Page 1 of 18

Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:33 am
by mattg
Hello all,

New to this forum so apologies if this subject has been brought up previous or it is in the wrong area. I am wondering if there are any weekend road rides in the Point Cook area?

Re: Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:31 pm
by damhooligan
mattg wrote:Hello all,

New to this forum so apologies if this subject has been brought up previous or it is in the wrong area. I am wondering if there are any weekend road rides in the Point Cook area?


Hi mattg.

I am also from Point cook.
There is nothing in point cook, but there are regular saturday rides leaving from bicycle superstore in hoppers. (around 80km)
and the same group organises a shorter ride on sunday from werribee (around 50km).
Send me a pm if you want more info on this ride.

There used to be a groupride from altona, but not sure if that is stil going, never ridden with them.
And there is the option of a group ride leaving from williamstown , but never done this before.


What distances can you do?
and what speeds are comfortable for you?

If you want we can hook up for a ride one day.

Re: Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:32 pm
by nyeholt
I'll be moving down to Point Cook later in the year, so would love to know some info about weekend rides. Every time I head down there, there seems to be more and more cyclists on the road, so I'm guessing there's informal groups meeting up. What's the ride like between Point Cook and Melbourne?

I'm reasonably new to the bike, but am comfortable with 50km in distance (slowly working up to longer), and so far am comfortable in the low 30s for extended periods on the flat.

Re: Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:19 pm
by damhooligan
nyeholt wrote:I'll be moving down to Point Cook later in the year, so would love to know some info about weekend rides. Every time I head down there, there seems to be more and more cyclists on the road, so I'm guessing there's informal groups meeting up. What's the ride like between Point Cook and Melbourne?

I'm reasonably new to the bike, but am comfortable with 50km in distance (slowly working up to longer), and so far am comfortable in the low 30s for extended periods on the flat.


Wel flat.
That's what it is in point cook and around, the weekend group rides I do are going out west, towards lara/little river.
The only thing we have is worse then hills: wind.
It can be pretty brutal out there, al open no coverage, just a lot of fun... 8)

If you can do 50, you can do 80.
You might do the last 30 a bit slower, but no panic, we won't leave anyone behind.
The older guys are always looking for excuses to slow down, so they wil welcome you with both arms.. :lol:


I also notice a small increase in grouprides, but not sure where they start from.

Re: Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:23 pm
by spec58
Hey guys,

Im also from Point Cook and would be really interested in participating in a group ride if there are enough people that we could muster up,
i too see the small groups riding round in the early hours of the weekend and think just where are these guys heading off from.
Im quite new to cycling and id really like to be part of a bunch ride as it can get kinda boring by myself all the time.

Re: Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:06 am
by Cisco
Hi,

I also live in the area (near Werribee Plaza) and seen a few small groups in Saturday mornings leaving from Bicycle Super Store. I also have seen cyclists around Altona Beach.

I'm interested to join in.

Cheers!

Re: Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:35 pm
by damhooligan
spec58 wrote:Hey guys,

Im also from Point Cook and would be really interested in participating in a group ride if there are enough people that we could muster up,
i too see the small groups riding round in the early hours of the weekend and think just where are these guys heading off from.
Im quite new to cycling and id really like to be part of a bunch ride as it can get kinda boring by myself all the time.


Cisco wrote:Hi,

I also live in the area (near Werribee Plaza) and seen a few small groups in Saturday mornings leaving from Bicycle Super Store. I also have seen cyclists around Altona Beach.

I'm interested to join in.

Cheers!



Hi Cisco and Spec58.

The same group that leaves saturdays from bicycle superstore , also leaves on sundays from weribee plaza (corner next to library)
Both rides start at 7'30.
The saturday ride is around 80km, the sunday one around 50km.

All you have to do is show up on time, (10 minutes before the ride, so you can introduce yourself.)

Re: Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:29 pm
by SteveF
Hey Guys,

Yes there are two rides organised from Hoppers. The Saturday ride starts at 7.30am from Bicycle Superstore and is 80 to 100klm and the Sunday ride starts at 7.30am and is around 50klm from the Werribee plaza in front of the library. If you contact Bicycle Superstore in Hoppers they will put you on the email mailing list.

Been riding with them for almost 12 months and a great group of guys who look after you and make sure that no one rides on their own. All new riders are welcome and its for free.

