optimistically) scheduled for end 2021 whats the road like into Yarra Glen? Having driven rather than rode it seems narrow and fast for what it is I usually ride solo and not at 5am hard to tell on google map if there is a shoulder

I would like to do as a loop back over Skyline towards Warrandyte and like the cafe in Yarra Glen any feelers?

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:22 pm

I have ridden the road through there, very early in the morning. I would not do it any other time.
No shoulder at all and some very narrow bridge points.

At the end of the new rail trail there is actually a sign saying to not continue on the road to Yarra Glen as it is unsafe. I found this very interesting.

road_warrior

Postby road_warrior » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:01 pm

chriso_29er wrote: At the end of the new rail trail there is actually a sign saying to not continue on the road to Yarra Glen as it is unsafe. I found this very interesting.
Like Chriso says, you need to leave early, as the road is narrow, and cars drive fast.

I also find it interesting there is a sign telling people not to ride bikes on the road. VicRoads don't often put those up because they would be admitting that the road network has not been built properly for all modes of transport....

antigee

Postby antigee » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:49 pm

chriso_29er wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:22 pm
I have ridden the road through there, very early in the morning. I would not do it any other time.
No shoulder at all and some very narrow bridge points.

At the end of the new rail trail there is actually a sign saying to not continue on the road to Yarra Glen as it is unsafe. I found this very interesting.
cheers that's what I suspected from memories of driving it....guess its wait a couple of years or get the first train to Lilydale rather than ride from home