Riding in Melb - Adelaide expats

Dazzman

Riding in Melb - Adelaide expats

Postby Dazzman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

This is a question directed particularly at Adelaide expats. I am considering an employment opportunity in Melb & was wondering how the road riding over there compares with Adelaide. I especially like riding in the hills, so is there anything similar near the city? (I would be based on Eastern side)
2011 S-Works Tarmac
2013 Specialized Carve Pro 29er
1996 Giant ATX 890 MTB

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Riding in Melb - Adelaide expats

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:55 pm

You'll love it Dazz. Good riding in most places and some good hills not far away.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:55 pm

now now

no opinions from Victorians only expats from SA... there aren't any, sorry we sent them all back

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:29 am

Dazzman

Having lived in both cities the things you will notice about Melbourne relative to Adelaide are:
1. It takes a lot longer to ride to the start of the hills (for example, I can get to the bottom of Norton Summit, GreenHill Rd, the Old Freeway, Belair Rd and the Southern Expressway Veloway climbs within 15-30 min. If you live in the eastern Suburbs of Melbourne you might have to ride up to an hour to get to the start of the Kinglake climbs, or the Dandenongs or the Red Hill area on the Pensinsula).

2. You don't have anywhere near the variety of rides in non-urban areas (again, there must be >20 loop rides in the Adelaide hills which almost never overlap with each other and have 50-100km options, whereas in Melbourne you have a few options around Kinglake and Healesville, quite a few variations on the Dandenongs and maybe 2-3 climbs down around Red Hill/Arthurs seat). Having said that there are some decent groups that ride the suburbs on roads or at times where you dont have to fight with traffic.

What Adelaide doesnt have though is Beach Rd. If you want to go riding any day of the week and have a decent chance of finding a bunch riding at your pace then Beach Rd is about the only place in the world I know of where its possible. I used to train up and down there all the time mostly cos it was close to home, but also because I could get in fast bunches and really do a hard ride even though its mostly flat. Melbourne also has Yarra Boulevard which is right next to the city, in the bush, quite hilly and always chockers with riders. I know a few fellas that used to just ride up and down Yarra Blvd endlessly cos they couldn't be bothered riding out to the Dandenongs.

Anyway, if you like hills riding, look up Warrandyte-St Andrews-Kinglake-Toolangi-Healesville-Yarra Glen (a great ride), the Dandenongs (theres a climb called the 1:20 which is very similar in distance and gradient to Norton Summit) and Red hill/Arthurs Seat on Google maps.
Schwinn Madison single speed
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser
Avanti MTB converted to single speed

Dazzman

Postby Dazzman » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:29 pm

thanks for the input guys. I certainly enjoy being able to hit the hills within 15min riding time from home at the moment. Then again, it seems that everyone from Vic is always going on about Beach Rd - will have to check it out sometime
2011 S-Works Tarmac
2013 Specialized Carve Pro 29er
1996 Giant ATX 890 MTB

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:36 pm

Melbourne has Melbourne Bicycle Touring Club, with 2-3 rides most weekends :wink: . Check our ride calendar.

And using V-line to take your bikes out to the country there's a stack of riding options on great rural roads. Loops, hill climbs, wineries, you name it. Then there's the whole Great Ocean Road to explore too.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."