Just rock up 5 minutes before the ride and ask for Terry.

Re: Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:39 pm
by migz05
Hi,

just wanting to know how this thread went? did you guys ever get a ride going? i'm in the Sanctuary Lakes area and would love to find some riding buddies!

Re: Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:37 pm
by nyeholt
migz05 wrote:Hi,

just wanting to know how this thread went? did you guys ever get a ride going? i'm in the Sanctuary Lakes area and would love to find some riding buddies!


I'm still several months away from moving down there. Waiting for a house to be built first!

Re: Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:57 pm
by damhooligan
migz05 wrote:Hi,

just wanting to know how this thread went? did you guys ever get a ride going? i'm in the Sanctuary Lakes area and would love to find some riding buddies!



Like mentioned before, there are group rides on the weekend 8)

Just let me know if you are interested , we can ride to the start together.. :wink:

Re: Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:08 pm
by ecosse
Hi people, I am another Point Cook rider looking for some road riding partners. Many years on a mountain bike and recently on a road bike. Anyone fancy a few local runs before moving onto one of the group rides from Hoppers or somewhere.
Not super fit or into 100km stuff, just like to stretch my legs when I get the chance which is not very often these days (work, family, fixing stuff).

Don

Not as young as I used to be....

Re: Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:00 pm
by migz05
ecosse wrote:Hi people, I am another Point Cook rider looking for some road riding partners. Many years on a mountain bike and recently on a road bike. Anyone fancy a few local runs before moving onto one of the group rides from Hoppers or somewhere.
Not super fit or into 100km stuff, just like to stretch my legs when I get the chance which is not very often these days (work, family, fixing stuff).

Don

Not as young as I used to be....


i'll be getting my new road bike towards the end of the month! still shopping around now but i'm certain i will be getting a new one!
once i get it lets make a ride happen. i'm looking to enter in one of the shorter options for the Round the bay in a Day and would love to take on a 100km ride! so we should arrange something by the end of this month?

i few local runs would be good before entering one of the group rides!

Re: Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:11 pm
by ecosse
Last weekend it was from Point Cook, out on the Federation Trail and back via Altona, a good 38km I think (new bike computer not arrived yet). This weekend thinking about a run into Melbourne on the Federation Trail, then down the back streets towards ScienceWorks and onto the trail up towards Footscray, over the bridge and down towards the Docklands, up to Southern Cross Station.......and get the train back....Never done the whole way before. Not sure what the forecast is this weekend.
What bike are you thinking of getting? My latest machine is a mid range CX bike, very handy on some of the rough cyclepaths around here but not as light as a full on road machine. Can also launch it off kerbs without any problems....

Point Cook, its too flat, we need some hills.

Re: Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:18 pm
by migz05
i'm thinking about getting a new mid-level road bike. so my bike riding will have to really be limited to roads and sealed bike paths!

Re: Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:40 pm
by ecosse
The bike paths around here are all sealed, Federation Trail, Werribee River path, Altona/Williamstown path, Point Cook Creek. Watch out for loose dogs, loose kids and in Summer, snakes...
The weather looks rubbish this long weekend, may not get a run into Melbourne.
Just picked up a good book: `Bike Rides Around Melbourne, Exploring Melbourne by Train and Bike` a series of rides to and from railway stations so no car required. Some interesting rides to do in and around the city. Also made contact with one of the local bike shop weekend runs, this weekend they are on for 85km, a bit much for me at this stage...

Re: Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:09 pm
by mio
Hi there, i'm just wondering if anyone will be riding tommorow morning? could you give me some details, i'd like to join

Re: Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:11 pm
by ecosse
There is a shop ride tomorrow, I was in contact with them recently. Copy of details received:

We do have a ride that leaves from Bicycle Superstore in Hoppers Crossing on Saturday mornings at 7:30 sharp. Typically we head west to the You Yangs, Lara, Corio, Bacchus Marsh or other destination. The ride distance is generally 80 to 100k with anywhere between 10 to 25 riders. We have a number of points along the ride where the faster boys wait for the slower riders, but we leave the coffee until we arrive back at the store. The average speed for the slower riders would be over 25-27kph and there is no average age. I suspect we have most age brackets covered with a couple of riders in their 20's & 30's but more in the 40-70 range.
There is also a non-advertised ride on Sundays which is generally around 50k, leaving from the library at the Werribee Plaza. I am not sure what time that leaves.
You are more than welcome to join us on tha Saturday, just turn up about 7:20 or come and join us for a coffee and a chat at the cafe next to Bicycle Superstore around 10:30, you can't miss us.

