Great Ocean & Otway Classic 2011, March 26

Great Ocean & Otway Classic 2011, March 26

Postby stryker84 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:48 pm

http://www.supersprint.com.au/events/2x ... -2011.aspx

I'm tempted to sign up, but will need to get some serious training in, I've been off the bike for months, will probably struggle to do 30kms atm!

Anyone else thinking of doing it, and if so which Start Zone are you guys gonna enter for?
stryker84

by BNA » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:32 pm

BNA

Re: Great Ocean & Otway Classic 2011, March 26

Postby three214 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:32 pm

Talking with a few guys from work about doing the ride.
Probably only the 60km, but the price of $120 seems fairly steep.
three214

Postby mcraig2 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:25 pm

Sorry to bump an oldish thread, but I'm hoping someone can help me out. As I posted over on the BV website:

Did anyone else get messed around by the registration page being left open after the allocation had been filled? I was supposed to do this ride with a mate of mine. He booked in a week or so after me. Last Friday he got an email saying that there had been an error and the webpage accepted registration after the allocation was full. He would be unable to participate due to insurance reasons. He would however be refunded in full. So frustrating.

So now I'm pretty well stranded as he was also my lift there. Does anyone happen to be driving there tomorrow with a spare seat/space for another bike? I live in Carlton, just off the Eastern freeway, but am happy to jump on a train and get to wherever is convenient. I'm getting pretty desperate. I've tried to call in favours with people I know in Geelong, and have exhausted the public transport options. I'm anyone could help me out, I'd really appreciate it!
mcraig2

Postby ajmit3 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:09 pm

Just did it with my dad.... I did the 145km in 5 hours (Well with a cofee and food stop but I won't count that... ) He did the 60km in 2 hours.

I started at about 7:30 (with 3000 other riders) and came in about 1pm.

Day started off cold and a little windy, after 30 mins it started raining intermittenly, the pace was 'fast' from the get go - couple of groups were doing 40/45km/hr on the flat from the get go .

found it hard to get 'settled'.. because invariably in these huge groups, I would be behind slower riders, and then 1/2 of the group had gone off, and it was too hard to catch the breakway... However, the first couple of hours were pretty uninteresting, I was just in my own little zone. Stopped for lollies and a enengry bar and a pee- pretty hard with bib knicks ha ha

Deans Marsh came up, and I found I could climb way better than a lot of people.. Not sure how steep it was, but it didn't seem to go for very long ... A highlight were the 'devils' on the road .
The descent was fast - probably went a bit overboard - avg 55-60 km/hr down there... fun :twisted: Had a coffee in lorne ate some more, chatted to a few randoms..

The ride out from Lorne was stunning along the great ocean road -...It was fairly flat as well, so that was nice...

At about the 95km mark i was averaging about 33 - which is good for me ... But after then it got harder and harder, the last 10-20 km seemed to take forever... Got there in the end though... :mrgreen:

Saw a lot of stunning bikes - a lot of Pinarellos etc Lots of Carbon wheels...

Positives
The energy bars and lollies
The friendly staff

Negatives
The price i think it was 160 ... But meh.. Also we paid for accomodation in Geelong...
A lot of riders on the road...
ajmit3

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:53 pm

three214 wrote:Talking with a few guys from work about doing the ride.

ajmit3 wrote:Negatives
The price i think it was 160 ... But meh.. Also we paid for accomodation in Geelong...

Come along on the MAD Ride and do 60km or 120km.... or a 65km MTB ride. All for much less money :idea:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby jules21 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:02 pm

enjoyed the ride. have to say that i prefer the Alpine Classic for scenery and organisation. you get a jersey, so the price ($140-odd) is not unreasonable, but it's getting right up there. there are a lot of riders on the course - it's almost like ATB. thankfully the weather held off, mostly, with just some mild drizzle around Moriac. i would have preferred a harder course TBH - the "climb" was not much of anything. they should bring us up from the GOR at least once to make it worthwhile. this was my first time on the 140km course and it was easier than i expected.
jules21

Postby il padrone » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:21 pm

Jules, sounds like you really need the Rainforest Ride. Just missed it but it'll probably be on again next December. The full route including the ride out to Cape Otway lighthouse is 140kms with plenty of climbing - at least 1400m of climbing.

8) :wink:

Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby three214 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:30 pm

il padrone wrote:
three214 wrote:Talking with a few guys from work about doing the ride.

ajmit3 wrote:Negatives

Come along on the MAD Ride and do 60km or 120km.... or a 65km MTB ride. All for much less money :idea:

Didn't end up getting into the Great Ocean & Otway Classic 2011, all entries were gone... regarding the price, my main gripe was the 60km ride was $120, and 145km ride $140 (I think from memory)... but the 145km had the rode blocked, so I thought the price of the short ride could have been a bit less.

Seen plenty of bikes around Geelong yesterday, hope all those who journeyed down here had a good day...

il padrone... looked up the ride, sounds like it would be a good day, but same day as my sister's daughters naming day, so won't be able to make it... would be good to catch a few forumites & put a few faces to the names.
three214

Postby jules21 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:17 pm

il padrone wrote:Jules, sounds like you really need the Rainforest Ride. Just missed it but it'll probably be on again next December. The full route including the ride out to Cape Otway lighthouse is 140kms with plenty of climbing - at least 1400m of climbing.

i've been on holiday last few years for that, but might give it some thought this year. will also consider the MAD ride too!
jules21

Return to Victoria