Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

three214

Re: Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Postby three214 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:47 pm

w00dsy wrote:lol, i can guarantee it was my first bear in the woods experience. Hopefully it'll be my last too. I never ended up going out for a ride today, woke up early and felt like crap. Maybe tomorrow i might head to Geelong and back. I always enjoy that ride along the highway.
I am guessing the shoulder of the highway is a lot better for debris than the Ring road shoulder.
I live in the northern suburbs of Geelong, and have been contemplating riding the highway to Hoppers Crossing and back instead of my usual ride through Geelong to Torquay or around to the Bellarine Peninsula, I just aren't sure on the quality/cleanliness of the shoulder. I often look along the Ring Rd at the amount of rocks and other debris on it, hence my post on your experience, but I think the highway looks a lot less of a puncture risk.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:43 pm

three214 wrote:
w00dsy wrote:lol, i can guarantee it was my first bear in the woods experience. Hopefully it'll be my last too. I never ended up going out for a ride today, woke up early and felt like crap. Maybe tomorrow i might head to Geelong and back. I always enjoy that ride along the highway.
I am guessing the shoulder of the highway is a lot better for debris than the Ring road shoulder.
I live in the northern suburbs of Geelong, and have been contemplating riding the highway to Hoppers Crossing and back instead of my usual ride through Geelong to Torquay or around to the Bellarine Peninsula, I just aren't sure on the quality/cleanliness of the shoulder. I often look along the Ring Rd at the amount of rocks and other debris on it, hence my post on your experience, but I think the highway looks a lot less of a puncture risk.

The freeway from geelong to werribee has a fair bit of debris on it, and getting a puncture would notbe unusual.
But it is not horribly bad, and it is perfectly fine for riding your bike. :wink:
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

w00dsy

Postby w00dsy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:40 pm

the geelong-melb road is quite good, i've done it quite a few times now and only ever had one puncture. It has a few stones here and there but it's easily rideable mainly because it's so wide so even if there is the odd bit of crap it's avoidable. Compared to the ring rd it's perfect, much much cleaner. It's one of my favorite rides just because you can kind of sit on a comfortable speed and not be interrupted by anything. When you ride it you see a lot of weird road kill, i saw a dead Owl last week. I drive to Geelong from Hoppers every day for work and i always see people riding it.

w00dsy

Postby w00dsy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:51 pm

hey do any of you buggers use Strava to record your rides? If you do feel free to add me to your *cough* athletes list. http://app.strava.com/athletes/119842

wallaby

Postby wallaby » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:51 pm

I have been checking some maps to help me with some shorter local rides and have a few questions:

1. How do you guys get to Altona from Point Cook? Point Cook Rd roundabout scares the beegeessus out of me and I'm looking for a nice comfortable alternative to that damn road. I have no problems riding on Queen St etc but I'm just not sure of the best way to get on there from here. I have used the bike path (asphalt) that is along the creek there but thats not the best surface either. Am thinking that might be my best option at this point.

2.With the Melbourne to Geelong ride (I know thats a long ride, I know :lol: ), do you follow the Federation Trail onto the freeway or is there a better way of getting there? Does the trail take you straight onto the freeway coz it looks like you need to double back towards werribee a bit before crossing over the freeway at the servo. Am I right?

Any help would be appreciated as I'm trying to map out some rides in my head before I attempt them so I'm not constantly stopping to refer to a map! :)
Kym
2012 Giant Avail 1 (black and white, not pink!)

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:08 pm

wallaby wrote:I have been checking some maps to help me with some shorter local rides and have a few questions:

1. How do you guys get to Altona from Point Cook? Point Cook Rd roundabout scares the beegeessus out of me and I'm looking for a nice comfortable alternative to that damn road. I have no problems riding on Queen St etc but I'm just not sure of the best way to get on there from here. I have used the bike path (asphalt) that is along the creek there but thats not the best surface either. Am thinking that might be my best option at this point.

