Melbourne Bike Trails at Night

steambao

Melbourne Bike Trails at Night

Postby steambao » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:05 pm

Does anyone ever ride bike trails at night where there is NO lighting, except ambient light from the moon and the odd off street? How about specifically the Plenty River Trail?

I would LOVE to use it but i'm scared there's a boogie monster from the river or something that will come attack me when I'm alone.

So.... safe to ride or not recommended? :|

Cranky Jim

Re: Melbourne Bike Trails at Night

Postby Cranky Jim » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:11 pm

I used to ride the Dandenong Creek trail at around 4am every morning. It taught me how inadequate my LED headlamp was. It was not what I would call safe, but it was fascinating sometimes. The critters come out to play and bikes move very quietly. All sorts of critters, including the odd bunyip. Well, it was probably just a big feral cat, but it sure was ugly. Bats and owls, foxes (so many foxes) bunnies and possums, frog choruses and the occassional strange person in their PJ's...

I left the track on more than one occassion. The black bitumen got lost in the dark without a white line to guide me. I came off the boardwalk at Abbey Chase and ended up in the drink. But my worst experience was quitely riding along when I suddenly cast a shadow, alarmed by the dinging of a bell I looked around the see some mad cyclist advancing at the rate of knots lit up like a christmas tree. In my effort to get out of the way I blundered off the path and ended up in the dew as he flew past.

Full moons on clear nights were superb, but otherwise if you are going to try this get some serious lights. I gave it up after a while because it was just too slow for practical commuting once the novelty wore off.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:57 pm

Don't know the Plenty river trail steamer, but night riding off road is mad! :D

With a good set o' lights that is :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

didge

Postby didge » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:56 pm

Not sure about the Plenty River trail, but I used to ride the Koonung Creek and Yarra trails at night, and never had a problem. But reading bad stories about other paths at night (St Georges Road trail, M7 cycleway - yeah I know its not in Melbourne) kinda turned me off it.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:21 am

what happened on the StGeorge's Road trail?

didge

Postby didge » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:01 am

jules21 wrote:what happened on the StGeorge's Road trail?
St Georges Road ambush. Yes, ambush! - from the BV forums.

Also remembered i've ridden the Anniversary trail at night without incident

roobs

Postby roobs » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:08 am

I do a lot of night riding. As in, dead-of-the-night riding, often around 2 or 3am, usually coming home late from an essay session at uni along the bike trail of Princes park alongside Royal Pde. I like it a lot. I take my time, enjoy observing everything being so still, picturing how it will look in only a few hours, chockers full of traffic..
I've also ridden the St George's trail frequently at night and felt quite safe since it's lit-up a little from the road (which is why that story about the am-bush came as a bit of a shock). The Merri Creek trail is an old favourite. With the full moon shining down guiding the way, I've found it to be quite a beautiful ride to do, although with good lights of course as the path is fairly narrow.
In my experience, the biggest danger of late night riding is being inebriated after coming home from a few too many drinks! :oops:
I had a close call once, nowhere near traffic, but hit a major bump and my reflexes were obviously not super sharp, so I came down hard and removed some serious skin.
Lesson learnt.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:08 am

the ambush looks pretty random, i suppose it could happen to anyone

steambao

Postby steambao » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:16 am

Wow. That St.Georges bush incident is probably my worst nightmare :shock:
I decided to bring a friend along to ride with me so it wasn't too bad :D And yes, my once 'bright light' didn't seem bright at all - I think I'll need to buy two to suffice :mrgreen:

I guess late at night I'll just have to stick to the main roads as I can't imagine changing a flat with just a bike light.

sharktamin

Postby sharktamin » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:20 pm

I used the Warburton Rail Trail from Lilydale to Mt Evelyn every morning (1am) for a couple of weeks this winter and generally found it a pleasant experience. It was as dark as pitch a few times and only once did I try it without lights. No lights = crazy, easier to ride your local streets with a blindfold... My ride was short and to the point, but I think a group ride would be a really enjoyable event.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:09 pm

Groups of MTB riders do get out and ride singletrack trails at night. Pitch black, well away from any street lighting. I've ridden the MTB tracks alongside the Yarra Trail, parts of the Dandenongs (Doongalla, Sherbrooke Forest, Belgrave & Upwey) and the Lysterfild MTB trails. You need some very good lights - at least two 10W, one on the bars, one on the helmet. And you need to ride with some mates. Together you'll help to light up each other's way and if there's any falls or mechanical problems you need support.

But it is seriously good fun :D . Moderate trail speeds feel like you're flying and there's a surprise around every corner.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

steambao

Postby steambao » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:01 pm

Ok, road some of the Plenty River Trail at 1.30am. Spooked myself at each turn thinking someone was going to come up and push me into the river. Merged onto the Main Yarra Trail and journeyed into the city (now 2am). The light from the highway gave me some confidence, but the unlit sections really freaked me out.

Guess I need to invest in some lights that see me farther than a few metres ahead... or HTFU.