Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

theprofessor

Re: Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Postby theprofessor » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:37 pm

Alright lads

The weather is looking a bit iffy but according to the BOM it's raining from late morning onwards. I figure we should make sure we get on the first punt no matter what. BOM also says we'll have a N or NE wind which will be a direct headwind most of the way. That's going to add time to the journey. If it's anything like it was this morning we'll be doing 20kmph all the way to the punt. So lets make sure we're all there 7.30. I'll phone if I'm running late of course :-) Only kidding! I'll be on time. Hopefully we can make it out and back before the rain sets in. I suggest we do keep Footscray road as a backup. The cycle path isn't too bad and we can easily get down to st kilda via docklands and south melbourne - hence avoiding flinders street. I hate flinders street and cars hate us along there too so I recommend we avoid it like a plague.

Worst case scenario is if the weather comes in earlier that expected in which case I may pull out but here's hoping all will be ok. Ozzie, you seem to have taken on ringleader role by default so I'll text you if I'm not coming.

vman

Postby vman » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:04 pm

Gents,

Will join you up to the punt but will head back from there. I have a Christmas function on and need to be home by 11am.

Fingers crossed the weather is ok...........

Ozzie

Postby Ozzie » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:34 pm

Awesome ride today boys. Started with 11 ended up with 8 down to Mordiallac and back. Why is it every time we ride we seem to get the bl$$%$%y head wind in what ever direction we go. I learnt two things today
1. The nutty professor was right with his weather prediction just a little of song with his timing
2. Migz is a fan of the Victorian public transport system

See you all next week have a good week at work. Colin.

theprofessor

Postby theprofessor » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:21 pm

Ok, so timing was a bit off but in the end I think the BOM did fairly well with their prediction. Great ride on Saturday though. Was stuffed for the rest of the weekend. We need to get some more of these big rides in so we get a bit more used to it. In the end it was just me and Scotty. How did 11 turn into 2? Crazy but good fun. If we do go ahead with some more big rides we may have to think of a way to start earlier. Only problem with that though is that the punt only starts at 9am and so we'd have to go on Footscray road on the way out there in order to make it home any earlier. Alternatively, we could do another route. What do people think of doing a trip down to Lara like we discussed previously?

theprofessor

Postby theprofessor » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Btw Ozzie

Have a look at: http://www.bikes.com.au/p/514314/2011-m ... -2000.html

Dunno if they're going to have a 2012 version yet or not.

ecosse

Postby ecosse » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:33 pm

hi guys. I`m out of the country for a few weeks due to family bereavement so I`ll miss the Amy Gillett in Jan. Anyone want an entry? Hopefully can transfer it.
All the best for Christmas
Don

mattg

Postby mattg » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:02 pm

Don,
Sorry to hear the bad news. Take care and enjoy your xmas as much as you can. See you in the new year. We will do the Amy Gillet ride route one weekend when you get back.

Regards,
Matt

Ozzie

Postby Ozzie » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:27 pm

Don, sorry to hear the news take care. Catch you when you get back. Colin

theprofessor

Postby theprofessor » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:42 pm

Sorry to hear that Don. Take it easy and all the best. See you in the New year.

Ozzie

Postby Ozzie » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:34 pm

Hi boys Saturday is fast approaching but due to a busy weekend schedule Luke and I are just doing the usual Willie ride departing 8.00am Degani. Any interested in joining us ? Regards Colin.

mattg

Postby mattg » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:03 pm

Got my xmas party on Friday night, so depending how the night unfold's I might be there or I might be nursing the hangover from hell

vman

Postby vman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:24 pm

Count me in for tomorrow!

three214

Postby three214 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:21 pm

Finally got around to registering for the Amy Gillett ride today.
Joined up the same time as a mate (25-29km/hr group), as no-one from work seems to be able to commit (10 guys that can talk it up...)