2.With the Melbourne to Geelong ride (I know thats a long ride, I know :lol: ), do you follow the Federation Trail onto the freeway or is there a better way of getting there? Does the trail take you straight onto the freeway coz it looks like you need to double back towards werribee a bit before crossing over the freeway at the servo. Am I right?

Any help would be appreciated as I'm trying to map out some rides in my head before I attempt them so I'm not constantly stopping to refer to a map! :)

1. you could go via sanctuary lakes. (sanctuary lakes north boulevard, and then enter bike path.)
or, bypass PC road a little by taking, either seabrook boulevard or shane av, it is not much, but it takes away a section of PC road.

2, Fed trail connect directly from geelong to werribee, it does not work the other way round, unless you wanna go against traffic.. :shock:
So probably the best way is to enter freeway at duncans road. (were K road starts), so take the fed trail duncans road exit, and ride towards K road.
There is a small bike path that leads onto freeway.
wallaby wrote:I have used the bike path (asphalt) that is along the creek there ..
Do you mean the one that crosses PC road?
yeah, that one is no good.., there is one that connects to that closer to altona, and that is much better, that one also leads to sanctuary lakes.

Personally I use PC road often, and it is not so bad.
GIve it some time to get used to.. :wink:

Hope that helps a bit. 8)
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

w00dsy

Postby w00dsy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:55 pm

wallaby wrote: 1. How do you guys get to Altona from Point Cook? Point Cook Rd roundabout scares the beegeessus out of me and I'm looking for a nice comfortable alternative to that damn road. I have no problems riding on Queen St etc but I'm just not sure of the best way to get on there from here. I have used the bike path (asphalt) that is along the creek there but thats not the best surface either. Am thinking that might be my best option at this point.

this may be an option, it only goes on that path near the creek for a little bit but it avoids that round about, which we take without issue when we do our rides, but i can see why you'd want to avoid it. http://runkeeper.com/user/w00dsy/route/870802

wallaby wrote: 2.With the Melbourne to Geelong ride (I know thats a long ride, I know :lol: ), do you follow the Federation Trail onto the freeway or is there a better way of getting there? Does the trail take you straight onto the freeway coz it looks like you need to double back towards werribee a bit before crossing over the freeway at the servo. Am I right?

i get on and off the geelong fwy via the end of the federation trail where the old rail bridge is. There's a path that takes you under the bridge and back up onto the fwy. Have a look at this ride i did and zoom in on that section and you'll see how it ducks under the bridge. http://app.strava.com/rides/1123887 And to get off coming back there's a hole in the fence that takes you straight back onto the fed trail. I guess Sneydes Rd might be the easiest way for you to get to the Fed trail, just go over the bridge at the fwy and turn left at the trail. Easy peasy :)
Last edited by w00dsy on Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wallaby

Postby wallaby » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:04 am

Thanks for the tips - I just hate that roundabout at pt cook road in general, so am not game yet to attack that roundabout til I'm confident at stopping quickly, getting feet out and taking off again quickly - or until I'm in a group so I can follow everyone else. So whilst I'm on my own I'd rather just avoid it completely at this stage.

Will have a look at those webpages when am at home (damn server here blocks everything.)

I keep looking at that old rail bridge when I drive past it as it looks easy enough coming from geelong to melbourne, but the other way I was always a bit confused about how to get on the right side of the road, will give that a go and also keep in mind Duncans Rd as an option otherwise.

Thanks a lot!! Hopefully will get 1-2 of those longer rides in before hubby disappears on Thursday, while the weather's good! :mrgreen:
Kym

w00dsy

Re: Re: Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Postby w00dsy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:28 am

wallaby wrote:Hopefully will get 1-2 of those longer rides in before hubby disappears on Thursday, while the weather's good! :mrgreen:

You're not planning on killing him are you?

wallaby

Postby wallaby » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:19 pm

Honestly, your honour, I didn't do it!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

(Nah, just Fiji lucky duck, although there are still cannibals there in the mountains......... :shock: )
Kym

