Around the Bay in a Day Discussion

Around the Bay in a Day Discussion

Postby RobRollin » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:44 am

Instead of having several different topics, thought we would consolidate them into one discussion. Questions, remarks, thoughts, hints and meeting places for the day. Also updates on what tickets are still available.

How many BNA members are riding in the ATB ride? And what direction are you taking?
RobRollin

by BNA » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:26 am

BNA

Re: Around the Bay in a Day Discussion

Postby elmo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:26 am

We're in. 210km Sorrento.

Manage to get your tix yet Rob?
elmo

Postby Nix » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:29 am

I'll join in on the joint discussion RR..
Doing the ATB for the first time this year - given that the Melb-Queen-Sor-Melb option is sold out, it looks like I'll be going the other way (completely forgot about registrations last week)... must say I'm not really looking forward to the Queenscliff-Melbourne leg... I get tired even driving that road... so boring! Will be looking for some wheels to suck on (and hoping for a tailwind)..
Have done the ride from Melb-Sor a few times - it's a nice ride with Mt Eliza adding a bit of spice :)
Will most probably be my first double century so I'm pretty pumped for that too..
Nix

Postby Missy24 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:19 pm

100km with Team Boom
Missy24

Postby Bloodywind101 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:59 pm

I am planning to do the 210 km option without ferry, just not sure which direction. I have now completed the 100 km twice so looking for another challenge. The last time I tried the 210, it was the year it absolutely poured and after 80 kms, i had to withdraw due to freezing etc. Looking forward to this year as I now have a new (to me) road bike and cleats for the first time.
Bloodywind101

Postby ratter » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:45 pm

Thinking about trying the 100 klm ride, is there a time limit on these rides?

Just a question re 100 klm ride, does having stops still count as a 100 klm ride? I would like to clock up my first 100 klm ride, but not sure where breaks would fit into that to count it as a genuine 100 klm
ratter

Postby Bloodywind101 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:25 pm

Ratter, there is a time limit of sorts, but you can keep riding after the official time (about 6pm from memory) but you will need lights and you may need to go on other roads. No distance is taken off for the stops which are spaced out at about each 25 km mark or so. last year i did the 100 km ride from Sorrento to Alexandra Gardens and finished in about five hours. To get to Sorrento you can either go via the Bicycle Vic transport or organise your own. Good luck and the 100 km ride is enjoyable and can be done with only moderate fitness. Hope this helps.
Bloodywind101

Postby ratter » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:32 pm

Thanks for the answers, now another question if I may, having done the 100 klm course yourself, which is the hardest part of that course? I imagine the lower part of the peninsula would be harder than the finish end, is this correct? I personally would rather get the hard stuff out of the way early on.
ratter

Postby Bloodywind101 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:45 pm

No probs Ratter, the first 10 kms arent to bad and then there are a few hill on the way into Frankston, which is the 1/2 way point. That said, the hill are gradual and can be taken at a slow and steady pace. The bike I was on last year was a malvern star bogart hybrid which is a heavy weight and I completed all the hills. Once you get to Mordialloc which is about 60 kms it is flat from there. The longest ride i did last year prior to ATB was 35 kms, so a moderate fitness will get you through. Hope this helps.
Bloodywind101

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:59 am

I'm in, doing the 210km (pretty sure) with work. I'll be meeting them in Geelong however, wedding the night before. So prob about 150km for me.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby MikeyJ » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:55 am

Another first-timer here. 210km Sorrento with ferry, riding with a mate who's done it twice before.

Training has already started in earnest after a VERY slack start to 2010... :oops:
MikeyJ

Postby ratter » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:09 pm

Bloodywind101 wrote:No probs Ratter, the first 10 kms arent to bad and then there are a few hill on the way into Frankston, which is the 1/2 way point. That said, the hill are gradual and can be taken at a slow and steady pace. The bike I was on last year was a malvern star bogart hybrid which is a heavy weight and I completed all the hills. Once you get to Mordialloc which is about 60 kms it is flat from there. The longest ride i did last year prior to ATB was 35 kms, so a moderate fitness will get you through. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice
ratter

Postby Batman » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:24 pm

I'm also in - I've chosen the 210km via Sorrento (with Ferry). It's my first time doing the ride: anyone got some training tips?
Batman

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:02 pm

Batman wrote:I'm also in - I've chosen the 210km via Sorrento (with Ferry). It's my first time doing the ride: anyone got some training tips?