The ride is 83km tomorrow, a bit too far for me at present. I`ll need a few training runs before this....
I am looking at a run into Melbourne at some point this long weekend (on paths as far as possible, train it back...)

Re: Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:58 pm
by damhooligan
ecosse wrote:There is a shop ride tomorrow, I was in contact with them recently. Copy of details received:

We do have a ride that leaves from Bicycle Superstore in Hoppers Crossing on Saturday mornings at 7:30 sharp. Typically we head west to the You Yangs, Lara, Corio, Bacchus Marsh or other destination. The ride distance is generally 80 to 100k with anywhere between 10 to 25 riders. We have a number of points along the ride where the faster boys wait for the slower riders, but we leave the coffee until we arrive back at the store. The average speed for the slower riders would be over 25-27kph and there is no average age. I suspect we have most age brackets covered with a couple of riders in their 20's & 30's but more in the 40-70 range.
There is also a non-advertised ride on Sundays which is generally around 50k, leaving from the library at the Werribee Plaza. I am not sure what time that leaves.
You are more than welcome to join us on tha Saturday, just turn up about 7:20 or come and join us for a coffee and a chat at the cafe next to Bicycle Superstore around 10:30, you can't miss us.

The ride is 83km tomorrow, a bit too far for me at present. I`ll need a few training runs before this....
I am looking at a run into Melbourne at some point this long weekend (on paths as far as possible, train it back...)


It is only 82km... that is 1 K less ... :D , or is this still too long.. :lol:

I'm working , so no ride for me on saturday.. :evil:
But the sunday and public holiday monday ride are around the 40-50km mark, mayby that suits you better ??
Leaving 7'30 from werribee plaza.

Re: Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:29 am
by mio
Thanks for that, I'll try make it over tommorow (Sunday) for the ride. 7:30 at the library.

Re: Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:19 pm
by ecosse
I made the ride on Monday, 7:30am from the library. 7 of us, 48km total. Thanks to the guys for putting up with me hanging on the back and struggling on more than a few occasions. Also helping fix my puncture....
I enjoyed myself and it certainly made me work. It was cool and sunny, slight breeze, excellent conditions. I`ll be back for more in the near future.
thanks

Re: Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:26 pm
by damhooligan
ecosse wrote:I made the ride on Monday, 7:30am from the library. 7 of us, 48km total. Thanks to the guys for putting up with me hanging on the back and struggling on more than a few occasions. Also helping fix my puncture....
I enjoyed myself and it certainly made me work. It was cool and sunny, slight breeze, excellent conditions. I`ll be back for more in the near future.
thanks



Good to hear you enjoyed it.. :D


mio wrote:Thanks for that, I'll try make it over tommorow (Sunday) for the ride. 7:30 at the library.

Did you go last sunday ??

Re: Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:50 pm
by w00dsy
hey guys, another Hoppers resident here that has gotten into the bike craze of late. I like the idea of a group ride so i might try and come along sometime soon. I just did my first ride with others last weekend on the other side of the bay doing a bit of a recce for Around The Bay In a Day later in the year and i really enjoyed the group atmosphere. I'm trying to get back onto the right side of 100kg and riding by yourself in winter in not good for motivation so a group ride would be a great reason to get out. Most of my rides tend to be between 30-100km's so these rides fit in perfectly. Hopefully i'll be able to get out with some of you soon.

Jason.

Re: Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:06 am
by oberresford
Hi Guys,

I am also from around the Point Cook area (Seabrook to be exact) and try to get out most weekends to do a ride, I generally end up doing a circuit around werribee south.

I usually only average around 25km/h over about 35-50km. I've never done any group riding before but would like to give it a go and make rides a bit more interesting. Im trying to build up to doing a 100km around the bay.

It looks like there are a few people from Point Cook, any plans for a group ??

Cheers,
Ollie :)

Re: Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:15 pm
by migz05
Hi,

who's keen on going this saturday? i wanna break in my recent purchase. Of course also getting to know some of you guys. also is anyone keen on going in any of the rides in around the bay in a day?