What Now ??

elmo

What Now ??

Postby elmo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:57 am

Ok, so, the AAC is now over. I've decided to do the ACE250 next year but I (we) need something to fill in the year.

What rides/events are there?

Missy24

Re: What Now ??

Postby Missy24 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:02 am

October is the adventure race

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:07 am

Run for the kids - 14.6km course Sunday 14th march

Sunday, May 16, 2010 - Great Ocean Road Half Marathon 23km (ok so I know its not cycling)

psike

Postby psike » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:34 am

How about come to Canberra and try Fitz's Epic. For the record I found the Epic more difficult than the ACE, but the Epic was a hotter day and I'd had a bad lead up due to illness...

http://www.clubsonline.com.au/site/inde ... 5200931252

Fitz's Challenge - Australia's Toughest Cycle Challenge?

It's on again - Sunday 31 October 2010
(Sunday before Melbourne Cup)

Fitz's Challenge is Canberra’s biggest and best known long-distance one-day participation event. Test your skills, fitness and endurance by taking on the Brindabella Ranges in one of 4 challenges. 2010 will be its 23nd year, this challenge is still unique in its combination of terrain, distance and weather!
Four Challenges to Test You

If you are looking for a physical challenge to push yourself and test your capabilities, the Fitz's Challenge is for you. Dare to cycle above your limits and achieve your personal goals. There are four challenges to suit different levels of experience and interest:

1. EPIC Challenge 207 km, a hill grinding odyssey
2. CLASSIC Challenge 165 km, a daunting challenge with plenty of climbing
3. THARWA Challenge 105 km, this one will sneak up on the complacent
4. TIDBINBILLA Challenge 50 km, designed specifically to challenge newcomers

These rides are not races or time trials. They are non-competitive long distance tours by bicycle, called 'randonnees' where you ride at your own pace to finish within the time limit. Rides are open to all reasonably fit riders.

READY FOR THE CHALLENGE? Online entries opening in May 2010!

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

rearviewmirror

Postby rearviewmirror » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:23 pm

^ In for the above cycling event... and the Run for the Kids.. and a couple of half marathons leading up to the Melbourne Marathon. Going to be a good summer/autumn/winter! I've got to get all this in as my time in Australia is limited just 3 years. :)

elmo

Postby elmo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:49 pm

hmmm.. the marathons and half marathons/run for the kids runs sounds good.

I'd love to do the Fitz's Challenge but it was hard enough to get time off work for the AAC, even with months and months notice.

I'll be trying to stick to events run in and around Melbourne (one day-er events).

I'll be doing some midweek trips to The Otways, Mt.Donna, Mt.Baw Baw etc.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:52 pm

Still trying to decide whether or not I will do ATB again this year.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:55 pm

im_no_pro wrote:Still trying to decide whether or not I will do ATB again this year.
That'll be a no for me... all those people... arghh

psike

Postby psike » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:57 pm

elmo wrote:hmmm.. the marathons and half marathons/run for the kids runs sounds good.

I'd love to do the Fitz's Challenge but it was hard enough to get time off work for the AAC, even with months and months notice.
Fly up the night before and if you finish early enough fly home that arvo :)

I'm heading down to Vic again next month for the Scody High Country ride - and at some point I think I need to go see Baw Baw for myself....

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:58 pm

elmo wrote:Ok, so, the AAC is now over. I've decided to do the ACE250 next year but I (we) need something to fill in the year.

I have done about 20 Audax rides in the last year and really enjoyed them. Calendar is here: http://audax.org.au/public/index.php?op ... Itemid=176 just select your state, start and end months and hit search. Looks like there are some interesting rides in Vic coming up in Feb and Mar.
<removed by request>

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:05 pm

Missy24 wrote:
im_no_pro wrote:Still trying to decide whether or not I will do ATB again this year.
Just drop em :twisted:

Seriously though, last years ATB was my second ever 'event'. I had no issues with it. Sure, the flow for the first few k's was a bit messed up but it sorted itself out pretty quickly. I treated it for what it was (i.e. not a race) and I had no issues. Interesting concept that just crossed my mind: The argy bargy between the serious cyclists and recreationals during ATB is similar to the day to day between cyclists and motorists. If the serious cyclists didnt mind being held up for a bit by slower traffic then their blood wouldn't boil so damn much.

