Looking for a Hill in Melb

ft_critical

Looking for a Hill in Melb

Postby ft_critical » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:07 pm

Hello all, coming to Melb for a week with my bike. I am looking for a 2km hill at about 4-7% grade within about 30min ride time of the CBD? I have lived in Melb, but nothing springs to mind. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help.

KenGS

Re: Looking for a Hill in Melb

Postby KenGS » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:57 pm

Tough ask. 2km at 4% means 80m of elevation gain and most of Melbourne is under 100m

Best bet is one of the climbs in the Alpine Tour de Suburbs at http://www.cyclingprofiles.com.au/HTM/V ... weLoop.htm
Otherwise its the 1 in 20. You can get there in 30 minutes if you ride REALLY FAST :twisted:
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:29 pm

KenGS wrote:Tough ask. 2km at 4% means 80m of elevation gain and most of Melbourne is under 100m

Best bet is one of the climbs in the Alpine Tour de Suburbs at http://www.cyclingprofiles.com.au/HTM/V ... weLoop.htm
Otherwise its the 1 in 20. You can get there in 30 minutes if you ride REALLY FAST :twisted:
That looks fine Ken, thanks. Is it relatively safe am weekdays? Any bunches that do it regularly, always the safest option on unfamiliar territory?

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:50 pm

I'm not a big fan of the roads myself but there is/was a group ride.
There is a thread at the BV forums at http://www.bv.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4082
You can find out details there
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:21 pm

KenGS wrote:I'm not a big fan of the roads myself but there is/was a group ride.
There is a thread at the BV forums at http://www.bv.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4082
You can find out details there
Thanks Ken, sounds great, I have the programme sorted for the week. Some Beach Rd intervals Monday, North Road Ride Tues, Thur the burbs ride, TFM to Sassafras on Sat morn and home to Sydney. Perfect.

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:58 pm

ft_critical wrote:Hello all, coming to Melb for a week with my bike. I am looking for a 2km hill at about 4-7% grade within about 30min ride time of the CBD? I have lived in Melb, but nothing springs to mind. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help.
How does this climb at Kinglake sound? 7.2km at 4.8%, a bit longer than you specified but meant to be a great ride.

The 1 in 20 also a bit longer at 6.75km, 4.2%.

There are plenty of climbs all listed at The Climbing Cyclist-great site!

cheers
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:48 am

Did the north road ride, the tour of the burbs and a lap to Frankston. Thanks for the tips. The Tour of the Burbs was funny. I rode down to the start per the link. There was a bike shop there so I popped in and asked where exactly the ride started from. He gave me that 'are you from outer space look.' The ride hasn’t started here for about 7 years! He explained how to get there, St Kilda to Kew. I asked if I could make it, he indicated that in 25min in Rush hour it would be an epic ride. So I dropped that proverbial hammer. I linked up with a super nice guy coming into Kew Boulevard, luckily, because I wouldn’t have found the ride start otherwise. We rode tempo to the start. It is a funny ride. Max sprint the hills then tootle along on the flats. It was explained to me that this is because of the traffic that we have to ride with. Fair enough. It was a good hard hit out though – strangely only 700m of climbing in 65k. Felt like a lot more than that. Mind you Frankston return from the city was only 300m in 90k. Melbourne is flat isn’t it.

toppity

Postby toppity » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:38 pm

just the other side of Frankston it starts going up a bit more, but not heaps, untill you get a fair bit further on. It is generally very flat though.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

treborfifty8

Postby treborfifty8 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:00 am

coffeeandwine wrote:
ft_critical wrote:Hello all, coming to Melb for a week with my bike. I am looking for a 2km hill at about 4-7% grade within about 30min ride time of the CBD? I have lived in Melb, but nothing springs to mind. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help.
How does this climb at Kinglake sound? 7.2km at 4.8%, a bit longer than you specified but meant to be a great ride.

The 1 in 20 also a bit longer at 6.75km, 4.2%.

There are plenty of climbs all listed at The Climbing Cyclist-great site!

cheers
This is a Good challenging ride just make sure you take plenty of water. The first time i rode to Kinglake i ran out before the top and the fire cfa tank is locked.
I find 3 bidons 800 ml each is sufficient for hot days