Around the Bay in a Day discussion

Skidmarx

Re: Around the Bay in a Day discussion

Postby Skidmarx » Sun May 08, 2011 8:33 am

G'Day all,

Just wondering if someone can provide a bit of advice, a mate & I are thinking about doing the ATB this year and have noticed that the 250km & the 210km Queenscliff rides are already sold out. The Sorrento 210km is still open but as "foreigners" (from SA!) I was just wondering if there is a reason for this?

I dont want to sign up for this if no-one else does this route and its just me an my mate pushing into a gale force sea breeze that comes up every afternoon or something like that?

Can anyone shed any light onto this for me? Hoping that its just a popularity thing and we will be fine doing the 210 Sorrento (along with others too!)

Cheers
"What goes up MUST go down!"

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Sun May 08, 2011 6:05 pm

Hi Skid

Me a few mates come from Perth and have always done this way. I can't think of any particular reason other than the stretch from Geelong to Melbourne is really boring and getting it done in the dark/half light makes it seem quicker.

Maybe some Victorians can advise if Mt Martha is easier one way or the other.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon May 09, 2011 4:19 pm

have done the 210km Melb-Sorrento-Melb. it was a pretty smooth ride. you can get winds though - but if you find a bunch, they are much less of a problem than if you are riding solo.

Skidmarx

Postby Skidmarx » Mon May 09, 2011 4:51 pm

Thanks for the replies Redbull & Jules - mate & I have just signed up so now need to put the km's onto the road in preperation (guessing it is more time in the saddle rather than distances/hills).

Is this it as flat as it seems? We are regular weekend riders (~80kms each Sunday) and did this years tour down under community challenge pretty easily so am thinking we should be pretty right for this if it is as flat as it looks.

Cheers

Skiddie
"What goes up MUST go down!"

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon May 09, 2011 4:57 pm

there are no serious hills and the only way you will not finish is if you go too hard, too early. otherwise just keep rolling and you'll get there. it's an easy ride.

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Wed May 11, 2011 2:05 pm

Have booked in the 210k M-S-M route, the ferry is a pain in the rear end and I reckon the M-S-M is a more interesting ride. Will ride down to the starting blocks and home and get my self up to the 250k mark for the day :D Lets hope its better weather than last years effort.
Happy Days

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Just signed up for the new 135km ride. Gonna be the longest ride I've done yet, time to start training up!

Aside, apart from those who'll wear club kit, you guys gonna wear the ride jersey, or should we show some BNA colours?

Semar

Postby Semar » Wed May 25, 2011 8:39 pm

Not sure what was meant by the 210km booked out. I just registered. :wink:
It’s more like our thoughts are thinking us than we are thinking them.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Wed May 25, 2011 8:55 pm

Skidmarx wrote:G'Day all,

Just wondering if someone can provide a bit of advice, a mate & I are thinking about doing the ATB this year and have noticed that the 250km & the 210km Queenscliff rides are already sold out. The Sorrento 210km is still open but as "foreigners" (from SA!) I was just wondering if there is a reason for this?

I dont want to sign up for this if no-one else does this route and its just me an my mate pushing into a gale force sea breeze that comes up every afternoon or something like that?

Can anyone shed any light onto this for me? Hoping that its just a popularity thing and we will be fine doing the 210 Sorrento (along with others too!)

Cheers
The anti clockwise one is always been the more popular one, but this doesn't mean the clockwise loop is not popular at all, there wil be plenty others.. :wink:

The anti clockwise one is more popular because you have the 'boring' bit (freeway between werribee and geelong) early in the ride.
Some people do not like to do this at the end when you are getting tired.
Also the home stretch on the anti clockwise one wil be beach road,filled with bike shops, and cafe's and other shops wich is appealing to a lot of riders.
Also the anti clockwise one has the mental aspect of being able to have 'bail out' points, there is plenty of public transport availible.

Hope this helps. :wink:
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Wed May 25, 2011 9:58 pm

Going anticlock wise has been enjoyable for me. What I really like at the end is that some of the residents come out and cheer you on.

One year some nice folk were handing out cokes at the lights. No particular reason, just thought that it would help - it did and was most appreciated.

It starts to get busy as the various shorter distances riders come back this way. There are some huge bunchs - make sure you signal if you are slowing, stopping etc.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

juggled_balls

Postby juggled_balls » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:38 pm

hey everybody,
i just signed up to the 210km clockwise route. longest ride i've ever done. anybody got any training or diet tips i should follow? or should i just get on my bike and start doing massive rides?

w00dsy

Postby w00dsy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:45 am

i'm new to it as well and i have a few decent cycling mates who have told me to build up to be able to do 150km by myself, because i'll just find the other km's on the day, and being in a bunch will help. That's the other thing, make sure you can ride safely around others. I haven't got into the diet side of it yet but that's the next thing on my list.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:36 pm

w00dsy wrote:i'm new to it as well and i have a few decent cycling mates who have told me to build up to be able to do 150km by myself, because i'll just find the other km's on the day, and being in a bunch will help. That's the other thing, make sure you can ride safely around others. I haven't got into the diet side of it yet but that's the next thing on my list.
That's good advice, as there wil be many others around...