....Runs and hides.... 8)
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

elmo

Postby elmo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:09 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
Missy24 wrote:

Seriously though, last years ATB was my second ever 'event'. I had no issues with it. Sure, the flow for the first few k's was a bit messed up but it sorted itself out pretty quickly. I treated it for what it was (i.e. not a race) and I had no issues. Interesting concept that just crossed my mind: The argy bargy between the serious cyclists and recreationals during ATB is similar to the day to day between cyclists and motorists. If the serious cyclists didnt mind being held up for a bit by slower traffic then their blood wouldn't boil so damn much.

well said. ;)

CC, Thanks for the Audax Calender. I'll be going through it tonight and may even sign up to be an Audax Member.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:22 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
Missy24 wrote:

INP its not the event that I don't like it and I would never consider myself a serious cyclist, its seriously about all the people.

I don't like being surrounded by to many people

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:30 pm

missy24 wrote: INP its not the event that I don't like it and I would never consider myself a serious cyclist, its seriously about all the people.

Wasnt so much suggesting that was you, moreso making a point in case you had been put off by comments from the sort of people I was referring to :wink:

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:31 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
missy24 wrote: INP its not the event that I don't like it and I would never consider myself a serious cyclist, its seriously about all the people.

Wasnt so much suggesting that was you, moreso making a point in case you had been put off by comments from the sort of people I was referring to :wink:
Oh no... I don't mind serious cyclists.... I have a few in my building, nice to look at

anth73

Postby anth73 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:42 pm

Missy24 wrote:Oh no... I don't mind serious cyclists.... I have a few in my building, nice to look at
You're terrible Muriel.......
Website: http://www.bcycling.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Facebook: Banyule Cycling Club
Twitter: @BanyuleCC

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:45 pm

anth73 wrote:
Missy24 wrote:Oh no... I don't mind serious cyclists.... I have a few in my building, nice to look at
:lol: :lol:

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:46 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
anth73 wrote:
:lol: :lol:
I'm a girl... what do you expect?

atham

Postby atham » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:47 pm

elmo wrote:
CC, Thanks for the Audax Calender. I'll be going through it tonight and may even sign up to be an Audax Member.
+1, I was looking at some of the VIC rides last night, which look interesting and run throughout the year too.

But as a self confessed weenie, :wink: I would need to be participating with familiar company.
Shogun Samurai 1988
BPR SR3 2011
MASI CX 2013

~ Andrew

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:59 pm

atham wrote:
elmo wrote:
+1, I was looking at some of the VIC rides last night, which look interesting and run throughout the year too.

But as a self confessed weenie, :wink: I would need to be participating with familiar company.
I just lobbed up for my first ride in March last year, not sure if I would know anyone at all. I ended up riding most of the first leg by myself (which I enjoyed so much it was actually what got me hooked!). The blokes were exceedingly nice and ended up being good company. It turns out on my first ride, there were actually a number of forumites who I met and then got to know online. There are quite a number of active Vic forum riders so maybe you could arrange to meet and ride together on one of the Audax rides?
<removed by request>

lukas

Postby lukas » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:58 pm

psike wrote:How about come to Canberra and try Fitz's Epic. For the record I found the Epic more difficult than the ACE, but the Epic was a hotter day and I'd had a bad lead up due to illness...
+1. The Fitz Epic is just that.. epic. I suffered more on that ride than I did the Alpine Classic (200km). The climbs arn't nearly as long but they are just so steep. Fitz Hill and the first few kms of Honeysuckle were carnage! The roads are a lot more undulating in between the major climbs too, so the legs are just getting sapped all day long.

Overall it wasn't as enjoyable a weekend as the Alpine though.
Cervelo R3
Canyon Ultimate AL

whad

Postby whad » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:46 pm

I regularly ride Audax and would be happy to meet up with other BNA members

Pax

Postby Pax » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:11 pm

elmo wrote:Ok, so, the AAC is now over. I've decided to do the ACE250 next year but I (we) need something to fill in the year.

Sea 2 Summit :D :D of course!! :roll:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23620

fredinver

Postby fredinver » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:26 pm

Not a day ride but an overnight event. The Murray to Moyne http://www.murraytomoyne.com.au/

Find yourself a friend at a health service and they should be able to put you in touch with a team. Relay event overnight about 500km (but you don't ride it all normally)
A good bit of night riding, 90km on sunday to finish off and raising funds for health services.
A bad days riding beats a good day working!
GT3 Trike
CA2.0

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:42 pm

i'm doing the cyclosportif Marysville ride on Feb 20.