Moving to Melbourne - where should we live?

Re: Moving to Melbourne - where should we live?

Postby Missy24 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:23 pm

I love preston market, always had a heap of fun shopping there when I was living in heidelberg, but now I'm kind of obsessed with Prahran market and the food down that way.

I miss the cakes in preston
Missy24

by BNA » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:53 pm

BNA

Postby rkelsen » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:53 pm

Missy24 wrote:I love preston market, always had a heap of fun shopping there when I was living in heidelberg, but now I'm kind of obsessed with Prahran market and the food down that way.

:shock: You enjoy paying $10 for a cobb sized loaf of bread? You can get a whole treccia at Preston Market for $1.50, and it'll knock your socks off.
rkelsen

Postby j-ho » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:14 pm

rkelsen wrote:
Missy24 wrote:I love preston market, always had a heap of fun shopping there when I was living in heidelberg, but now I'm kind of obsessed with Prahran market and the food down that way.

:shock: You enjoy paying $10 for a cobb sized loaf of bread? You can get a whole treccia at Preston Market for $1.50, and it'll knock your socks off.

Remember that Prahran market is a boutique market for yuppies, and Preston market is an honest market for everyone.
j-ho

Postby Missy24 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:20 pm

j-ho wrote:
rkelsen wrote:

Remember that Prahran market is a boutique market for yuppies, and Preston market is an honest market for everyone.

You calling me a yuppie? Probably close to the truth... but I'm nice
Missy24

Postby gcouyant » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:01 pm

j-ho wrote:Remember that Prahran market is a boutique market for yuppies, and Preston market is an honest market for everyone.

Perhaps. Each targets the demands of consumers very well. That's one of the great things about Melbourne that we often take for granted. We have so much diversity here and it makes for a terrific city, regardless of how we want to stereotype each other.

That said, if I wanted a $17 piece of organic broccoli I know where I'd go :wink:

Seriously, it's only after you return from travelling away that you realize just how good we have it here. I'm reminded often.
George from iSi Advanced Bicycle Carrier Systems
gcouyant

Postby j-ho » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:52 pm

Missy24 wrote:
j-ho wrote:
rkelsen wrote::shock: You enjoy paying $10 for a cobb sized loaf of bread? You can get a whole treccia at Preston Market for $1.50, and it'll knock your socks off.

I'm sure you are nice, and I'm not calling you a yuppie... Maybe you just need to embrace the workingclass part of yourself.. :D
j-ho

Postby elmo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:00 pm

Missy's a yuppie.
elmo

Postby Missy24 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:03 pm

elmo wrote:Missy's a yuppie.

LMAO... Elmo would be but his downfall is Sunshine
Missy24

Postby elmo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:17 pm

I'll never be a yuppie but I can always pose as one.
elmo

Postby Missy24 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:18 pm

elmo wrote:I'll never be a yuppie but I can always pose as one.

:wink:
Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:44 am

j-ho wrote:
Missy24 wrote:
j-ho wrote:Remember that Prahran market is a boutique market for yuppies, and Preston market is an honest market for everyone.

I'm sure you are nice, and I'm not calling you a yuppie... Maybe you just need to embrace the workingclass part of yourself.. :D

Workingclass part of myself... um... noooooooooooo thanks, been there and excelled past that, no need to look back, its all about the future
Missy24

Postby X-Infinity » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:04 pm

the whole inner east is jam packed with beautiful suburbs. North is generally scummy and cheap and the west is pritty empty, lots of cheap houses there aswell.
Depends weather u have cash and how far ur willing to travel.
If u can afford it defs go for the eastern suburbs... alot of them can be to posh and over the top but there are some more subtle ones where u can find a nice house in a quiet street with a park near by and such.
or u can buy a huge house in the development areas 30-40 mins drive from the city.
Publictransport is accessiable throughout the larger melbourne region, trains trams busses. but often delayed. not to bad in general tho.
hope this helps. reguards.
- - - - - - __o
-------- _\<,_
_____ (_)/ (_) ....to infinity, and beyond!!!
X-Infinity

Postby kujux800 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:27 pm

living down south east, I find the roads slightly more safe to ride, theres more dedicated road bike lane now which is awesome. east of Melbourne got it all, Mt dandenong, Beach Roads, Arthur Seat climb, Mt donnna Buang abit of drive from east
kujux800

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:32 am

The OP asked for opinions about where to live. A lot of real estate and where to live stuff is based on perceptions. Anyones perceptions are valid and it is equally valid for someone to disagree with them. But don't attack the person, attack the opinion.