Try and do some group rides.
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

Wildbeam

Postby Wildbeam » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:41 pm

Hi all,

This is also my first attempt at ATB. I will be doing M - S - M.

I'm also a beginner to the world of cycling with 7 months under my belt. Training for this ride has started with 100km per week plus some big rides each weekend to get some hours in the saddle.

I'm guessing there's a number of guys and girls in the same situation and may also be attempting this ride on their own.

I'd be keen to know if anyone is interested in forming a bit of group for the ride. This will reduce the reliance on having to attach to other groups that may potentially be faster etc..

I'd be looking for riders who are happy to average mid 20's kph. Grind up the hills. Have fun on the downhills and maybe pick it up a bit on the flats. Not wanting to set any time records - but have a go at completing their goal.

Just a thought anyway. If there's any interest I might post an email address or facebook link for us to all use and communicate.

Cheers.

Big Lance

Postby Big Lance » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:35 am

Wildbeam wrote:Hi all,

I'm also a beginner to the world of cycling with 7 months under my belt. Training for this ride has started with 100km per week plus some big rides each weekend to get some hours in the saddle.

I'm guessing there's a number of guys and girls in the same situation and may also be attempting this ride on their own.

I'd be keen to know if anyone is interested in forming a bit of group for the ride. This will reduce the reliance on having to attach to other groups that may potentially be faster etc..

I'd be looking for riders who are happy to average mid 20's kph. Grind up the hills. Have fun on the downhills and maybe pick it up a bit on the flats. Not wanting to set any time records - but have a go at completing their goal.

Just a thought anyway. If there's any interest I might post an email address or facebook link for us to all use and communicate.

Cheers.
I'll go as far as Frankston with you. I'm doing the 100 k's but will ride there and home pushing it to 180. I've never ridden in a group before except when mountain biking with 2 mates back in Adelaide. I've only just moved to Melbourne and got my bike fixed so i'm just getting started riding around here. I live in Bonbeach if anyone would like to suggest some safer roads because the highway doesn't look like fun.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:59 pm

Would love to ride with you guys, but I'm doing the 135km Geelong-Q-S-Melbourne, so might be a bit hard to coordinate? And don't live in Melbourne either, so can't train with you either, I'm afraid.

Good to know there's a few other newbies to the ride from here though! Makes me feel less alone, somehow... :P

Eberbachl

Postby Eberbachl » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:04 pm

Skidmarx wrote:G'Day all,

Cheers
I've done the Clockwise Melb-Sorrento*ferry*Queenscliff-Melb route, and the reason it isn't popular (I loved the ride, but hated the route) is because Geelong -> Melbourne is as boring as it gets, and is especially bad if you've already got 100kms in your legs and are starting to get tired.

I was keen to do the RTB again this year, but missed the anti clockwise route, and I won't ride the Geelong-Melbourne home stretch again. I'm going to try and get organised enough to register for the anti clockwise route next year.

flynnyfalcon

Postby flynnyfalcon » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:37 pm

I have done the clockwise route before and can understand why the anti clockwise route is more popular. I was too late to sign up for the anti clockwise route this year but have no hesitation in doing the Melb-Sorrento-Queenscliff-Melbourne route this year, it's still a great ride. Just make sure you're prepared to take on the Westgate Bridge and don't burn all your energy too early. It absolutely ruined me the first time. :cry: Would love to get it out of the way early and pace yourself as you head up the east side of the bay.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:47 am

+1 to the above. I have done anticlockwise, but will not do clockwise. Geelong to Melbourne isnt just boring, it's also more exposed to wind. Not my idea of fun with over 100km under the belt.

The other reason anti-clockwise is so popular is it's the only way you can do the 250km route. There is the same number of ferry spots in each direction, anti-clockwise those spots are spread over 2 routes, clockwise its only 1.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Dimis

Postby Dimis » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:30 pm

Hi,

Looking for some help.

I'm a novice who has never done ATB, or any serious ride for that mater.
I have done a couple solo rides (typically the Glen Waverley loop ), and get through that all ok.
But if I'm honest, depending on the day, I do have to bail out up Waverley rd near the police academy by turning into one of the streets. It feels like my hearts going to explode, up that near 15% gradient.

See ride profile below:
http://www.cyclingprofiles.com.au/HTM/V ... verly2.htm

I was wondering "how fit" you have to be to do the M-S-M run?
& and the same time if you guys thought a rookie like myself could make that run at a first attempt.

Further, how long does the run to Sorrento normally take a Joe Blogs like myself.

Thanks

flynnyfalcon

Postby flynnyfalcon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:27 am

Dimis wrote:Hi,

Looking for some help.

