Riding in/around Melbourne

andrew77077

Riding in/around Melbourne

Postby andrew77077 » Wed May 12, 2010 9:58 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm going to be moving to Melbourne in about a month's time and was hoping to get some info about mountain biking...or to get to the point..is there any good riding around Melbourne? I'm usually ride singletrack/all mountain/backwoods style trails, is there anything in the Dandenongs (which immediately sprung to mind)? Any info would really be appreciated, I'm used to riding a couple of times a week with night rides thrown in over the winter. I went out to Mt Buller last year when I was over but for week nights or a last minute blast I don't want to have to travel for 3 hrs..!

Are there any local scenes for trail riding or bike shops that have a good rep?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew.

birdbrain

Re: Riding in/around Melbourne

Postby birdbrain » Thu May 13, 2010 2:13 pm

Andrew

You should get some excellent advice by checking out the Bicycle Victoria forum:

http://www.bv.com.au/forums/index.php

There are heaps of trails/tracks for MTB and Road Bikes not too far from the CBD including Dandenong, Diamond Creek, Kinglake, Macedon Ranges etc.......

cheers
Greg

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu May 13, 2010 2:15 pm

Also check out the Mtbing forums rotorburn

gcouyant

Postby gcouyant » Thu May 13, 2010 2:48 pm

andrew77077 wrote:Hi Guys,

I'm going to be moving to Melbourne in about a month's time and was hoping to get some info about mountain biking...or to get to the point..is there any good riding around Melbourne? I'm usually ride singletrack/all mountain/backwoods style trails, is there anything in the Dandenongs (which immediately sprung to mind)? Any info would really be appreciated, I'm used to riding a couple of times a week with night rides thrown in over the winter. I went out to Mt Buller last year when I was over but for week nights or a last minute blast I don't want to have to travel for 3 hrs..!
Andrew there is so much sensational MTB terrain in and around Melbourne that we Melbournians often take for granted. Which suburb will you be residing in? I can give you an idea of the nearest tracks.

Within an hour of Melbourne there is an abundance of epic riding. Multi day stuff as well if you're into that sort of thing. If you have a 4x4 then I can point you to even more trails that will have you kicking yourself that you didn't arrive earlier.

Some bike shops have regular MTB rides but mainly around the Yarra trails area. There's some 50km of single track in and around the area so you won't want for more on week day rides.

Feel free to give me a PM when you arrive.
George from iSi Advanced Bicycle Carrier Systems

andrew77077

Postby andrew77077 » Thu May 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Thanks for the info!

I'm not sure where I'll be living but my Sister is in Prahran (High St and Chapel) which is where I'll be for the first month or so while I'm job hunting....fingers crossed..! I've got to build up a new MTB as well so need to source some parts...or might be posting over a frame if I can. I could potentially live anywhere that's commutable to the CBD by bike which is what I intend to do, I guess a tram or bus would be good in the winter though if the weather's bad...depends if I have to get suited up for work or not, we'll see! I'll most likely look to rent somewhere, could end up sharing..I really don't know until I get out there but a big shed or a garage would definitely be a plus...enough room to tinker/fix/build/break.

Can't wait to get out and get riding!

Cheers!

Andrew.

gcouyant

Postby gcouyant » Thu May 13, 2010 7:18 pm

andrew77077 wrote:I'm not sure where I'll be living but my Sister is in Prahran (High St and Chapel)
Be very cautious if you meet anyone called Missy24 :wink:

See http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 14&t=26581 for the ugly side of some of us Melbournians.
George from iSi Advanced Bicycle Carrier Systems

sharktamin

Postby sharktamin » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:35 am

I can recomend the Silvan/Mt Dandenong forests for heaps of MTB trail, both allenging.
A weekly group ride runs most Thursday nights beginning arond 5:30pm. Lights are are must in the winter (but I think can be hired). It begins at the COG Bike Cafe (a bike shop), which is listed in the BNA directory. Best to phone first and check wos's riding. Note: these guys are serious, beginners may embarrass themselves. Some of them even ride the mountain single-speed!

brendan

Postby brendan » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:53 am

yarra trails.

crog

Postby crog » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:41 pm

Lysterfield Lake Park 40 min sth east Melbourn on monash freeway getting of at Fountain gate (Ernste Wanke Drive) I think and turn left

Had Commonwealth games race there and is also home of State Mountain bike track whatever that means

http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/resources05/05_1413.pdf has the stae

Pleanty of U-Tube vids of it and also at foot of Dandenongs which others had mentioned here is one of no particular import

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvEIqguv ... re=related

I live about 15 minutes there and once I can aford a MTB will also be giving it a go

the rat

Postby the rat » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:08 pm

If you're living closer to the inner city, the best spot would be the yarra trails as mentioned.
One of my favourite places is called the You Yangs, a state park halfway between Geelong and Melbourne (~45mins from cbd in off peak traffic).

It would be a good idea to join one of the mountain bike clubs based around melbourne. Theyre a good place to meet up and have a casual race, and a great way to be exposed to new tracks. There are a few 6 hour races on over winter which are a fun, laid back way to get into racing.

Speaking of Lysterfield, when you head out there, pop into the Trailmix bike shop based there. You can grab a coffee and get directions to the trails, great set up!
http://www.trailmix.com.au/

If you do an australian google search of these places you will be able to get directions. Lysterfields trails are easiest to find for anyone who hasnt explored the area. So start there and go from there.

the rat

Postby the rat » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:36 pm

The clubs I was referring to include:

DirtRiders
http://www.dirtridersmtb.com/

Geelong Mountain Bike Club
http://www.gmbc.com.au/

Fat Tyre Flyers
www.ftf.com.au

There are others, but these are the major ones based near Melbourne.

spudley

Postby spudley » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:55 pm

+1 for you yangs. I regularly traveled from Croydon (35km east of melb cbd) to get to the youies just because they are all legit trails built specifically for bikes, wooden ramps, tasty berms, boardwalks... mmmm.... i wish i still had my DH bikes :(

anyways, theres a massive variety of trails out there, ranging from long XC courses to full blown 'double black diamond' dh runs.

Personally, my favorite was trail No. 7, Trav's Diamond - which is a 'aggressive XC' (read: Soft DH) pass. Around 10mins from top to bottom from memory.

Enjoy!
Spudley.