Route from Sunbury to Fairfield?

Route from Sunbury to Fairfield?

Postby ausrandoman » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:48 pm

I used to live in Melbourne, more 25 years ago. It seems that a lot of the roads I would have taken back then have become highways, freeways or choked with traffic. On the other hand, there are a lot more bike paths.

So ... can anyone suggest a route to ride from Sunbury to Fairfield?
Last edited by ausrandoman on Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody younger than <del>27</del> 28 has experienced a month cooler than the 20th century average.
ausrandoman

by BNA » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:53 pm

BNA

Re: Route from Sunbury to Fairfield?

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:53 pm

Only reasonably safe way out of SBY is via Vineyard Rd and the Calder freeway to Sunshine Ave where you'll have to leave the freeway. Sunbury Rd via Bulla, passing the airport is nightmarish with narrow lanes, high speed and horrible shoulders for most of its length. The climb out of the creek valley approaching Bulla will scare eight shades of brown out of you. NO room to evade or escape if someone wants a piece of you.

I'd suggest Sunshine Ave to Keilor-Melton Rd/Old Calder highway to Milleara Rd, Canning St which goes through various name changes before ending up in the Fairfield area. NOTE that I haven't ridden the Old Calder/Milleara for ~6 years, things are very likely to have changed since.

Best coffee in town is to be found at the Jolly Miller in Brook St, near the east side of the station (when Matt is pulling the shots).

Hope this helps
Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Route from Sunbury to Fairfield?

Postby ausrandoman » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:09 am

Thanks, Mulger Bill. I'm off to Google maps to put your suggestion together.

I used to ride along Bulla Road, but it was on my threshold of fear even then.
ausrandoman

Return to Victoria