I'm a novice who has never done ATB, or any serious ride for that mater.
I have done a couple solo rides (typically the Glen Waverley loop ), and get through that all ok.
But if I'm honest, depending on the day, I do have to bail out up Waverley rd near the police academy by turning into one of the streets. It feels like my hearts going to explode, up that near 15% gradient.

See ride profile below:
http://www.cyclingprofiles.com.au/HTM/V ... verly2.htm

I was wondering "how fit" you have to be to do the M-S-M run?
& and the same time if you guys thought a rookie like myself could make that run at a first attempt.

Further, how long does the run to Sorrento normally take a Joe Blogs like myself.

Thanks
Hi Dimis,

Great to see you're looking at doing the ATB. I did it around 8-9 years ago, as a somewhat fit, very unprepared bike rider. On a MTB with nobbies for what it's worth. It was far from easy, but it was very rewarding.

I've only recently started training for the ATB this year and am pretty confident I'll be ok if I don't over extend myself. If you're serious, have a look at Bicycle Victorias recommended guidelines for ATB training:

https://www.bv.com.au/general/great-rides/92795/

I live close to Beach Rd which I've been clocking up many recent km's, this though is the least of your worries, the biggest problem which I rediscovered recently is Olivers Hill just south of Frankston. Average Gradient of 6.4%; peaks a lot steeper, with an Elevation Gain of 30m. Doesn't sound terrible, but if you're not prepared you'll blow hard very quickly. After that, the hills around Mt Martha are not great, I don't recall them exactly, just that Olivers Hill was the biggest killer.

That said, if you were doing the full M-S-Q-M route, the Westgate Bridge if low on energy is an absolute back/heart breaker.

My recommendation is definitely do it. Train like mad, you still have 6 weeks left and clock up as many km's and hills as you can. Don't be afraid to stop on a hill if it feels like your " hearts going to explode" :shock: But it'll become easier and easier the more you train.

blueM5

Postby blueM5 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:44 pm

Cheers.
I'd be interested in a group of sorts if the abilities are all vaguely similar. Signed up late for the M-S-M / nasty Westgate / boring ride into a headwind (maybe) from Geelong ride too...

And dusted off a 20 yr old MTB to try it as well with six weeks prep time.

I'm fit otherwise though and knocked up a few short rides 30km along the eastern freeway and then did a Warrandyte to Carrum and back run on eastlink which was 100km yesterday. Felt good today but took me the best part of 5 hours so only 20kmh including a coffee break at the end and getting lost a few times past the Monash when the overpasses disappear.

Bit worried about cramping after many hours straight, what's the go with Hammer products vs the usual Gatorade etc???

ltki

Postby ltki » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:15 am

This year my partner and I are doing the 135km Geelong-Melboune ride and have just realised that we have no idea how we are going to get there for the start of the ride (poor planning I know!) With a 6am start, no accommodation for night before (that I can find ), no trains from Melb getting in early enough and no willing friends and family, we are thinking of driving but dont know the area at all and if there is somewhere we can park and leave the car. Any ideas????
Thanks!

juggled_balls

Postby juggled_balls » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:03 pm

blueM5 wrote:

Cheers.
I'd be interested in a group of sorts if the abilities are all vaguely similar. Signed up late for the M-S-M / nasty Westgate / boring ride into a headwind (maybe) from Geelong ride too...

And dusted off a 20 yr old MTB to try it as well with six weeks prep time.

I'm fit otherwise though and knocked up a few short rides 30km along the eastern freeway and then did a Warrandyte to Carrum and back run on eastlink which was 100km yesterday. Felt good today but took me the best part of 5 hours so only 20kmh including a coffee break at the end and getting lost a few times past the Monash when the overpasses disappear.

Bit worried about cramping after many hours straight, what's the go with Hammer products vs the usual Gatorade etc???

that's gonna be a killer of a ride. i remember the first and last time i did 100km on my mountain bike and my legs were burning by the end of it. on my roadie this time so will be a lot easier. i asked some guys in my lbs that did the ride and they said that i should really eat something about every 50km, like a muesli bar. they said to experiment to see how my body takes it. but i looked up things like endura and compared it to gatorade and their biggest thing is that gatorade doesn't have magnesium in it, which may lead to cramps at some point in the ride. i ended up buying some tablets from the guys that i'm pretty sure is just like a berocca so hopefully that'll keep me a bit more balanced after i've sweat everything out. some of the energy stuff they had on those shelves they said was all about personal preference on how well you can swallow it down on the go.

rednaxela

Postby rednaxela » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:15 pm

ltki wrote:This year my partner and I are doing the 135km Geelong-Melboune ride and have just realised that we have no idea how we are going to get there for the start of the ride (poor planning I know!) With a 6am start, no accommodation for night before (that I can find ), no trains from Melb getting in early enough and no willing friends and family, we are thinking of driving but dont know the area at all and if there is somewhere we can park and leave the car. Any ideas????
Thanks!
There is a rail station near the start line (Nth Geelong), maybe if you are early you can park your car there