IMO, Missy was on the money with the warning against Heidelberg West. I nearly bought an investment property there but it was too scummy (my impression of it) - I would not want to live there. Heidelberg Heights is better but I would rather live in Ivanhoe, Heidelberg or Rosanna. It is interesting that houses are more expensive there than in Heidelberg Heights and Heidelberg West is cheaper still. Where people want to live, the houses are generally more expensive.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby velocopedant » Fri May 07, 2010 3:14 pm

Any of the suburbs in a straight line to the east would be nice: East Melbourne, Richmond, Hawthorn or Camberwell. If Bella doesn't want to move there I might have to do it myself.
velocopedant

Postby birdbrain » Thu May 13, 2010 2:32 pm

The Op could also check out Moonee Ponds, Ascot Vale, Essendon, Strathmore. All within easy commuting distance from the CBD. Either by public transport or bicycle commute.
Area's to be avoided at all cost IMO: Broadmeadows, Keon Park and surrounds, Sunshine, Laverton :wink:
birdbrain

Postby vfrkenny » Mon May 17, 2010 11:03 am

I guess it depends on the prorities of each of your needs, cycling 1st, transport to CBD 2nd, affordable housing 3rd. I live in Frankston so I'll give you an opinion. Real estate values are going up but you can get reasonable stuff for +400k, 1 hour train ride to the city, it has a nice beach and as far as cycling goes, I roll down to the Nepean Highway and if I'm full of beans I go left over the hills and down the peninsula and if I want an easier or faster run I turn right and go up to Beach Road, just re-boot your broken glass detection app. Good luck.
vfrkenny

Postby The Womble » Mon May 17, 2010 11:18 am

Not in Melbourne
The Womble

Postby Westgarth » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:01 pm

Dallas is the place to be!

My brother was thinking of moving there a couple of years back and asked my Dad for his opinion. He said it's a fine neighbourhood as long as you don't own anything you wouldn't mind being stolen.
Westgarth

Postby Optimus Verto » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:44 pm

Westgarth wrote:Dallas is the place to be!

He said it's a fine neighbourhood as long as you don't own anything you wouldn't mind being stolen.

ROFL

For OP, if still open for suggestions :)

Guide your self by rent price, $400 should afford you nice 3 bedroom unit or house. Generally, if you get more of a property for this money then area is so-so, if you get something smaller than 3 bed. then IMO area is too posh.

Cheers
Optimus Verto

Postby Westgarth » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:49 pm

I'd have to agree with most of the sentiments on where not to move. The major problem is crime. There are a lot of areas in Melbourne which are basically overrun by criminals, and it may not be immediately apparent if you ride around for a few hours but watch out for:

Rows of vacant shops with the exception of TABs, chip-shops and bottle-o's;
Community Corrections Office buildings;
Groups of louts loitering on street corners all day every day;
People wearing 'hoodies' all day every day;
Shops which are obvious fronts for drug dealing (Cafes that never sell any coffee, milk bars with tiny amounts of stock all past the use-by dates etc);
Flats and housing commission premises dominating the area;
Police cars driving around slowly all the time (yet they just don't seem to be able to catch the crooks, or maybe they do but there are too many to lock up);
Absence of public amenities (public toilets, bike racks, libraries, swimming pools, rubbish bins).

I think someone mentioned Keon Park.....
Westgarth

Postby j-ho » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:24 am

Westgarth wrote:Groups of louts loitering on street corners all day every day;
People wearing 'hoodies' all day every day;
Shops which are obvious fronts for drug dealing (Cafes that never sell any coffee, milk bars with tiny amounts of stock all past the use-by dates etc);
Flats and housing commission premises dominating the area;

Sounds like Fitzroy :D
j-ho

Postby backofthebunch » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:41 am

i hope when/if you move/moved you consider more than Missy24's opinion.

I just purchased in Preston, and I love the area. its affordable, on train, trams and not far to cycle to town either. Preston markets are also great.

I've lived in Ivanhoe (renting) for 1 year and if I ever can afford it i would love to own... its got a lovely main st.

Footscray and anywhere west will boom in value in the next 5 years.

I grew up in Eltham personally, if you dont mind being 20km from the CBD, its great. Lots of trees and rolling hills, on the train line, not far for kinglake, panton hill etc.

dont limit yourself to a 10km radius... but it is nice to be close to town.
backofthebunch

Postby backofthebunch » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:44 am

in relation to some earlier posts:

lets not forget there is pleny of scum in sth yarra / prahran.

I work around this area and it can be feral. there are commision flats full of fithy druggies riding around on stolen mountain bikes asking for my change.

inner north/north east is where its at
backofthebunch

Postby GusG » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:31 pm

I am in Northcote and there is a pretty good mix of things there. Plenty of eating, drinking, entertainment establishments close by and also some nice parks etc nearby. The preston markets are not far away and they are pretty nice. I also enjoy going to Ceres market for fresh, local and organic fruit and veg.
GusG

PreviousNext

Return to Victoria