Cycling Club

Cycling Club

Postby robbie72 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:29 pm

Hi i have been riding for many years (not competitively) with friends. I was thinking of jouning a club because lately i've just been riding the same track everyweek and it's getting a bit repitive. I'm 16 and i can only ride a few times a week due to other sports and homework and i was wondering on any thoughts of clubs to join. I don't particulary want to go riding with groups of people alot older than me. Also i don't particulary want to pay $100 to join a club for which i will ride with only once or twice a week. I want to join a club which can show me new circuits and places to ride to and that hold at least one 100km ride everyweekend. Anything around the eastern suburbs would also be great. I might get into racing but suposedly starting at a late age is pointless. Do you have any ideas?
robbie72

by BNA » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:55 pm

BNA

Re: Cycling Club

Postby Xponti » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:55 pm

robbie72 wrote: I might get into racing but suposedly starting at a late age is pointless.

It is NEVER too late to get into racing. I have just started at 39. Never say never.

As for bike clubs, no idea in Victoria, but you could try looking at a listing from Cycling Vic and having a look at the clubs list there

http://www.vic.cycling.org.au/default.a ... 076%2F0%2F

You will see webpage links for the clubs, so take your pick
There is no peace only Passion (for cycling), through Passion I gain Strength (in my legs), through Strength I gain Power (watts), through Power I gain Victory!

2007 Giant OCR1
Malvern Star Pinnacle MTB
Xponti

Postby il padrone » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:19 pm

robbie72 wrote:Hi i have been riding for many years (not competitively) with friends. I was thinking of jouning a club because lately i've just been riding the same track everyweek and it's getting a bit repitive. I'm 16 and i can only ride a few times a week due to other sports and homework and i was wondering on any thoughts of clubs to join. I don't particulary want to go riding with groups of people alot older than me. Also i don't particulary want to pay $100 to join a club for which i will ride with only once or twice a week. I want to join a club which can show me new circuits and places to ride to and that hold at least one 100km ride everyweekend. Anything around the eastern suburbs would also be great. I might get into racing but suposedly starting at a late age is pointless. Do you have any ideas?

I was about to suggest to you that my club would suit you well. It ticks all your boxes. We run rides every weekend, try to go on mew routes as often as we can, often have a 100+km ride on and our membership is well under $100.

But the age thing. Well, my son rides with the club and is on the committee. But he's 19 so a bit too old for you :P :oops: . There are a few too many silverbacks when I look around our meetings these days :P

Try Bicycle Victoria's list of Clubs and BUGs.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby nyeholt » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:42 pm

il padrone wrote:I was about to suggest to you that my club would suit you well. It ticks all your boxes. We run rides every weekend, try to go on mew routes as often as we can, often have a 100+km ride on and our membership is well under $100.

What club would that be? I've been riding around for a few months now, but would be good to get some more KMs into my legs.
nyeholt

Postby il padrone » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:13 pm

Melbourne Bicycle Touring Club. Organisers of last weekend's MAD Ride

Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Bentnose » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:35 am

robbie72 wrote: I might get into racing but suposedly starting at a late age is pointless.

I didn't start racing till I was in my early 20's, it's never too late to start.
Bentnose

Postby il padrone » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:50 pm

Bentnose wrote:

I didn't start racing till I was in my early 20's, it's never too late to start.

I have heard of a bloke in Inverell who began racing in his mid-50s. It was an article in The Australian. He was still racing and rides 350kms per week. He was just about to ride with the Grafon to Inverell road race peleton along part of their route. He was 93 years old.
il padrone

Postby alf » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:42 pm

Perhaps this thread should be sub-titled "The four Yorkshiremen go cycling" :D
alf

Postby Parker » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:45 pm

Bentnose wrote:

I'm 26, I race womens b grade, this is my first year out racing, sooner you start sooner you win ;)
Parker

Postby robbie72 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:35 pm

well i guess i better get into racing.
robbie72

Postby ajmit3 » Mon May 02, 2011 5:21 pm

Yeah, I'd be interested if anyone has any advice...

Raced at CCCC at few times, as a novice D grader everyone was pretty friendly and encouraging...

My question is what is SKCC like ? I'm tossing up b/t SKCC and CCCC

To those considering racing - its a fair wake up call. In D grade for one crit I averaged 35 km/hr... Which seems fast for me .... It's a big wake up call from a gentle 30 km/hr avg with your mates down beach rd. ...
ajmit3

Postby Parker » Mon May 02, 2011 6:57 pm

ajmit3 wrote:Yeah, I'd be interested if anyone has any advice...

Raced at CCCC at few times, as a novice D grader everyone was pretty friendly and encouraging...

To those considering racing - its a fair wake up call. In D grade for one crit I averaged 35 km/hr... Which seems fast for me .... It's a big wake up call from a gentle 30 km/hr avg with your mates down beach rd. ...

SKCC speed? Or SKCC in general? If your talking crits, our season is obviously over and starts up again in Summer. From memory my first race at SKCC was in E Grade with the men and we averaged 33.5, so it wasn't very quick. Women's B last time I raced averaged 35.4 and the last time I raced and crashed 35.1. But I don't think your women.
Parker

Postby ajmit3 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:02 pm

Parker wrote:
ajmit3 wrote:Yeah, I'd be interested if anyone has any advice...

SKCC speed? Or SKCC in general? If your talking crits, our season is obviously over and starts up again in Summer. From memory my first race at SKCC was in E Grade with the men and we averaged 33.5, so it wasn't very quick. Women's B last time I raced averaged 35.4 and the last time I raced and crashed 35.1. But I don't think your women.

No not a chick ha ha. Whats SKCC like in general ?
ajmit3

Postby Parker » Tue May 03, 2011 8:20 am

SKCC is rather young I guess, all the people I know are pretty cool and supportive. What's closer to home? I've heard good things about CCCC
Parker

Postby ajmit3 » Tue May 03, 2011 4:19 pm

Parker wrote:SKCC is rather young I guess, all the people I know are pretty cool and supportive. What's closer to home? I've heard good things about CCCC

CCCC seems pretty no mony balony which is good. SKCC is prob closer to home but yeah a mates in CCCC so i might go there...
ajmit3

Return to Victoria