Dumb Vic Roads bicycle lane design

Dumb Vic Roads bicycle lane design

Postby vfrkenny » Mon May 03, 2010 1:44 pm

What is it with Victorian road design? Who is really responsible for the really dumb implementation of bicycle lanes on new roads? For example, the new Western Port Highway duplication has these really nice smooth and wide bicycle lanes that fade out to nothing at roundabouts. At the very worst possible moment, the moment that drivers are forced to divert their attention to turning and merging traffic we are forced to take our chances on the same piece of tarmac with them because the cycle lane just ceases to exist and there is no footpath to take to, this road is only months old. This is not the only place that I've seen this on new roadways. Thankfully I may soon be moving to Cairns where there are cycle lanes everywhere, even at roundabouts.
vfrkenny

by BNA » Mon May 03, 2010 9:19 pm

BNA

Re: Dumb Vic Roads bicycle lane design

Postby scoulr05 » Mon May 03, 2010 9:19 pm

i got one of those roads to. not fun trying to slot between cars to get through the round about. not sure where they are going with these bike lane plans but its not working for anyone.
scoulr05

Postby kibnedyo » Mon May 03, 2010 10:14 pm

The end of bike lanes are just plain annoying and frankly I believe deliberately designed to deter cyclists.

Around Ballarat the favourite trick by the council is for approaches to roundabouts to build a solid right angled gutter "pedestrian island just before the roundabout and paint the solid white lined cycle lanes right into the hard angled gutter. It can only be deliberate as this occurs repeatedly around Ballarat. It gives no access to roundabouts to cyclists via the road or footpath. I have had cars run me off the road or overtake me in the roundabout to loud horn blasts or shouts that cyclists should be giving way to cars because the roundabout has no cycle access.

I have written to the council about what I consider negligent design, but no response fron them. At least I have it in writing my intention to sue to full extent should an accident occur near one of these hazards.

Perhaps we should have a name and shame file. I'll get a pic to illustrate this dumbass practice.
kibnedyo

Postby Mulger bill » Mon May 03, 2010 11:37 pm

Those roundabout approaches are as common as Kyle :roll: I leave the bike lane early and take me place among the smokeboxes, might pi55 'em off but I care not.

Local council around here has a habit of attaching a small sign underneath the bikelane signs "parking permitted" or the classic on rds like Mitchells lane where they've put in speed bumps to slow down the hoon element.
To stop the hoons bypassing the bumps by using the bikelane they put in these concrete lumps with a tiny arrowhead sign, reduce the bikelanes to handlebar width+15cm.

Most bikelanes next to on road parking just delineate the door zones anyway.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue May 04, 2010 8:04 am

Exactly the same problems as posted above in the Casey Shire!!

Where the hell is Bicycle Victoria when you really need them to sort these problems out, or to stop this type of road construction happening in the first place? :x

Tom
greyhoundtom

Postby Mulger bill » Tue May 04, 2010 11:29 am

greyhoundtom wrote:Where the hell is Bicycle Victoria when you really need them to sort these problems out, or to stop this type of road construction happening in the first place? :x

Tom

Organising large scale social rides and cornering the market in lycra bow ties.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby h3ndry » Tue May 04, 2010 6:35 pm

Yawn.

Take your lane. It's not hard.
Do or do not. There is no try
h3ndry

Postby kibnedyo » Wed May 05, 2010 10:36 am

Taking the lane doesn't work with some louts in Ballarat. I do that and still have drivers simply crashing over the center of the roundabout to overtake me on the bike, with horn and abuse about bikes accompanying the damage to their suspension. As I said...... Louts and idiots.

Mind you I also feel that bike lanes simply encourage some drivers to pass closer than they would if the lane is not there too. Several near misses seems to indicate this. On out of city roads cars pass with much wider room and comfort.

