Cyclist should talk to police, says state cycling boss

Aushiker

Cyclist should talk to police, says state cycling boss

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:36 pm

Bicycle Victoria has called on the cyclist who knocked down a pedestrian in Melbourne's Bourke Street late yesterday to get in touch with police.

Don McFadyen, 62, was taken to hospital with a dislocated hip and a severe fracture of the arm above his elbow.

He was knocked down after getting off a tram in Swanston Street at 5.15pm (AEDT).

Bicycle Victoria chief executive Harry Barber said police wanted to talk to the cyclist and urged the man, believed to be in his 20s, to hand himself in.

Mr Barber believes paramedics at the scene treated both men and when the rider had recovered he got back on his bike and rode away.

"It wasn't that he knocked the pedestrian down and kept riding, he also needed treatment himself," Mr Barber told AAP.

"But when you cause an injury on the road, you have to leave your name and address - you need to hang around."

However, a spokesman for the Metropolitan Ambulance Service said paramedics' record of the incident showed that the cyclist had left the scene by the time they arrived.

Mr McFadyen's wife Jenny told Fairfax Radio Network her husband was lucky not to be more seriously injured.

"He was rather lucky, I think," Ms McFadyen said.

"The doctors said the cyclist must have been going at a fair pace because (Don) must have been thrown to be in the position he was in on the road."

Mr McFadyen remains in a stable condition in intensive care at the Royal Melbourne Hospital.

AAP

This story was found at: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2008/ ... 31481.html
Police media release is also available at http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.as ... t_ID=14484

Regards
Andrew

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:09 pm

By all accounts it was ten metres from the intersection of Bourke and Swanston, yer know walk for six seconds and you've got a signalled crossing.

While I in no way condone the riders actions in doing a bolt, I get the feeling this is a rare SMIDSY event where we aren't mourning the death of a rider. Flame me if you will for painting the injured bloke as the cause of this prang, but I know Melbourne CBD peds well.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:48 am

The cyclist should not have ridden off. What an r-sole! :evil:

Ok. This incident has stirred up lots of 'Melbourne' cyclists' discussion here :shock:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:05 pm

kukamunga wrote:The cyclist should not have ridden off. What an r-sole! :evil:

Ok. This incident has stirred up lots of 'Melbourne' cyclists' discussion
I bet it did. I believe the ped may have been in the wrong and the cyclist did all the right things. It seems initial reports where incorrect. Is that your take on it?

Andrew

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:48 pm

Cyclist left scene of accident where someone was injured without exchanging details or contacting police or ambulance, but appears to have fronted herself to police the next day.

Haven't got the time or inclination to read every article on it yet, but yes, it does appear that the 'elderly' gentleman broke a road-rule and walked into the path of a cyclist. He's lucky it wasn't a taxi, or that the cyclist wasn't injured any worse. He'll probably get a fine. The cyclist will probably get a much larger one.

Unless you have a motor vehicle licence, you may well not be aware of these laws. Maybe everyone needs formal (compulsory?) education on the laws of the road, be it motor-drivers, HPV users, horse-riders, pedestrians.....

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:58 pm

kukamunga wrote:Cyclist left scene of accident where someone was injured without exchanging details or contacting police or ambulance, but appears to have fronted herself to police the next day.
There seems to be conflicting information about this. I was led to understand last night the cyclist did leave the necessary information and the ped was not being as honest about it as he could have.

Andrew

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:09 pm

The problem is in this situation that you are dealing with the police. They are not interested in whether the cyclist has done anything wrong, they are only interested in what they can get him for.

I feel sorry for the injured bloke, but I don't blame the cyclist for leaving the scene if he knew he honestly had not caused the collision.

Last August I was intentionally run down by a motorist for the second time. The investigating officer cunningly trapped me in a play on words and drew the longest bow in history to fine me for failing to give way. This is a load of crap. The driver of the car has been charged and convicted. As recently as 2 weeks ago this gutter snipe was on the phone to me talking me round in circle trying to get me to admit the a door that was repeatedly openned in to me whist I sat up dazed in the middle of the road had been kicked in by me.

If this cyclist could honestly look himself in the eye and say it was no fault of his own, then I say good luck to him and may the gutless cowards of the local constabulary never find him and may he never be subjected to their lies.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:51 pm

It was a she ... :)

Andrew

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:31 pm

Aushiker wrote:There seems to be conflicting information about this. I was led to understand last night the cyclist did leave the necessary information and the ped was not being as honest about it as he could have.

Andrew
What's the story mate? I'll need ammo for a letter to the Feral Hun, with the new laws coming in right after this incident, we gotta try puttin' our side...... HANG ON! What's the bet the Govt has had this bill ready to go since five minutes after the Hell Ride death last year and was waiting for another incident so it could surf the wave of manufactured public outrage into law unopposed and barely debated? It's been done before...

MG, I totally understand where yer coming from, these days we're always at fault in plods sick and twisted, but doing a runner is promoted as a sure sign of guilt these days and evidence will be manufactured or fudged as necessary to prove it. :roll: :evil: Don't make it right tho'

Shaun

Maybe I should light the video cam in me phone at the corner of Little bourke and Spencer in the morning.....
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:40 pm

Mulger bill wrote:What's the story mate? .
Hi Shaun

This is what I was told, however, I do have concerns about the source of this information and in particular no references where given. Use as you see fit.
The victim, (the rider) swapped details with the man who ran into her, she stated to him she would see the Police and report the incident. He mislead the police who later arrived at the scene as to that fact, and what happened, but other witnessed have cleared that up and she had his details. It now appears the man will be charged with J Walking and possibly other charges on misleading Police in the conduct of their duty.

Admittedly it is a messy matter, and no one condones people leaving the scene of a road traffic incident where injuries are sustained without due cause or complying with the letter of the law. This was not a hit run, the rider did not immediately rush off, she in fact was treated and comforted by passers by and therefore did not leave the scene of an accident without stopping to ensure others involved where OK and swap details. There was no Police officers present and was entitled to report the matter as soon as possible, which was done.
Andrew

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:42 pm

Thanks for that Andrew, sounds good but if it's unverifiable...

Oddly enough the Feral was quiet today about it editorially, opinion online looked like a cut and paste from the last "Outrage At Blah blah...." hmmm.

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:50 am

From BV Forums discussion: "Accident compensation when no vehicle is involved"
easy rider wrote:I had an accident the other day on my way to work, a jay-walker stepped out in front of me in the CBD and I avoided her but in doing so went over my handle bars and broke my clavicle and radius.

Since a motor vehicle wasn't involved I don't think I'll be able to claim compensation from the TAC for not being able to work (right handed and broke right side). The pedestrian did a runner so I don't have their details.

My question is; Is there any way I can claim compensation for my loss of earnings and hospital/recovery expenses.

Any help will be appreciated.
A straight out ped hit & run! :evil:

Will the Feral Hun report this one???? :roll:

kukamunga

Re: Cyclist should talk to police, says state cycling boss

Postby kukamunga » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:25 am

Strydz

Re: Cyclist should talk to police, says state cycling boss

Postby Strydz » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:55 pm

Why is this posted here?
1983-Batavus Professional-Reynolds 531c
1990-Flanders-Columbus SLX