2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

yarravalleyplodder

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:22 pm

Well I completed the 250 in 8:30 moving time. Elapsed time was a massive 12:15 due to waiting at queenscliff for 1hr 45min :shock: I arrived at queenscliff at 11:15 and just missed the 12 ferry and had to wait for the 1pm ferry. It meant by the time I hit sorrento I had sat on my but for 2hr 45min.

Anyway, it was hard slog in sections with wind and sand blasting but I maintained a 28km/h av, did the melb to queenscliff in 5 hours and sorrento to melb in 3hrs 30min which is not bad considering

Apart from the ferry wait I enjoyed the day. I am not sure I would do the 250km next year so I can get to queenscliff as early as possible and get the first of second ferry. Not sure I could only do "down one side of the bay" to avoid the ferry all together :)

so months of training is done, I completed my first half marathon last week and completed my longets day in gthe saddle yesterday. Time for a week off and work out what next, well apart from the easlink but thats just 35km with my dad, so thats nothing I cant handle 8)

congrats to everyone who rode yesterday and a big thanks to BV and all the volunteers. Only suggestion for next year, not such a long wait on the ferry, maybe ban cars for the day :lol:
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:45 pm

Congrats YVP...getting going after sitting for that long must have been hard work.
When I arrived at Sorrento I ate my lunch, did a few quick stretches and then got back on the bike and headed back.
That's one thing that turns me off the ferry crossing, though next year I'll probably get in early for the MQSM 210.

Maybe they should start the event in Queenscliff or Sorrento and you ride around to the other side, then catch the ferry back across to your car (and perhaps also have buses back the the CBD) That way it wouldn't matter if you were delayed waiting for a ferry/bus and if they held the BUPA festival at least you'd have something to do whilst you wait for the ferry.

Nice ave speed and wasn't that wind between Frankston and the finish such hard work!?!

I'm not sure what to do on the bike now. All my focus for the past few months has been putting in the km's for yesterdays event.
I guess I'll just continue to do the same in preparation for the many 2013 events on offer (of which I'd like to participate in several next year), now the bug has well and truly bitten me :-)

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:12 pm

No need to wait till next year Dave, there's at least 3 events coming up in November (Hanover Eastlink, Bass Coast challenge, River & Ranges).

As for the ferry, from everything I've read, I guess I was exceedingly lucky - only a 15 minute wait. I started toward the back of group 3, at about 6:45 or so, and made it to Sorrento at 10:15, just snuck on the 10:30 ferry. Next year I'll be aiming for group 2 (30-34 k/h avg) and hopefully get myself closer to the front (actually there was quite a bit of queue-jumping going on, but I was trying to be good...).

Semar

Postby Semar » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:50 pm

I've signed up for this http://www.7peaks.com.au/ over the next 6 months. Might have a go at the Alpine Challenge too.

For Falls, Hotham and Buffalo rides I'll camp at Wandiligong. Beautiful and quiet spot.

And there are plenty of recreational ride options here too http://cyclingprofiles.com.au/

I recon we should pinch the TDU and show off our vastly more appealing riding terrain. :twisted:
It’s more like our thoughts are thinking us than we are thinking them.

pauls51

Postby pauls51 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:58 pm

Firstly, congrats to all who completed the ride!!!

Pretty good day out... On Saturday arvo I had everything ready, lights and garmin was charged, the numberplate was on and the bike was loaded into the car. I had opted to buy several Endura gels to try out on the ride and being curious about the grape flavour, I decided to give one a try at around 1730 (and not bad at all!!!). Anyway, I had dinner at around 1930 and was in bed by 2100 and thats when I realised I shouldn't have had one of those gels. With a mixture of anxiety and caffeine from the Gel I ended up not falling asleep until 1230am!!!