Just a query though, at no point was I asked for a jersey size this year?
Anyone else noticed this, or did I miss something in the registration.
There was the option to buy old merchandise, but I didn't see any other info on jersey's.

theprofessor

Postby theprofessor » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:27 pm

Hey boys

Count me in for tomorrow. A short one up to Willie and back is perfect for me. Too nackered for anything else. I also get the pleasure of being dragged around the shops being told to buy presents tomorrow afternoon. Best leave plenty of time for that one ey.

See you at 8

Denz

Postby Denz » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:02 pm

Fellas I'm out for tommorow, I'll catch you guys at the Amy gillet ride, unless we get to squeeze another ride before then, have a safe x'mas. Cheers Dennis :D

three214

Postby three214 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:16 pm

three214 wrote:
migz05 wrote:
ecosse wrote:You lot may have seen this
http://www.bikely.com/
Just type in a local place, say Melton, Bacchus Marsh, Gisborne etc and look for a ride...
or what about starting from Geelong and down to Portarlington etc, not checked the km`s yet
Don
so we start there and just check out the surrounds?
Thought I would just map out my usual ride on Bikely.com to let you see which roads I take, but after an hour and a half of setting out and adding commentary at all the points, it wouldn't save, then when I clicked on the Forum to check if anyone else was having issues, I lost the route. For some reason it wouldn't recognise Geelong as a city, so couldn't save the route. Very annoying, 90 minutes of time lost forever... Seems like it had 'logged me out' whilst I was creating the route.

Hopefully will get the route plotted soon... when I calm down
Sorry for the delay... here is my 'regular' route that I generally try to get in on a Sunday morning. I alter the ride depending of time and weather, but that is the basis for the most part, easily altered by 15km either longer or shorter.
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/co ... -60km-loop
If anyone is interested in heading down the highway for a change of scenery, it would be easy to start/finish at the Harvey Norman or Bunnings carpark...
Cheers

Ozzie

Postby Ozzie » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:32 am

Hi gents I'm now on holidays so I'm available for rides if anyones is keen over the Christmas break I will post on the forum when I'm heading out. A few mentioned heading out for the usual trip to Willie this Saturday morning. Whos still in for the final "Chrissie Spin " depart Degani 8.00am Saturday 24th. Regards Colin.

w00dsy

Postby w00dsy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:50 pm

it looks like i might finally be able to come out for a ride again this saturday. Work finishes tomorrow and i need to get some km's under my expanding belt before Amy's ride, so count me in for this weekend. I'll probably try and ride most days between xmas and new year as well so if anyone is keen for a few rides i'm up for it. I might try and do one or two down the highway and back.

vman

Postby vman » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:41 pm

Count me in for a Saturday spin :)

mattg

Postby mattg » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:29 pm

Gentleman,

Merry Christmas, hope you all have a great holiday period and that Santa spoils you all. I'm away for xmas so will miss the last spin before the new year. I'll be around for the new year, but I am not doing the Amy Gillet ride. Should anyone wish to head out between 27 - 31 Dec just let me know. Ozzie, I retraced the 'ride for kids' route with a few guys from works this morning. Added Lancefield and Rochford to the loop and then up over Mt Macedon with a quick stop for refueling at the cross. Absolutely smashed my legs! The route ticked over 100km, so if anyone is interested in having a go, let me know.

Take care, stay safe.

theprofessor

Postby theprofessor » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:00 pm

Hey lads. I'm in for tomorrow

w00dsy

Postby w00dsy » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:33 pm

i'm 50/50 for tomorrow. Played golf for our work breakup today and got wickedly sunburnt, starting to feel a bit second rate right now. I'll see how i pull up in the morning.

migz05

Postby migz05 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:12 pm

will anyone be up for a saturday (31st) spin this week? brother in law is in town and i'm pretty sure he's keen.

sorry i know that this is a lot earlier than usual?
Giant TCR Advanced 1 2011
Malvern Star Switch 29-3

Denz

Postby Denz » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:38 pm

Migz I'll be riding but not sure if (AT) point cook or beach rd

Cheers Dennis

vman

Postby vman » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:11 am

Hey Migz at this stage I'm a yes for Saturdays ride.

Also I'll be heading out tomorrow morning for those that are on holidays and would like to join....