Cycling Tours around Melbourne or even a short drive away

Christieland

Cycling Tours around Melbourne or even a short drive away

Postby Christieland » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:57 pm

Hi everyone,

I live in California and am traveling to Australia in early February. My friend and I would like to do a one or half day bicycle tour. What are the best tours/shops where we can rent bicycles, see some of your beautiful country, and work off some of the drinking we'll likely be doing?

I ride a lot, probably 100-150 miles a week on a Look 595, but my friend Nikki doesn't have a proper road bike (although is open to renting and riding one). It might be best to be on more comfortable touring bicycles, but I'd like to do a longer tour if possible.

We'll first be in Cairns for diving, then 10 and 11 Feb we're doing ride days at Phillip Island...we also like motor bikes. :) 12, 13 and 14 we need some fun things to do. Might go to Tasmania too.

Thanks everyone!

Christie

stryker84

Re: Cycling Tours around Melbourne or even a short drive awa

Postby stryker84 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:15 pm

Well, I'll give it a shot, but I haven't lived in Melbourne for about 3 years now, so someone else might have a better idea...

... but from memory, renting bikes in Melbourne wasn't very easy to do. They're not widely available/advertised, and from memory (can't remember where from, sorry) the bikes were mainly heavy MTB style bikes, at exorbitant rates. I may be wrong, or it may have changed in the interim though. Melbourne people, any ideas?

One company which has popped up recently, and since I've left Melbourne is The Humble Vintage, they've had a pretty good write-up in the press anyway. Rates seem pretty decent, but don't know what sort of range they have (their focus is refurbished bikes), or if they have bikes suitable for touring :?: . Might be worth shooting them an email.

As far as Ideas for where to tour... One thing to note is that bikes are carried free on any train service, both Metro and V/Line (country Victoria) trains, so you're not limited to riding out of Melbourne for day trips. Some areas that spring to mind are around Ballarat (which is a train ride away), and the Yarra Valley (perhaps the Warburton rail trail, starting at Lilydale in Melbourne's outer north-east). The BV website has some general tips too HERE, and a list of rail trails HERE.

The Melbourne Bicycle Touring Club also has some routes listed on their website. And I have a feeling there may be a member or several on this forum somewhere... if you're reading this, say hi! ;)

And if you're ever down the Great Ocean Road as far as Warrnambool, come say hi! =)

Christieland

Postby Christieland » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:56 am

Thanks for the reply! I'll check out those suggestions...if anyone else had advice, please let me know! Thanks!

fredinver

Postby fredinver » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:04 pm

If you are already at Phillip Island and like rail trails the Great Southern Rail Trail starts and Leongatha and there is a bike hire place at the end where for $10 a day you can rent a second hand bike suitable for the trail. The trail has a number of destination suitable for day rides in the Australian bush with a few eateries on the way. another rail trail at Wonthaggi but it is less than 20km long but some great views but no bike hire thatI am aware of. Happy to give more details if this style of riding suits you.
A bad days riding beats a good day working!
GT3 Trike
CA2.0

gazman

Postby gazman » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:38 pm

Bikeforce at Docklands hired out bikes when i was there in July. Perhaps google it to see if the practice continues.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:56 pm

There's this crew on Phillip Island for bike hire. I know nothing about them or their bikes.

From Cowes ('capital' of Phillip Is) there is a 20-25 km ride along the main road to San Remo, almost all on a seperated bike path or bike lane, then there is an 8 km ride (on the main road but with good sealed shoulder) from San Remo to Anderson where the Wonthaggi Rail Trail starts. It is about 25kms of gravel to Wonthaggi. After that ride south to Cape Paterson and along the coast to Inverloch (very scenic) and loop back to Wonthaggi to ride th Railtrail back to Phillip Island. All up it would be about 120 kms. You could stop and turn around at any point if you wanted a shorter distance. Here is the first part of the ride - Cowes to Wonthaggi (but this route doesn't use the railtrail).

If you like quieter and hillier riding, just east of Phillip Island and north of Kilcunda there is some marvellous riding to be had on mostly sealed roads along the Kilcunda Ridge. Great views, quiet dairy country roads and a few hidden delights (Archie's Creek pub, Kongwak Sunday market). Any distance loop you choose.

* Just back from 10 days beach holiday right down that way :mrgreen:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."