Great Victorian Bike Ride

Great Victorian Bike Ride

Postby Johnn » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:29 am

I am thinking of riding the The Great Victorian Bike ride this year. Has anyone completed it previously - any comments/advice.

I am a very average rider - 2 rides a week total 100km. Any advice on a training regime/plan between now and November when the ride is??

Thanks
Johnn

by BNA » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:05 am

BNA

Re: Great Victorian Bike Ride

Postby John Wise » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:05 am

I have ridden many Great Vics. and like a lot of things in life commit to it and you will be fine. there is heaps of info on the BV website for the ride - http://www.greatvic.com.au . If you delve a little bit you will get to some training rides info like http://www.bv.com.au/great-rides/91498/ you can even join a ride with BV people. Last year the oldest guy was 86, there were all shapes and sizes. Actually for most people it's the fun and social side not the cycling that attracts them to the ride - me included. See you on the ride. John
John Wise

Postby human909 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:07 pm

Johnn wrote:I am thinking of riding the The Great Victorian Bike ride this year. Has anyone completed it previously - any comments/advice.

I am a very average rider - 2 rides a week total 100km. Any advice on a training regime/plan between now and November when the ride is??

Thanks

Wow! 2 rides a week and a total of 100km! I would say thats enough. I certainly know it would be for me! (I did ATB on far less training and I do multiday hikes on almost nil.)

GVB is low intensity so it really shouldn't be a problem, just eat alot before and during the ride!
human909

Postby damhooligan » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:44 pm

if you already do 100km a week, you wil be fine.
i have met people who only ride the bike during the gvbr, no training at all.
the food is great , and you have plenty of time to do the ride.
you wil be fine. 8)

and for more info check out the bv forum, lots of info on the gvbr.
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!
damhooligan

Postby GrumpySmurf » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:30 pm

Would that then mean it will be boring for someone who rides 200km per week at avg 29kph? What happens at the destination if you arrive in 2-3 hours when everyone else is expected in 4-5 hours?
GrumpySmurf

Postby damhooligan » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:07 pm

GrumpySmurf wrote:Would that then mean it will be boring for someone who rides 200km per week at avg 29kph? What happens at the destination if you arrive in 2-3 hours when everyone else is expected in 4-5 hours?

boring? at the pub?? :shock:

(or if you don't drink, just ride another loop around town...)
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!
damhooligan

Postby Endo » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:17 pm

Has anyone completed it on a single-speed roadie before? I've done the 100km leg of ATB (think, the Mt Martha climb), but according to the riding profile, between Dookie and Euroa, and Yea and Eildon, they look like killers!
Endo

Postby Mal01 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:35 pm

Endo wrote:Has anyone completed it on a single-speed roadie before? I've done the 100km leg of ATB (think, the Mt Martha climb), but according to the riding profile, between Dookie and Euroa, and Yea and Eildon, they look like killers!

Not personally, but there were quite a few last year (which included Lavers Hill), including one guy I saw SS towing a kid's trailer. He did, however, mention that at times that was a tad tough. :!:
Mal01

Postby Westgarth » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:01 pm

One of my acquaintances today found a flier for the GVBR and was thinking of going because it 'only' cost $800 for 8 days of riding - he was convinced it included accomodation and food (although the flier just mentioned having a campsite provided, presumably you have to bring your own tent and rations). Looking at their website I see that you can buy a tent from them for a mere $205, food is provided. We were having these discussions because he is constantly going on 'charity' runs/swims/rides and then gets all wide-eyed and amazed when he realises the charity is the organisers who pocket most (if not all) of the fees generated as management fees. Now I have zero direct experience of the GVBR so I was expecting something similar. I had a look through the flier to see where the money went, and found the following odd statement

http://www.bv.com.au/file/1624%20brochure_swoosh%202(1 ).pdf

All proceeds of the RACV Great Victorian Bike Ride 2010 go toward getting “More People Cycling More Often"

Now call me suspicious but this is either very odd grammar, or someone has set up some organisation called 'More People Cycling More Often' and they get the money from the GVBR.
Westgarth

Postby damhooligan » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:34 pm

Westgarth wrote:One of my acquaintances today found a flier for the GVBR and was thinking of going because it 'only' cost $800 for 8 days of riding - he was convinced it included accomodation and food (although the flier just mentioned having a campsite provided, presumably you have to bring your own tent and rations). Looking at their website I see that you can buy a tent from them for a mere $205, food is provided. We were having these discussions because he is constantly going on 'charity' runs/swims/rides and then gets all wide-eyed and amazed when he realises the charity is the organisers who pocket most (if not all) of the fees generated as management fees. Now I have zero direct experience of the GVBR so I was expecting something similar. I had a look through the flier to see where the money went, and found the following odd statement

http://www.bv.com.au/file/1624%20brochure_swoosh%202(1 ).pdf

All proceeds of the RACV Great Victorian Bike Ride 2010 go toward getting “More People Cycling More Often"

Now call me suspicious but this is either very odd grammar, or someone has set up some organisation called 'More People Cycling More Often' and they get the money from the GVBR.

The slogan refers to BV. who bv is is explained on the pirst page of the same brochure
Bicycle Victoria is a self-funded,
not-for-profit community
organisation. Our purpose is
simple: More People Cycling More
Often. We believe that riding a bike
– whether on our Great Rides, with
the kids, commuting or for fitness
– will make you happier and healthier.

if you do the event and wish to raise money you can do this via fundraising ; https://www.everydayhero.com.au/event/great_vic10
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!
damhooligan

Postby Westgarth » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:08 pm

Could I suggest then that in future it read something like

"All proceeds of the GBVR are used by Bicycle Victoria, a not-for-profit volunteer run organisation, to encourage and promote cycling by all Victorians."
Westgarth

Postby Parker » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:07 pm

Westgarth wrote:Could I suggest then that in future it read something like

"All proceeds of the GBVR are used by Bicycle Victoria, a not-for-profit volunteer run organisation, to encourage and promote cycling by all Victorians."

Perhaps you should suggest it to Bicycle Victoria...
Parker

Return to Victoria