Commute from Parkdale to City

Commute from Parkdale to City

Postby reykavik » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:41 am

Hi Guys,

New here.

About to start commuting to the City from Parkdale and I'm wondering if anyone has any alternate routes to the obvious Nepean Hwy run...

Beach road could be decent enough as one option but just wondering if there are any more I don't know about...

Would love a bike path that ran along side the Frankston train line ultimately but I know that doesn't exist...

Cheers in advance!
11 DEFY 1 - Ride on!
08 CRX4 - Handed down
reykavik

by BNA » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:48 pm

BNA

Re: Commute from Parkdale to City

Postby malnar » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:48 pm

Hi reykavic & welcome. I can't speak from personal experience but from what I've read Beach Rd is much preferred to Nepean Hwy for commuters. As for other options, sorry can't help.
malnar

Postby kibnedyo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:43 pm

Strangely enough my brother in law prefers the Nepean Hwy to Beach Road as a commute.

He does commute from Sth Melb to Moorabbin. His reasoning in thes section of nepean hwy is that there is no area for parked cars on the side of the road as they are limited to the side roads. He only has to contend with general traffic and has opinions that hwy drivers are a little less hostile towards bike riders.

He doesn't mind the stop/start of the traffic lights.

I could suggest a few routes from Elsternwick into town, but up to that point, there are very few arterial alternatives without adding many klm's onto your commute.
kibnedyo

Postby Wanta-bike » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:41 pm

hey mate, hopefully will be able to help....

i regulary commute from beaumaris to the city. usual way i go is as follows:

- beach road until brighton beach sea baths
- bike/footpath along the foreshore
- turn right at kerford rd
- turn left at clarendon st
- hey presto! in the city!

i find that traffic is usually pretty good up until around the bighton sea baths area. traffic tends to bank up just round the bend from the sea baths; plus there's not too much room for two lanes of cars either way as well as riders. usually it takes me about 45-60 minutes, depending on traffic, head/tail wind, which bike i ride, how legs are feeling....

as kibnedyo mentioned the nepean hwy ain't all that bad.... except for the traffic lights! on a plus, the nepean hwy route into the city does have dedicated bike lanes; however its often other cyclists also commuting along st kilda that you need to be weary of!

hopefully you've found this helpful, any questions, pm or email! good luck!

OH! and a DECENT set of lights help too! :wink:
Wanta-bike

Postby reykavik » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:26 pm

Thanks guys.

Get the bike in two weeks so will just have to start experimenting but will definitely try the beach rd approach. Was thinking maybe up Hampton St too...or Bay Rd through Brighton as an alternative to Beach Rd after the Baths. Nepean might be a bit of a gauntlet but I'll just have to find out how I fair!

Cheers again.

Stu
11 DEFY 1 - Ride on!
08 CRX4 - Handed down
reykavik

Postby Steve250 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:13 pm

I took the Nepean Hwy home to Cheltenham from Prahran after picking my new bike up today, but the bike path seemed to disappear after South Rd, is this the case? or does it go to somewhere that I somehow missed? Also I didn't notice the bike path until North Rd, so it does continue when heading for the city, right? Will definitely have to try the Beach Rd approach soon, I didn't mind the stops as it has been a while since I had ridden a pushbike that far, so the short rests were much appreciated!
Steve250

Return to Victoria