Grampians and Otways

Grampians and Otways

Postby alex » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:32 pm

so i am planning a couple of days of riding as we make our way from adelaide to geelong for the worlds

hope to spend a day riding the grampians and another day in the otways, staying overnight at each place

i have been to apollo bay before and that seems like a good base to ride the otways, but re the grampians which is the best town to stay in (for cycling)? halls gap?

just dont want to end up staying somewhere that is an hours drive to the good riding!

cheers
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.
alex

by BNA » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:28 pm

BNA

Re: Grampians and Otways

Postby jules21 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:28 pm

halls gap is right in the middle of the action.
jules21

Postby il padrone » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:45 pm

Road or MTB riding ?

All of the Wonderland area near Halls Gap is off limits for MTB trails (way too rough unless you do trials anyway). If you do want MTB then Zumsteins area is another option, but not a town (camp at McKenzies Falls or cabins further out at Wartook). Be wary that some backtracks that are great for MTB are seasonally closed to vehicles during winter - until Oct 31st. This may or may not be a problem on a bike, depending on who you meet :wink: .

Halls Gap is good for road riding, you can loop out to Stawell or around Lake Fyans to Pomonal and back to Halls Gap, also over Mt Voictory 10 km climb to Zumsteins and back past Lake Wartook.

Overall, really Halls Gap is the only place to stay. Roses Gap (caravn park resort) is another option if you want the bush experience, but only good for MTB.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby alex » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:16 pm

road riding only, thx for the info thus far. figured halls gap would be the go. been through there before and it looks like its the goods. how about down south at the otway national park type area... am i right that staying at apollo bay is going to be the best place to stay?
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.
alex

Postby il padrone » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:07 am

Yes, Apollo Bay is very good. The YHA there is one street back from the beach, very new, well-appointed, and not too expensive. The real Eco Beach!

There is now a 105km all-sealed road loop up into the Otways via Lavers Hll, Beech Forest and Turtons Track - wonderful ride.

Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Uncle Just » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:30 am

Halls Gap YHA is another relatively newish place to consider staying at with its 5 star enviro rating. I like the ride down through the Grampians to Dunkeld (130 kms return ), little traffic, rolling terrain and spectacular views. If you have the energy you can always attempt Mt William. +1 for the Apollo Bay YHA.
Uncle Just

Postby alex » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:23 am

thanks guys have booked into the yha at apollo bay and will prob stay at the caravan pk at halls gap

the ride above looks so good, will def be doing this one

any suggestions for a loop at halls gap? prob only have time for 50-70k... couldnt see anything really obvious on bikely
alex

Postby il padrone » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:37 pm

The most scenic route to do would be to ride out of Halls Gap on the Mt Victory Rd. There are great views of the Wonderland Range and its rock features. Go on to Reids Lookout and stop to take in the impressive view of the Victoria Valley (a short sharp 1 km climb on a side road), then continue to McKenzies Falls (turn off to the right then 2 kms and turn left to Cranages). The walk to the falls is short and very worthwhile. Return over Mt Victory towards Halls Gap, but turn right onto Sundial Rd. This is a one way road I believe - you will have a great descent down to the main Grampians Rd at Borough Huts. Turn left back to Halls Gap. This would be ~45-50 kms.

Another ride is to ride south from Halls Gap and climb to Mt William, then return. A very big climb with good views again, but I haven't done the ride. About 15-20 kms fairly flat, then 8-10 kms steep climb - so about 50 kms all up.

If you want a flat ride you could ride out the road to Ararat, turn left at Pomonal then ride to Stawell, and back to Halls Gap on the Grampians Rd. About 60 kms.
il padrone

Postby alex » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:16 pm

based on the map above i think we will end up staying at apollo bay for 2 nights... think this might be a better idea - didnt realise it is a 4hr drive from halls gap to apollo bay!
alex

Postby toppity » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:54 pm

il padrone wrote:The most scenic route to do would be to ride out of Halls Gap on the Mt Victory Rd. There are great views of the Wonderland Range and its rock features. Go on to Reids Lookout and stop to take in the impressive view of the Victoria Valley (a short sharp 1 km climb on a side road), then continue to McKenzies Falls (turn off to the right then 2 kms and turn left to Cranages). The walk to the falls is short and very worthwhile. Return over Mt Victory towards Halls Gap, but turn right onto Sundial Rd. This is a one way road I believe - you will have a great descent down to the main Grampians Rd at Borough Huts. Turn left back to Halls Gap. This would be ~45-50 kms.

