Colorado Mtn Biker moving to Melbourne

mtwahoo

Colorado Mtn Biker moving to Melbourne

Postby mtwahoo » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:25 am

Hello All!

I will be relocating to South Melbourne from Colorado Springs here in about a week. I'm bringing my enduro and looking to hook up with some local riders to see the trails. I stoked to get out of the cold and rip up some dirt at sealevel. What kind of riding should i expect? I do not detect the presence of any real mountains, which is fine I need a break from the hills. I'm thinking a 6" trail bike is probably over kill but it's all I have right now. Also, I'm going to need to pick up a single speed cheap city bike for around town. I appreciate any advice you have for me, thanks alot!

elmo

Re: Colorado Mtn Biker moving to Melbourne

Postby elmo » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:27 am

Hey mate,

I'm no expert on MTB'ing through Melbourne but there certainly are plenty of places to ride. Close to the city there is the Yarra Trail which hugs the river right round through Fairfield. There's a MUP path, there's a designated MTB trail, then there's also the infamous Yarra Boulevard for the roadies, all in one area. The MTB trail can be pretty long and it has some climbs.

There's also lots of great MTB'ing riding through The You Yangs. It's over west, just past Weribbee (about 40mins drive from Melbourne). This has great dedicated MTB trails. It's a mountain and there's a few trails to choose from, varying in degree of difficulties.

Out in the Otway Forrest, there's are several MTB tracks ranging in length and difficulty. It's a bit of a drive from Melbourne (2.5 hours) but it's quite nice out there. They used these particular tracks for some championships (World Championship is what the LBS guy in Colac said) in 2008.

Haven't been to a MTB trail in the Dandenong Mountains but I'm certain there are a few around there.

Since I've been riding, I've come to realize that melbourne isn't as flat as it seems. The city is, no doubt. But once you leave the inner city, there are some great mountains to climb.

I'll ask around in my LBS' as a couple of guys there are avid MTB'ers. I'll jot down what they have to say and where they recommend.

BTW, you'll love Melbourne on and off the bike!!

elmo

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:47 am

elmo wrote:Since I've been riding, I've come to realize that melbourne isn't as flat as it seems. The city is, no doubt. But once you leave the inner city, there are some great mountains to climb.
errrr - the man is from Colorado where they have real mountains :lol:
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:31 am

mtwahoo wrote:Hello All!

I will be relocating to South Melbourne from Colorado Springs here in about a week. I'm bringing my enduro and looking to hook up with some local riders to see the trails. I stoked to get out of the cold and rip up some dirt at sealevel. What kind of riding should i expect? I do not detect the presence of any real mountains, which is fine I need a break from the hills.
Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy our city. I'm also not a MTB rider but there are plenty around
mtwahoo wrote:I'm thinking a 6" trail bike is probably over kill but it's all I have right now.
Hey, that's cute. Is that like the little bikes that the monkeys ride in the circus? (j/k)
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

elmo

Postby elmo » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:16 am

KenGS wrote:
elmo wrote:Since I've been riding, I've come to realize that melbourne isn't as flat as it seems. The city is, no doubt. But once you leave the inner city, there are some great mountains to climb.
errrr - the man is from Colorado where they have real mountains :lol:
Yup. my bad... We're no doubt flat compared to you guys! :mrgreen:

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:48 am

You'll want to check out Rotorburn its the main Australian MTB forums

Or speak to BSC QV... a couple of the boys there seem to know what's going on in the way of MTB...

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:52 am

Oh and FYI you will probably want to head nth east of Melbourne to Plenty up through Eltham and so forth... Cadel Evans spent most of his youth training up that way, also Mt Hotham and so forth.

ForkinGreat

Postby ForkinGreat » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:08 pm

+1 on Rotorburn.com 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krrINXCwdM8

kibnedyo

Postby kibnedyo » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:35 am

Welcome to Aus Mr Colorado,

Sure our mountains can be measured in feet compared to metres in US and other countries. However at the start of a big climb/descent our hills can be as challenging/dangerous out there, even if runs are arguably shorter.

You are certainly arriving here with the right attitude to explore. I reckon you will enjoy your cycling experiences here from sedate to extreme. One thing you may find different are the weather extremes you have to ride in compared to "home".

Check out rotorburn, stores and MTB clubs such as those listed with MTB Australia http://www.mtba.asn.au/

Check your enthusiasm at Border control. Once you are here, you may never want to leave.

PS: You sure don't sound like the type who will not settle for one bike after arrival and find what Melb/Vic/Aus offers....... I lay odds even you will end up with more! :wink:

Dxs

Postby Dxs » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:34 am

Maybe try out Lysterfield Park,

has a commonwealth games MTB track there as well as many other trails.

A bit far from the CBD though

http://www.bv.com.au/file/Lysterfield%2 ... er(15).pdf

MattyP

Postby MattyP » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:19 pm

From South Melbourne you're about dead centre from Lysty & The You Yangs. Decisions decisions!

There's also crits in Port Melbourne (just near South Melbourne) each Thursday night run by FGP: http://www.fullgaspromotions.com.au/Dir ... dirt-crits

Over at bv there are also regular mtb discussion & rides. http://www.bv.com.au/forums/index.php

You'll get some pretty warm riding days here in the coming months. Oh, do you like snakes? 8)

I'm too young to post url's yet ....
Last edited by Missy24 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed the URL for you

rearviewmirror

Postby rearviewmirror » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:34 am

Hey... I just moved here from the US too. (I went to Colorado State University, and grew up in Pueblo.) Send me a message when you make it to Melbourne. As far as mountain biking goes I've found Melbourne disappointing. I'm used to our riding in Austin where we have epic trails right outside the city, riding to the ride was never a problem. Other than Lysterfield and Youyangs there isn't much going on the MTB world, and those places aren't practical for a quick ride after work. Road riding on the other hand is pretty good, the bike infrastructure is awesome, and you can get just about anywhere safely by bike. If Melbourne had some parks/trails close to the city, this place would be a biking mecca. I guess I'm bitter because I brought 5 mountain bikes with me from the US. :D

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:39 pm

MTB trails (of questionable legality :wink: ) begin around Fairfield area(<10kms from the CBD), and continue alongside the Yarra Trail all the way out beyond Eltham. Just ride along the Main Yarra Trail and look out for any little rabbit runs heading off through the bush. They tend to wind about a lot, are often closer to the river and have some cool gully drops along the way. This blog gives some good pics and ride reports on riding trails around Melbourne. Warrandyte (Fourth Hill) is good for some loop trails too, or use the suburban train to go to Boronia and head up to Doongala in The Basin at the foot of the Dandenongs.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."