This year I opted for my first 250, so that meant a slightly earlier start. It took a while to get going but once on geelong road the k's started clocking up. The group I rode with stopped at Geelong for a quick stretch some food and fluids before detouring to Queenscliff via Port Arlington. The wind heading from St Leonards back onto Queenscliff rd was shocking ( at that point in time I didn't realise what I was in for later in the arvo!!!) and that took a massive chunk out of my avg speed :( .
Back onto Queenscliff road and boy was I relieved until I reached about 10k from the ferry; I felt the front end start tram tracking and veering and straight away thought great, there goes at least half an hour on the side of the road. Being only 10ks away I thought i'd perservere and ride the remaing km's solo as there was still a bit of air left in the tyres (probably just enough to avoid damaging the rim). After a hairy ride into Queenscliff I changed over the tube and used the mechanical stand (rapido cycles, i think it was) to put some air into the tyres and was good to go! - this weekend im buying the cartridges!

Had a 30 minute wait for the 12pm ferry and was lucky to be one of the last few people able to board (they must have overbooked it!!). Headed out from Sorrento in a light shower and eating the rooster tails from my mate before the roads dried up and realised we were flying along. Next stop was Dromana for a quick bite and stretching before the lumpy section of the ride. Again from Dromana to Frankston was another fairly quick stint. By this stage the wind had well and truly picked up and as soon as we hit Moordialloc we felt it!!! By Black Rock I could fell my knee starting to give in (It was hurting when I was taking off, but once moving I was fine) and hated stopping at the red lights, but we continued to grind along and made it to the finish line!!!

Was fairly satisfied with the result of 8hr17m for the 250km, given that I had been off the bike for quite some time before getting into training again, but the main thing was that I enjoyed it!!!.

I agree with you YVP next year i'm sticking to the MSM ride and skipping the ferry altogether. Once on the ferry there isn't really much room to stretch and if you have to wait an hour plus to get back on the saddle, it takes a bit to get warmed up again, especially if it is cold and raining.

Many thanks to BV for a successfully edition of the 20th year of ATB and the volunteers especially the mechanics tent... It would have taken me at least half and hour to get my tyre pumped up to a decent enough pressure with my hand pump!

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:59 pm

Semar wrote:
I recon we should pinch the TDU and show off our vastly more appealing riding terrain. :twisted:
Yep, let's give them the High Country ... where's Jeff Kennett when you actually need him? :smile:

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:05 pm

BTW, been checking out the times at http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/aroundthebay/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - if anything the MQSM ferry situation looks to be worse than the reverse - lots of 2+ hour waits, and the slowest guy took nearly 15 hours total...eek!

The sorting is off, but you can figure your way around it.
The fastest legit time for MSQM seems to be

1010433 POMIE, Olivier WARRANDYTE SOUTH Metro 0h44:42 6h21:54 7h06:37

and for the reverse

995446 TAYLOR, John NEWBOROUGH TRUenergy 1h30:26 6h13:50 7h44:17

Which if it really is just 210km would be an average of only 33.7. Like I said, I suspect it was actually closer to 220, and hence 35.3 average, which is still a bit slower than I'd thought the fastest riders would be able to do it at (considering there's a whole group of supposed '35+' riders!)

EDIT: realised of course that's because the "riding time" measured is just total time minus ferry time, and doesn't include other stops. Realistically their actual rolling times were at least 30 minutes less, so it's possible they averaged as high as 38.
Last edited by wizdofaus on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:11 pm

One other question I had - how many stops did people take? I skipped Mordy and the "middle of nowhere" BP between Geelong and Werribee, but I needed all the others to at least refill (only had the one water bottle) and ensure I got through all my food. Bit surprised the total time I spent in stops on the way back was so long (going by the difference between computer's rolling time and actual time - added up to a full half hour), but I guess a fair bit of it was traffic lights.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:35 pm

Elapsed time (minus ferry, which you can't control ...) is the only one that counts .... if you're counting. :wink:

We did the much shorter S-M100 but only 'stopped' once, for about 3 mins, at Mordy to top up the bottle. I reckon we beat quite a few 'faster' riders home. :)

Not that it's a race or anything ..... :| :lol:
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:42 pm

well I just checked my times and I spent 2 hours & 33 minutes waiting for and sitting on the blasted ferry :evil:

I was on the road for 12 hours and 10 minutes

I heard about queue jumping and I think if I am faced with the same sort of wait again I will be trying to do that, it really did make it tough to start up again.

