Frankston, Vic - rider parking

il padrone

Frankston, Vic - rider parking

Postby il padrone » Sat May 28, 2011 11:00 am

From BV Forums
Ti-Rider wrote:All

the Frankston BUG is seeking your support.

The Frankston Council has this morning replaced a single car park with bike racks for 10 bikes, as part of a 1 month trial to determine if it will roll out the program to other locations in Frankston - or remove the bike parking all together. It is a case of use it or lose it.

The bike parking facility is located out the front of Rocotillos, at 36 Wells St. http://www.truelocal.com.au/business/ro ... /frankston and is approx 200m from the corner of the Nepean Highway and Wells st.

The pro car lobby in Frankston is very strong - and so the Frankston BUG is asking all cyclists in, or who visits Frankston, to use the facility - so that we can ensure that cycling in Frankston continues grow as a socially acceptable form of transport for everybody. I know it is a long struggle - particularly in Frankston - but this is one initiative that really deserves our support!

Whilst I am not associated in anyway with Rocotillos - i can tell you that it is one of only two places i would recommend for breakfast in Frankston (the other is Great Flavours in Playne St).....i really must get around to doing those reviews of cycling destinations that serve good coffee and food!......hope to see you there soon!Ti-Rider
Pic of the parking rail, in need of more usage.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

damhooligan

Re: Frankston, Vic - rider parking

Postby damhooligan » Sat May 28, 2011 1:08 pm

thanks for posting this, it's good they are trialing this.

I hope the trial wil be succesfull. 8)

(edit; evil thought, can't we just get and old clunker, and park it there permanantly, so at least it wil be used continiously ??? )
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Sat May 28, 2011 3:00 pm

The pro car lobby in Frankston is very strong

What exactly is the pro car lobby :?

zero

Postby zero » Sat May 28, 2011 3:05 pm

Outside a shopping center /supermarket will usually beat outside a cafe for location, and they look so temporary that I'd be a little dubious using them.
Its nice for the ambience of the outdoor cafe seating though, as it stops people blocking light/vision by parking an SUV there.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat May 28, 2011 3:08 pm

zero wrote:Outside a shopping center /supermarket will usually beat outside a cafe for location
Only if you can crow-bar the shoppers out of their Prados :|. Cafes are much more identifiably popular with cyclists - both roadies on a bunch run and recreational families.
Last edited by il padrone on Sat May 28, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mandatory helmet law?

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Sat May 28, 2011 3:09 pm

Don't want to be a spoilsport but that rack looks a bit silly to me. And it's so obvious it's one car space. Did it really have to be that obvious?
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat May 28, 2011 3:16 pm

Christine Tham wrote:that rack looks a bit silly to me. And it's so obvious it's one car space.
Not sure what is 'silly' about the rack :? Yes it is simple pipe tubing, but looks to be anchor bolted into the road surface. Secure enough for the setting. And the 'one car space' drives home the argument - 10+ bikes parked in the space used by one car driver :P

Trial run. Most likely it'll be upgraded if successful. Like they did in Lygon Street. One week after final completion, 47 bikes parked in about 2 or 3 car spaces.

Trial rack

Final rack and kerb outstand
Mandatory helmet law?

David_G

Postby David_G » Mon May 30, 2011 4:59 pm

The VeloCafe in Black Rock has a reserved space for bikes too, I think it's only in use on the weekends, but it's a double space and when I've been there it's chockers.
I'm a local in Frankston and will check out this one tomorrow. I've been thinking about making some sort of approach to Frankston Council about the lack of a bike lane between Carrum and here,maybe I can get some sort of petition for punters to sign at the cafe and go from there. if I was that keen I might sit on the side of the road one weekend and do a census, it would be a high figure, even without the hellride yobs.
Must remember to take the camera and get some pics with at least one bike in it :)
I just love riding my bike!

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Tue May 31, 2011 12:10 pm

David_G wrote:The VeloCafe in Black Rock has a reserved space for bikes too, I think it's only in use on the weekends, but it's a double space and when I've been there it's chockers.
I'm a local in Frankston and will check out this one tomorrow. I've been thinking about making some sort of approach to Frankston Council about the lack of a bike lane between Carrum and here,maybe I can get some sort of petition for punters to sign at the cafe and go from there. if I was that keen I might sit on the side of the road one weekend and do a census, it would be a high figure, even without the hellride yobs.
Must remember to take the camera and get some pics with at least one bike in it :)
Hi david.

For the locals , and anyone else willing to travel to frankston to support the trial,
On saturday 4th June between the hours of 9am and 10.30am the owners of Rocotillos (36 Wells St Frankston)
wil give every cyclist that orders a hot drink free pastry... 8)

http://www.bv.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22093
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

David_G

Postby David_G » Tue May 31, 2011 5:00 pm

Life got away from me today, there's always tomorrow though and Sat is locked in for my regular ride.
I just love riding my bike!