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:17 am

w00dsy wrote:
i get on and off the geelong fwy via the end of the federation trail where the old rail bridge is.
How about a google image to make it easier ??

entry freeway to geelong ; Duncans road, opposite K road ;
http://maps.google.com/?ll=-37.912859,1 ... src=6&z=20

Exit , is very easy, ther is a big sign after the werribee river.. :D ;
http://maps.google.com/?ll=-37.919604,1 ... ,66.1,,0,0

And wallaby, have a look here, footloose strarted another thread for ya.. 8)
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 76#p683476
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

w00dsy

Postby w00dsy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:07 pm

damhooligan wrote: How about a google image to make it easier ??

http://maps.google.com/?ll=-37.919644,1 ... ralia&z=19

wallaby

Postby wallaby » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:23 pm

That last google image is exactly what I was thinking when you first mentioned it. They've since re-done all that rail bridge/water works bit and I had seen that footpath and thought it might've been owned by the Zoo but I am glad that is the part when you re-join the freeway.

Will definately give that route a go soon! (will probably go the Forsyth Rd option to get onto the Trail (still bad but seems to have just a bit more room) rather than Sneydes (bit too narrow for me), as I am just off Boardwalk Boulevard so easy access for me.
entry freeway to geelong ; Duncans road, opposite K road ;
That looks nice and easy too! So at least I have a few options now..... now just to do it!!

Thanks for that other thread too re: Pt Cook to Altona route. Awesome! :D
Kym

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:42 pm

w00dsy wrote:
damhooligan wrote: How about a google image to make it easier ??

http://maps.google.com/?ll=-37.919644,1 ... ralia&z=19

Ow, I didn't know you could also enter the freeway there, must try it one day.

Thanks for that. 8)
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

norbs

Postby norbs » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:10 pm

If you lot go out on Sat the 15th, I might tag along with woodsy if you dont mind a fat bloke in the group. :)

w00dsy

Postby w00dsy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:43 pm

norbs wrote:If you lot go out on Sat the 15th, I might tag along with woodsy if you dont mind a fat bloke in the group. :)

hey if the can tolerate me i'm sure they'll be happy with your arse in front of them. Just don't wear those see through white Aldi knicks you wore last time. I'm still getting night terrors.

vman

Postby vman » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:36 pm

Hey all, anybody heading out tomorrow for the usual Sat morning ride?

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:48 pm

vman wrote:Hey all, anybody heading out tomorrow for the usual Sat morning ride?
Yep.

(but the 'unless I sleep in' clause is in effect for that day... :D )
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

w00dsy

Postby w00dsy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:02 pm

I wont be there, i have a bucks day starting in Gisborne at 11.30am.

migz05

Postby migz05 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:18 pm

I'm keen. who else is up for it?
Giant TCR Advanced 1 2011
Malvern Star Switch 29-3

Ozzie

Postby Ozzie » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:37 pm

Boys I'm in see you at 8.00 usual place Degani Coffee Shop. Regards Colin.

nyeholt

Postby nyeholt » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:13 pm

w00dsy wrote:I wont be there, i have a bucks day starting in Gisborne at 11.30am.
That's not Rod's is it?

w00dsy

Postby w00dsy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:03 pm

if you mean Rod Big Chief Man !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!, then indeed it is. But my name is Jason. And who would nyeholt be?

nyeholt

Postby nyeholt » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:57 pm

Marcus - I work with Rod :). Either it's a strange coincidence and there's two Rods with their buck's days on Saturday starting in Gisborne, or I've just discovered an awesome nickname for him. Even if it's not the same Rod, I think it's a suitable nickname.

w00dsy

Postby w00dsy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:31 pm

there was a couple of bucks days up there, the bus that took us on our pub crawl was also doing another bucks night at 6pm. When we went to the Holgate Brewery in Woodend we saw a hens day and also an 18th birthday there. Must have been party weekend.

My nicknames on another forum is Rod, and Big Chief Man !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!. I thought maybe you knew me from there. Must just be a coincidence.