Not sure if a MSM run is the same, kinda feel like the ferry is part of it, you know around the bay, not one side of the bay 8) but it did drive me nuts

Thanks Dave and congrats to yourself. I saw plenty of Felts out there, probably 15 to 20, no F75's though

I am thinking of the MQSM 210km next year and really drive for Queenscliff knowing you get an hour's rest at least. I will also put myself in the 30-35km/h group as I averaged that easy on the flats
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

rednaxela

Postby rednaxela » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:56 pm

The ferry wait times is exactly why I ride the 135 Km only (plus I live in Hoppers Crossing). The 6 am start from Geelong gets you in early at Queenscliff for the 7 am (if you are quick) or the 7:30 ferry (I think this is an extra ferry organised solely by BV). If all else fails, you have the 8:00 am ferry so by 9 am you are on the other side, ready to rock and roll. The good thing too is 'coz you are in the early batch, the ferry is not crowded. Plus the winds do not pick up that early. Had my top speed of 52.8 kph on one of the hill descents from Leopold (tail wind assisted, of course!)
Overall, a good day except for the wind (and sand) at Port Melbourne.

drcolossus1

Postby drcolossus1 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:01 pm

Damn, just checked the official results and I'm not there :cry:

My number plate broke off in the truck that transported the bikes to Sorrento (I know, I shouldn't have attached it until after :roll: ). Anyway, held it out when I started then put it in my back pocket. Totally forgot about it at the finish but obviously didn't register.

I was so proud that a big guy like me could do 100km averaging 30km/hr. Next year! :x

Btw, top speed of 75km/hr. The one and only benefit of being big :lol:

Semar

Postby Semar » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:25 pm

My number stayed on and my results still haven't been displayed. :cry:

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:29 pm

The amount of near crashes were quite frightening for a first timer like me.

Get up on the westgate, Already ambo's & police lifting a guy into an ambulance, Guy infront of the partner beside me slams on brakes and my partner nearly crashes into the back of him.

Did anyone else almost hit those 2 signs on the westgate? I swear i just shaved the side of them. Also going over random cateyes was a bit scary while drinking out of a bottle.
Going along beaconsfield pde it was so windy i had to back off because i probable would have hit another guy (im 50kg)

And at the finish, we rode side by side as a team, Bumping handlebars and almost crashing over the mat :D

Other than that, great ride and I hope i'll be back there next year

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:31 pm

yarravalleyplodder wrote:I saw plenty of Felts out there, probably 15 to 20, no F75's though
Would you believe I didn't see any....

Though I did have several people eyeing off my bike when stopped at the lights.

I originally had the same thought about the ATB being a ride around both sides of the bay but for my first time I decided it might be best to take the ferry issues out of the equation.
I still think the MSM is a great route but next year I'll try my luck at a ferry crossing and see how it all goes....and maybe even try the 250.

Dave

drnick79

Postby drnick79 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:42 pm

wizdofaus wrote:995446 TAYLOR, John NEWBOROUGH TRUenergy 1h30:26 6h13:50 7h44:17
Local guy to me, rode with him last Sunday. Great time looking at his Strava logs considering the wind.

S
Rides
Giant TCR Advanced SL0
Jamis Dakota D29 Pro

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:54 pm

drcolossus1 wrote:Btw, top speed of 75km/hr. The one and only benefit of being big :lol:
Newton would argue otherwise...really it's the surface area to weight ratio that matters, and of course body position and tire friction.
I was surprised quite a few times to find myself rolling faster than other guys on road bikes with slicks - guess it's body position?

drcolossus1

Postby drcolossus1 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:09 pm

wizdofaus wrote:
drcolossus1 wrote:Btw, top speed of 75km/hr. The one and only benefit of being big :lol:
Newton would argue otherwise...really it's the surface area to weight ratio that matters, and of course body position and tire friction.
I was surprised quite a few times to find myself rolling faster than other guys on road bikes with slicks - guess it's body position?
Then my fat arse must position itself very well on the bike :lol:

drnick79

Postby drnick79 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:14 pm

LOL, sames.. I was riding with a couple of mates that I have 15kg on and yeah when I was leading I roll off them on the down hills. When I was behind them on the down hills I was sitting on the brakes a bit.