Another ride is to ride south from Halls Gap and climb to Mt William, then return. A very big climb with good views again, but I haven't done the ride. About 15-20 kms fairly flat, then 8-10 kms steep climb - so about 50 kms all up.

If you want a flat ride you could ride out the road to Ararat, turn left at Pomonal then ride to Stawell, and back to Halls Gap on the Grampians Rd. About 60 kms.

I used to go to the grampians years ago and always take the mountain bike. I used to put slicks on for the road stuff to have a little fun. I've done most of the rides you mentioned including Mt William (not to hard with the mountain bike gearing). However I only went as far as the car park. I'd be interested to know if anyone has ridden the last couple of km's from the car park to the top (i'm not sure if you are supoosed to go on that road on a bike, it's not open to cars). The last bit is much stepper than the ride to the carpark....
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.
toppity

Postby whad » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:58 am

[quote="toppity"}
I used to go to the grampians years ago and always take the mountain bike. I used to put slicks on for the road stuff to have a little fun. I've done most of the rides you mentioned including Mt William (not to hard with the mountain bike gearing). However I only went as far as the car park. I'd be interested to know if anyone has ridden the last couple of km's from the car park to the top (i'm not sure if you are supoosed to go on that road on a bike, it's not open to cars). The last bit is much stepper than the ride to the carpark....[/quote]

I have rode the last 2km up Mt William. it is seriously steep. I just tacked up the road at 7km/hr. It is worse coming down. Have to control speed especially as you approach car park. Not much fun going down a 15% gradient as a gate blocks your path :shock:
whad

Postby alex » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:17 pm

Did the 105k loop out of Apollo bay today. Absolutely incredible up across the top. The last 20k or so was absolute torture and one of the hardest rides I have done. Thanks for posting the info. Going to sleep, shattered.
alex

Postby il padrone » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:49 pm

Did you do it clockwise or ati-clockwise ?

I did this ride myself on last Saturday with a few friends (an organised MBTC club ride). We started and finished at Forrest and rode it clockwise, so got the major hills (to Maits Rest and Laver Hill) over with by 2.30pm. The total distance was 140kms and the ride along Turtons Track through the rainforest was wonderful (now a narrow, winding sealed road).

il padrone

Postby toppity » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:47 am

magnificent photo. Sounds like a great ride.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.
toppity

Postby damhooligan » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:15 am

il padrone wrote:

I have doen this ride last year, was so much fun.
Just looked at the website, and now they have gone up in price, also offering a free jersey....
For $132 you don't get lunch, if you want that you have to get the premium package (wich include "•Gold cycling ID sticker (so we know your special!)") and only $166.

Looks like i wil be better of doing it on my own... :D
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!
damhooligan

Postby alex » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:15 am

il padrone wrote:Did you do it clockwise or ati-clockwise ?

anti clockwise
alex

Postby il padrone » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:07 pm

Ah, that left you with the nasty steep climb from the Aire River bridge quite late in the ride. If you ever do it again I'd suggest doing it in the clockwise direction - the worst hills are over in the first half of the ride and you finish with the scenically wonderful Turtons Track, followed by the thrilling descent to Skene's Creek at the end.
il padrone

Postby alex » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:15 am

yes it was quite unexpected to find that climb at that point of the ride, i didnt recall seeing that on the profile!
alex

Postby rich_sydney » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:40 pm

Just wondering what the traffic is like on these roads. I'm hoping to be down there in the beginning of february and I'd be riding it on my own. I'm not a huge fan of traffic though, particularly when riding on my own.

Thanks for any info.
rich_sydney

Postby alex » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:11 am

rich_sydney wrote:Just wondering what the traffic is like on these roads. I'm hoping to be down there in the beginning of february and I'd be riding it on my own. I'm not a huge fan of traffic though, particularly when riding on my own.

Thanks for any info.

virtually no traffic at all
alex

Postby il padrone » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:41 pm

Well, on a weekend in February you're likely to strike a bit of tourist traffic - along the Great Ocean Road and especially around Apollo Bay and Skenes Creek. But this is rarely any major worry.

Do it on a week day and you'll be right.
il padrone

Return to Victoria