Moving to Melbourne and ATB

NigelW

Moving to Melbourne and ATB

Postby NigelW » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:48 pm

Hey there

I'm about to head over to Melbourne from Perth as a job relocation, and was wondering what to do about the ATB.....

Bit of a background on me as I'm sure I can do the 100k but not sure about the 210k.

Already signed up to do the Melbourne Half Marathon early Oct and been doing 80-90k hills rides here in Perth the last few weeks, after taking it easy since doing the Busselton HIM in May.

Longest ride I've done is a very hilly 120k as part of Busso training.

Sensible me says do the 100k but I don't know if the journey down to Sorrento will be a pain or not. So got wondering whether I could get through the 210 and not have to worry about the start!

Is the 210 a tough old ride or should I be safe and do the 100........???? I know, I know, my decision and all that, but was hoping for some insight from the Melburnians......!

Thanks
Nigel

sz0h0s

Re: Moving to Melbourne and ATB

Postby sz0h0s » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:33 pm

Hi Nigel,

The City to Queenscliff is flat as a pancake. From Sorrento to Frankson there are some hills, not really steep, but there are a few. From Frankston to the City is flat again. It not a difficult ride - just a long one.

sz0h0s

Postby sz0h0s » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:39 pm

Oh the by the way, I'm about to be relocated from Melbourne to Perth with my job :)

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:03 pm

"Is the 210 a tough old ride or should I be safe and do the 100........???? I know, I know, my decision and all that, but was hoping for some insight from the Melburnians......!"

Based on your riding/fitness history you should be able to do the 210 ride if you pace yourself and get in 3-4 longer rides up to 160km before the ride. I believe for ARTBIAD it's not so much the distance or terrain (essentially a flattish course) but the weather on the day that is the decider. Start conservatively, sit in a safe bunch that's not going too fast, eat and drink properly and before you know it the momentum of 1000s of others will get you through. But if you haven't done enough distance or are feeling below par and it's a stinking hot day with a northerly or a cold wet windy day, you will most likely struggle.

Only you can decide, but I think you can do the 210 if you ride within yourself. See how you pull up after the 1/2 marathon that should be a good guide when you get back on the bike. If still feeling NQR a week or so before the ARTB do the 100km.

NigelW

Postby NigelW » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:22 pm

Thanks guys.

Uncle Just, your comments make a lot of sense - I'll need to get the bike out of the container asap and see how I pull up.... I'll let you know.

Oh, and sz0h0s, enjoy Perth, I'll miss it, especially the nice summer weather :)

Nix

Postby Nix » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:55 am

Sounds like your in the same boat as me Nigel - my longest ride is ~120km so far but I have signed up for the 210km (Melb-Sorento-Queenscliff-Melbourne)...
I figure that if I can do 120km solo, I should be able to make it through the 210km - especially with so many riders participating, there will be lots of groups to share the load with... Uncle Just hit the nail on the head though, the weather will play a bit part (especially on the course I'm doing which can get bloody windy on the return leg)... only one way to find out :twisted:

pawnii

Postby pawnii » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:00 pm

Isn't the Melb Marathon and the ATB ride a week apart?

I was considering doing the 1/2 marathon but figured i wouldn't recover enough to do the ATB 210km the next weekend.
Would be pretty hardcore trying to train for both events
yes, I'm an overweight weight weenie
2012 Scott Foil Premium

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:01 pm

NigelW wrote:Longest ride I've done is a very hilly 120k as part of Busso training.
ATB is essentially a flat ride. A few small hills from Sorrento to Blairgowrie and a few more from Safety Beach to Frankston. Maybe 40kms of small hills out of a 210km ride. Winds, rain and the hazards of big bunch riding would be more of a concern. Physically you should have no worries.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

NigelW

Postby NigelW » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:31 pm

Stayed sane and entered the 100km ATB, but it is a week after the Melbourne half marathon :shock:
Training is going well, hopefully the legs will pull up OK after the run and let me cruise the ride. Hope it's not too much of a headwind!

neild

Postby neild » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:23 pm

Well, the way I look at it, it just comes down to a matter of how long you want to take. I'm doing the full marathon and then the 210km M-S-M ride. I figure if I'm fit enough to run a marathon, I'll definitely be fit enough to do the ride. I think a week between the 2 events it plenty of time to recover. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is the possibility either being wet and windy.

Good luck!
Norco VFR1 Disc, Merida 903, Mofo Single Speed, Giant MTB, soon to be vintage Gazelle fixie

rayson1101

Postby rayson1101 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:18 pm

That's a good idea. I'm also planning to move there. The boss of my wife assigned her to work there.

NigelW

Postby NigelW » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:32 pm

neild wrote:I'm doing the full marathon and then the 210km M-S-M ride.
Good luck with that - don't envy you...... glad I stayed sane!