MTB around Melbourne

AdamBech

MTB around Melbourne

Postby AdamBech » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:01 am

Hi!

I am travelling Australia and I'll come to Melbourne soon. I am a good mtbr and would like to cycle somewhere around Melbourne but I don't know where to go or where to rent a bike. I want to ride in the woods and mountains far from the beaten tracks. I have a car so I can go further away from the city if it's necessary but I don't feel like going too far, aprox. 100-150 km. Maybe someone wants to join??

Cheers!

toppity

Re: MTB around Melbourne

Postby toppity » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:29 pm

I don't do much MTB riding these days. But I used to ride the trails in and around the Dandenongs hills not too far from Melb CBD (50km's perhaps). Also, a bit further out there are plenty of more demanding trails. Around my area there are many trails around Mount Baw Baw and surrounds. That is approx' 100km from Melbourne CBD. If these are of interest to you Sean at Chilli Cycles in Warragul would be able to help out with specific info' I would think. www.chillicycles.com.au
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:28 pm

G'Day Adam.

Lysterfield park will get you to the Melbourne Commonwealth Games XC course.
The Dandenongs have great trails everywhere.
Melbournes own Yarra river has plenty of trails along and around it, not all of them legal however.
The You Yangs near Geelong have something for everyone.
Finally, the Wombat Forest near Woodend is great and getting better all the time.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

AdamBech

Postby AdamBech » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:03 am

Thank you!

Now I've borrowed a bike from my friends and listed all your tips on google maps so that I can easily go and mtb them.
I guess some trails you have to search for but I can always ask my way forward or are there usually some mountainbikers
out there?

If anyone wants to ride with me just give me a message so we can switch numbers.