Sometimes bike lanes are a mixed blessing.
kibnedyo

Postby il padrone » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:25 pm

Take the lane early on. Make yourself appear BIG and hold to your road space. Entering the roundabout all you have to worry about is any vehicles already on it, and while riding through, other vehicles entering must give way to you. It's pretty easy really - confidence is the key. Act like you know what you are doing and are proceeding ie. keep pedalling, don't coast. Pedalling = claiming your right of way, to a driver.

Roundabouts with bike lanes are dangerous. Do not use the lane. You are legally required to give way to all drivers, even those approaching from behind you :roll: . If I come across any like this (there is one near home) I get out of the bike lane. Legally I am entitled to. They are a trap, a friend of mine was caught out like this and hit by a car - he had no claim on the driver.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:05 pm

il padrone wrote:Roundabouts with bike lanes are dangerous. Do not use the lane. You are legally required to give way to all drivers, even those approaching from behind you :roll: . If I come across any like this (there is one near home) I get out of the bike lane. Legally I am entitled to. They are a trap, a friend of mine was caught out like this and hit by a car - he had no claim on the driver.

Is that so? Scary thought to the power of 50. I'm glad I don't see to many of them and ignore them when I do.

Thanks for the heads up.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby il padrone » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:47 pm

Yep. Rule 119. Was altered a few years back, when the National Road Rules were adopted.

119 Giving way by the rider of a bicycle or animal to a vehicle leaving a roundabout.

The rider of a bicycle or animal who is riding in the far left marked lane of a roundabout with 2 or more marked lanes, or the far left line of traffic in a roundabout with room for 2 or more lines of traffic (other than motor bikes, bicycles or animals), must give way to any vehicle leaving the roundabout.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:56 pm

Ahh, thanks Pete. Knew about that from a hook turn perspective at roundabouts, wasn't aware it meant specific in roundabout bikelanes too.
I can see it being used against the intent in more than one place.

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby spudley » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:46 pm

seems none of the round-a-bouts i encounter don't have a bike lane so i just 'claim the lane' before the round-a-bout.

not like cars should be going faster than about 15kph thru a round-a-bout anyway!

my 2cents anyway....

spudley
spudley

Postby KenGS » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:00 pm

spudley wrote:not like cars should be going faster than about 15kph thru a round-a-bout anyway!

ever been on the Greensborough bypass/Diamond creek rd roundabout? No way I'd ever try that on a bike.
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!
KenGS

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:22 am

il padrone wrote:Yep. Rule 119. Was altered a few years back, when the National Road Rules were adopted.

119 Giving way by the rider of a bicycle or animal to a vehicle leaving a roundabout.

The rider of a bicycle or animal who is riding in the far left marked lane of a roundabout with 2 or more marked lanes, or the far left line of traffic in a roundabout with room for 2 or more lines of traffic (other than motor bikes, bicycles or animals), must give way to any vehicle leaving the roundabout.

From my reading of that Rule it simply means that WHEN MAKING A RIGHT HAND TURN at a roundabout with two or more lanes entering and leaving the roundabout, YOU NEED TO CLAIM THE RIGHT HAND LANE if you don’t wish to get wiped out by a vehicle driver continuing through the roundabout using the right hand lane.

Tom
greyhoundtom

Postby il padrone » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:18 am

greyhoundtom wrote:From my reading of that Rule it simply means that WHEN MAKING A RIGHT HAND TURN at a roundabout with two or more lanes entering and leaving the roundabout, YOU NEED TO CLAIM THE RIGHT HAND LANE if you don’t wish to get wiped out by a vehicle driver continuing through the roundabout using the right hand lane.

That is correct. So if there's a bike lane and you wish to turn right using it you have to give way to all cars approaching from behind and exitting before your exit. The bike lane has no safety value to you, unlike what many riders may believe.

If you value your safety, do not use bike lanes through a roundabout. Claim your own road space, taking the right lane for a right turn.
il padrone

Return to Victoria