Does anyone ride around Whittlesea area?

didge

Does anyone ride around Whittlesea area?

Postby didge » Fri May 01, 2009 5:02 pm

After getting bored riding around the suburbs, I'm thinking about squeezing in some lunchtime training rides when at uni at RMIT bundoora. I'm thinking of heading up Plenty Road to Whittlesea, up the Wallan-Whittlesea Road, back down Merrian Road. Or some other sort of combination. The roads look like they've got a decent shoulder to ride on. Has anyone ridden around there? What are the roads/traffic like?

Edit: most parts of the roads have a shoulder. (After poking around on google earth!)

ALEX1

Re: Does anyone ride around Whittlesea area?

Postby ALEX1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:09 pm

I ride down whittlesea quite frequently, the road itself is pretty darn average very bumpy. But like you said the road has a decent shoulder to ride on, its a safe option especially compared to plenty road bundoora way.

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:23 pm

We regularly ride around Whittlesea on our way to/from Kinglake.
I personally don't like Plenty Rd till you get past Mernda and even then the shoulder is littered with glass and other rubbish. But its reasonably safe.
From Whittlesea the best rides are up the Humevale Rd or try the back rounds from the turnoff to Yan Yean out to Arthurs Creek
West of Whittlesea is a bit flat and boring
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

brendan

Postby brendan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:22 pm

KenGS wrote:
Humevale Rd

+1. plenty road ain't so bad, but it's when you head out through humevale things get really enjoyable.

backofthebunch

Postby backofthebunch » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:47 pm

is there a cycle lane from sth morang to whittlesea? i saw this was proposed at some stage