Around the Bay in a Day discussion

Livetoride

Re: Around the Bay in a Day discussion

Postby Livetoride » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:41 am

Its not big, but I think its a worth while ride - 75k time trial in Nov. Figured I'd give it a go and see what its like racing against the clock. Haven't done that before excluding my commuting that is.
Happy Days

Semar

Postby Semar » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:17 pm

Found the coffee cruise, but not the time trial. When is that?
It’s more like our thoughts are thinking us than we are thinking them.

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:20 pm

Happy Days

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:22 pm

This is my ATB story from 2011.

4am Sunday morning I got up to have breakfast, half a bowl of pasta and half a sandwich. I had been carb loading and eating plenty of protein for 4 days to build my system up for ATB so I didn't need a lot of food.

5am, I got on the bike to make my way to the National Art Gallery to Meet Phil , Neil, Mark and Serge form LAID Cycling. W made our way to the start line, about 3rd row from the front and got set. We had no plan on going out hard other than to get out of the city.

The initial 30ks were the slowest getting out of the city and traffic lights and overtaking riders. When we got to the Westgate Bridge I knew Phil would want KOM on Strava, so I took off and Phil came past me and I jumped on his wheel, going over the top, and start the descent. We all bunched up again and kept a reasonable pace not to exhaust ourselves to early.

We came to a stretch of road, with a slight head/cross wind and Phil inched forward on his seat, lowered his back and started time trialling, Mark and I could both held his wheel and then eased off rejoining Neil and Serge. Phil was going for victory today!!

The 4 of us rolled on into the headwind with Mark and I taking turns off the front, and moving through the groupettos of slower riders. The wind into Geelong was fierce lashing our wheels and faces as we rode hard into it.

Once into Geelong and turning to Queenscliffe, the tail wind pushed us along and I sat down and span away in 50x11 holding 50kmhr, shouting at Neil, Mark and Serge to get on.

The pace to the ferry kept high, we had dropped Serg he wasn't feeling great as we made it to the ferry in the top 300 riders and lunch without knowing where Phil was. Only to find that Serg had ridden well to make it to the 10am ferry as well. And Phil calls to say he on the ferry as well.

We all started with a coffee after a great lunch and set off again. I don't like stopping for long periods, cramps and lactic build up, with spinning and some stretching helped and we settled into a pace again.

Phil soon came and took over captain duties at the front setting a high pace, eventually Serg felt the affects of being ill and trying to ride 210kms and Neil stayed with him, Mark and I held Phil's wheel and I pulled through to help out.

Still feeling fresh. Coming to the second climb of the day, and Phil took off, climbing like a mountain lion, I couldn't hold his wheel so I climbed at my pace, thinking Mark is on my wheel, riders were being pushed past their limits, riding very slowly, zig zagging, struggling over the handlebars trying to get a little more out of their legs. Coming from Tas, climbing was what we are used to. I could see Phil at the top, and I rolled next to him, looked over for Mark and we had dropped him on the climb. 40 seconds later Mark rolled up, and we set off again and Mark the great domestique said he would wait for Serg and Neil.

Phil and I set off with Phil still putting in long turns at the front, settling at 40kmhr. Then the rain started and it was pouring with little to no visibility with spray from Phils tire, thankfully my Oakley Jawbones protected my eyes.

After 50ks, my legs started didn't have the sting in them to hold Phils wheel and I was working hard not letting the rubber band break, but it did, I couldn't hold 40kmhr so settled at and I held 34kmhr about 10ks form Mordi.

Arriving at Tour de Cafe at Mordi, Phil was again waiting, and i rolled up, grabbed a Powerade and we set off again, this time into a 50kmhr headwind, ouch. This hurt our legs, our average and a lot of riders were struggling.

This stretch of road was bedlam with slow, tired riders not holding lines, bunching up, faster riders coming around the outside with no signals and into oncoming traffic.

And my Garmin died at 178kms. I now know not to have the brightness up. The wind, and 178kms had taken its toll on my legs and working with 3 others, we tried to keep 30km avg but that was difficult making our way through slower riders into the wind.

I lost the group I was riding with amongst the other riders. Turning towards Alexander Park the few riders I was with, started mentioning sprinting to the end which got me motivated. Lets do it. This turned into false bravado by them.

Coming into the final 1000 meters, the ride was almost over...a 90deg turn into the final straight and over the line I had completed my first ATB. And there was Phil he had beaten me by 10mins to the line.

We congratulated each other and started talking about our ride, the wind, the rain, the speed, the climbs and generally trash talking.

Neil, Mark and Serg all came accross the line together, great effort guys.

It was great to meet the LAID Cycling guys. I am sure if Serg was in good nick he would have been right with us. Mark, your a strong rider I think we should have left you at the front to carve our way though the field. Neil, your 59kgs beat my 2 secs up the Westaget Bridge. Phil your a powerhouse.

So with Garmin turning off with 32ks to go, and I kept a 32km/h average my time would be around 6hrs 36mins.

Time 05:36:17
Distance: 178ks
Max Speed 58.6 km/h
Avg Speed 31.9 km/h
Cadence 82.88
Device Garmin Edge 800
Bike The Prince

Would I do ATB again, defintely and beat my time from this year. The evnt was really well organised, with lots of marshalls and Police. I didnt seen any major accidents although 1 was reported with 20+ riders going down accross the road.

Semar

Postby Semar » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:39 pm

Found some really interesting jaunts here

http://www.audax.org.au/public/index.ph ... r&Itemid=2

I'd better get some hill training in. :wink:

pagey

Postby pagey » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:27 pm

Anyone else having withdrawals? :(

First timer, four months training, first big event ride.

What do I do now? :?
Then after the Alpine hit the 3 Peaks Challenge. Should keep you busy enough :D
cheers
Pagey

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:29 pm

Semar wrote:Anyone else having withdrawals? :(

I've got a big lawn that needs mowing... :mrgreen:
Happy Days

Semar

Postby Semar » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:40 pm

Livetoride wrote:

Could you do with this?

Giddyup

Postby Giddyup » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:48 pm

Semar wrote:
Livetoride wrote:

Could you do with this?

What about this ride http://www.basscoastcyclechallenge.com/