Anyone riding to the Worlds on Sunday??

bunnybiker

Anyone riding to the Worlds on Sunday??

Postby bunnybiker » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:22 am

Thinking of riding down to Geelong (cos we can't take bikes on the train) - Is anyone else doing the same? Does anyone have a good route to get there? Can you go on the highway after Werribee?? Thinking might drive to Werribee and ride from there. ( At least get some Ks in for the day.

Dadrock

Re: Anyone riding to the Worlds on Sunday??

Postby Dadrock » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:54 am

I'll be riding down on Sunday from Northcote.

I ride into the city, then out to Footscray via Dynon Rd, then left to the start of the Federation Goat Track, I mean Trail. Take that to Werribee.

Then it's the freeway all the way into Geelong (from Duncan's Rd). I find the shoulder on the freeway is large enough, and usually clean enough to ride without any problems.

I've taken the backroads and bike tracks all the way down, and the extra distance and rough tracks made it (literally) a pain in the backside... :shock:

BTW I'm planning on leaving Nthcte at 8 to beat the peloton down to the circuit.

martin
"You make pigs smoke. You feed beef burgers to swans. You have big sheds, but nobody's allowed in..."

windlessdog

Postby windlessdog » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:34 pm

Im thinking of driving to werribee to avoid the annoying trip through the city and Altona and rideing from there down the highway or maybe the back roads past Lara and Little River this is quit good rideing but the roads have no shoulders Anyway have a great ride and I will see you there.

bunnybiker

Postby bunnybiker » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:08 pm

Thanks guys - the easier the ride the better-especially on the return, so maybe the big road. Thanks for the heads up about the Fed Trail

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:57 pm

windlessdog wrote:Im thinking of driving to werribee to avoid the annoying trip through the city and Altona and rideing from there down the highway or maybe the back roads past Lara and Little River this is quit good rideing but the roads have no shoulders Anyway have a great ride and I will see you there.
i would avoid going trough lara and little river because that's probably blocked off.
best way would be the freeway,
Thats where i wil be riding.
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

rednaxela

Postby rednaxela » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:14 pm

for those driving to werribee, there will be closures and detours on the princes h-way and also through hoppers crossing and werribee so i suggest allow extra time for these. apart from that, once you are riding on the princes h-way (service lane) it is all smooth towards geelong. the turnoff at bell pde towards the esplanade is closed off to vehicles but i think they will let bikes through. i saw a lot of cyclists riding on the course before the men's TT last thursday, geelong city is a virtual ghost town due to road closures apart from the cycling fans.

bunnybiker

Postby bunnybiker » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:15 am

Ended up riding the course from Werribee to Geelong. Very scenic and quiet. Only saw marshalls and some photographers setting up. The surface was bumpy but it was much nicer than the return trip on the highway with all the glass and stones on the bike lane.(not to mention traffic and headwind!!)

Dadrock

Postby Dadrock » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:05 am

I rode from Northcote - CBD - Dynon Rd - Fed Trail - Freeway - Geelong.

2:15 from my door to that hungry Jacks at the outskirts of Geelong.

A beautiful day for a spin! Would have been perfect except for the stack I had in Corio...If David, a vet racer on a blue and white Azzurri Uno reads this forum, let me know if you got a new helmet, and how your road rash is.

My new wheels now need truing...

Saw no other riders on the freeway though, which surprised me. The shoulder on the way down was pretty clean. I rode from Geelong to Ocean Grove and joined the family in the car for the trip back :? too sore to ride any more that day.
"You make pigs smoke. You feed beef burgers to swans. You have big sheds, but nobody's allowed in..."

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:36 am

we saw a few ridders on the freeway.
We where in a bunch of 8...

Had a nice tailwind from werribee to geelong.
we left werribee after the peleton went past, we had an average of 37km/h over 40k's
and enterd geelong before the peleton... :D

it was a good day. 8)

p.s. I love the cheering we got when we rode over the course... :)
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

windlessdog

Postby windlessdog » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:14 pm

Yep great day for a spin on the bike i ended up driving to werribee and doing the ride down to geelong via the worlds road course as well fantastic. I left werribee around 8.30 and got to geelong pretty quick as no wind and great temperature to push it a bit, so went round getting as many freebies as possible before the big boys got to town. WOW what a race and what a day, loved it the only bit i didnt like was punching into the wind back down the highway to werribee, bunched up with two girls (may have been you bunnybiker) :wink: and a super fit senior citizen (thanks for the work gang) now to get over the hang over of a great time and brilliant weekend, work is such a downer.
see you on the road.

fail

Postby fail » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:30 pm

seen a few riders on the way up and back, had a laugh with the mrs too, seen a guy on an old kmart mtb in trackies and tshit parachuting up around hoppers, then a group of 3 walking up from the raaf/army exit, thinking gee they are insane walking to Geelong, turns out 1-2km up they had parked the car!

left early from the circuit (around 3-4pm) with 2 laps to go, seeing a group of around 6 split (seemed like guys we saw at fed square?) then a couple more up battling the wind.