Without going into great detail, its all about time in the saddle. Most of the training plans I have come across for ATB suggest ideally a 12 week leadup program. Don't stress to much about pace, your not racing. Get used to your bum being attached to your bike for long periods, but dont burn yourself out training at the last minute. To be honest, I did bugger all training for the 210km last year and still managed it quite well. And I am far from a picture of fitness :)

Hot tip #1 - if you are riding on your own or with one or two other people, latch on to groups and make your life a lot easier. Just be prepared a) make sure they are happy for you to join in if they are an organised group, b) follow their 'rules' (again if its a single organised group) and c) do your turn at the front. Doesnt have to be a huge stint, just get out there and do as much as you can.

I was riding with one other person last year, and we did this for most of the day. Tagged on to a few organised groups and set some lightning pace, other times we managed to form a bigger group out of individuals/smaller groups and all help each other out. Particularly for the section between Geelong and Melbourne where the wind can be a killer.

Will try to find the links to training programs I have come across in the past. Will post them up if I find them.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby jules21 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:14 pm

will probably do the Melb -> Sorrento -> Melb ride again.

i'm no elite athlete, but i find ATB to be pretty cruisy - it's very flat so you can just ride along at your own pace. definitely get used to spending time in the saddle first, though.
jules21

Postby whad » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:30 pm

We should organise some group training rides closer to the day
whad

Postby Toolish » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:18 am

I am keen to do it but need to do some more research as I am a little confused by how it all works.

Are there set start times?

I would look at starting over Geelong side of the bay and coming around, and finish sorrento side. Which route would that be? I can't seem to find information on the different route options.
Toolish

Postby Bloodywind101 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:50 am

Greetings Toolish, there are start time for the rides, have you checked out Bicycle Victoria site. The 210 km options start from 6.00 am ( i think). There are restrictions for going over the West gate bridge. The 210 km route basically follows the bay and at Geelong makes an almost straight line to Queenscliff. When you type around the bay in a day training route into Google, you get the pdf map and it is the red colour. All rides except the 100 km option start from the Gardens along the yarra river. Hope this helps.
Bloodywind101

Postby jules21 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:04 pm

Toolish wrote:Are there set start times?

there are, but i didn't bother rolling through the official start line. i joined up on Beaconsfield Parade.

since there are no transponders, it doesn't really matter.
jules21

Postby Nix » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:06 am

I'm trying to set myself a target for this ride - what's a reasonable time to finish this in (total riding time - not including the time waiting for a ferry etc)?
Just did the Degani Kinglake 120km/h in just under 4 hours but know I won't be able to maintain 30km/h for 210km, was thinking to aim for 7.5 hours (28km/h) - is this a little too ambitious (I'm thinking that if I find a good bunch for some of the way, average will get a boost)?
Nix

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:46 pm

Would it be bad if I gatecrashed? I don't want to upset participants. I have been invited to ride from Sorrento but $100 seems a bit steep for a 100km ride...
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Ticket Swap - My Queenscliff ticket for the other one

Postby dommy_g » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:56 pm

I have a ticket to the sold-out anticlockwise 2010 Around the Bay (Queenscliff/Ferry/Sorrento), which I want to trade for the un-sold-out clockwise direction (Sorrento/Ferry/Queenscliff). Anybody happy to drop by my work in the city (top of Collins) gets it. Email me on [email protected] if you're interested. Dom.
dommy_g

Postby crog » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:16 pm

Thinking about trying the 100 klm ride, is there a time limit on these rides?

Just a question re 100 klm ride, does having stops still count as a 100 klm ride? I would like to clock up my first 100 klm ride, but not sure where breaks would fit into that to count it as a genuine 100 klm

I am doing the 100km as is Matt Blak another forum member and a coupl fo other John Holland guys. Welcome to join us if you like we are aiming to finish in 4 ~ 5 hour time frame. If you like to join us PM me and we wilkl arrange a meet. Goes for others doing the 100k ride
crog

Postby cpical » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:03 am

Doing the 100. Registered for the 100 that is. Chose the 100 because of work. I am not taking the bus down, I will be cycling, and will most certainly not reach Sorento before 8. I will turn back when I catch up with the work team.
cpical

Postby Nix » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:27 am

casual_cyclist wrote:Would it be bad if I gatecrashed?

I guess not - they can't stop you from riding Beach Rd - I think the free jersey thing has finished but that was how I justified the cost, plus it goes to a good cause..
Nix

Next

Return to Victoria