confidence riding on the road

jules21

confidence riding on the road

Postby jules21 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:02 pm

yesterday, saturday, about 2pm, i decided to go for a ride to the Dandenongs from Brunswick, out via the Maroondah Hwy. i turned back at Middleborough Road, as i felt swamped by traffic and as a result, unsafe. instead, i did a few laps of Kew Boulevard.

i know the best time is early in the morning, but some weekends, especially if i haven't teed up a riding partner, i struggle to get myself up that early. the thing is, i used to do that ride when i was younger, dozens of times, without a problem.

does anyone else brave melbourne's arterial roads during the daytime? am i just being a woosbag?

fitz

Re: confidence riding on the road

Postby fitz » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:06 pm

I just plain gave up on that road a few years back. I will drive to the dandenongs now or get the hell out of the city in the car and ride in the sticks.
I know where you're coming from.
Can I have some of these?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:17 pm

Not scared of traffic as such, just a healthy respect at all times. Swamped is an interesting word, most of the time I see it as one more challenge on the ride but if the situation gets so bad that you feel unsafe you did the right thing by aborting the run or taking an alternate. Saturday arvos and Friday evenings seem to be the worst times IME, too many people pootling about with their brains firmly fixed in "anything but driving" mode. No two situations are ever the same so it's always a case of making the call at the time. My few experiences on the Maroondah have been, shall we say "interesting" if not perceived to be suicidal at the time. Mount Alexander Rd has scared me more.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:28 pm

i didn't get any specific hassle from motorists, but the road is narrow in sections, forcing cars around me. the Whitehorse Rd section is fine as there are parked cars for cover, but when there is a clear LH lane, i feel like a speed hump. maybe i just need to get used to it, but i think i've grown more cautious in my older age.
fitz wrote:I just plain gave up on that road a few years back. I will drive to the dandenongs now or get the hell out of the city in the car and ride in the sticks.
this may be the solution, but it adds to the hassle.

Cinder

Postby Cinder » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:24 pm

I avoid that road where ever possible, it's not too bad in a car, but it's terrible on a bike of any sort.

I tried Canterbury road once, that was even worse. Some parts of Canterbury Rd are just so narrow it is a joke and I find in general once you clear Surrey Hills the driving standard drops considerably (that's not to say it's particularly good in Surrey Hills).

If you felt swamped, and I completely get why you would, then you did the right thing in turning around.
*** insert signature here ***

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:44 pm

jules21 wrote:
does anyone else brave melbourne's arterial roads during the daytime? am i just being a woosbag?
Not a 'woosbag', just sensible. No use being tough and injured or dead. If you don't feel comfortable with the traffic then try and find another road/area to ride.

fixie

Postby fixie » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:44 pm

I am with fitz on this. Used to do this as one of my regular long rides, out Maroondah Hwy to Lilydale, Warburton and back. Now I take the car to a suitable low traffic place and enjoy the peace of the country or forest or hills or whatever. The traffic is so heavy that riding with it is unpleasant and uncomfortable. Talking recently to an old pro, who used to ride on the Olympic Park Velodrome, he told me that it is becoming so unpleasant that he is considering limiting himself to bike paths.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:16 pm

i have resisted driving out as it adds significantly to the time out of my day and is an inconvenience, but i may have to concede defeat.

bike paths are ok, but many near me are concrete slabs with an endless shuddering as i pass over the joints on my roadie. it's not really safe to do road bike speeds on them either, when sharing with peds.