S
Rides
Giant TCR Advanced SL0
Jamis Dakota D29 Pro

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:23 pm

I had a great day out, my first attempt. Went for the 210 MQFSM.
As everyone else has said, ferry was a bummer, I had 2hrs 8 minutes "stopped time" between arriving at Queenscliff, and stepping off the ferry at Sorrento.
Highlights:
Geelong - Queenscliff. Perfect weather, felt fresh, passed a few bunches, kept up with a few faster riders than me.
My mate waitingfor me at Sorrento after being on the ferry an hour earlier than mine.
Same mates wife & kids yelling and waving us past at Mt Martha.
Sorrento - Dromana. Wind just right, after being pepped up by my mate waiting, felt fantastic again.
Food at Queenscliff, best sandwich ever!
Prickly moses beer & can of tuna at the finish :)

Lowlights:
Puncture at 28km. Lost all momentum, and had bunches of later start-time packs go past while I was fixing. Took ages to get thru them, and consequently meant most of Werribee - Geelong was solo (and on a rear tyre at around 60psi)
Crosswind on Beacy parade. Ouch. Sand blasted face, swerving over the road.
After saying to my mate at around 150km "I actually feel surprisingly good", about 10km later... sore feet, headwind, sore back etc, not feeling as good for the last 40km.

Fantastic event. Huge thanks to the organisers, volunteers, and 17000 other cyclists who made it amazing.

My ride time (according to my old skool bike computer) was 7hrs 37 minutes. Elapsed time according to times on Bike Exchange 10hrs 11 minutes. I stopped for my puncture, then briefly at the Werribee & Little River stops to look for a floor pump. Stopped at Geelong for bathroom, banana & floor pump. Then after the ferry, no stopping up the other side, except for 5 min while my mate cramped.

I'll definitely be back next year, and have a crack at 250.
Congrats to all who completed, and thanks for the enjoyable stories on this thread!
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels"

Semar

Postby Semar » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:46 pm

drnick79 wrote:LOL, sames.. I was riding with a couple of mates that I have 15kg on and yeah when I was leading I roll off them on the down hills. When I was behind them on the down hills I was sitting on the brakes a bit.

S
I noticed that I was cruising past riders who clearly carried a bit extra - ceramic hubs really do roll better. :D

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:09 pm

I had to feather my rear brake on most descents as I kept catching the riders in front of me (even when sitting up and moving out if their slipstream).
I even got one funny look from a guy who was sitting beside me, down in his drops and I was sitting up holding onto the hoods and moved across and out of the slipstream and stopped feathering my brake and rolled straight past the guy in front of me (who was squat right down into an aero position) and without pedaling I shot straight past him. The guy who had been riding beside me must have wondered how I passed him without pedaling.

I don't have ceramic bearings (only cheap Mavic CXP22's) so it must be the special aerodynamic paint they spray on all Felt bikes...LOL 8)

Dave

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:48 pm

Hey Dave, that paint is really good because I fly past people going down hill, even on their fancy carbon bikes :D I am guessing it has nothing to do with my 110kg frame :D

I didnt bother feathering the brakes, I just moved out & passed them 8)

I went faster than the cars going down that last hill just before the frankston rest stop :twisted:

It was naughty and looking at my garmin I was doing 63.4km and using the whole left lane, I am a bad man.................... but in my defence it was a lot of fun :twisted:
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

Endo

Postby Endo » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:51 pm

DoogleDave wrote:I had to feather my rear brake on most descents as I kept catching the riders in front of me (even when sitting up and moving out if their slipstream).
I even got one funny look from a guy who was sitting beside me, down in his drops and I was sitting up holding onto the hoods and moved across and out of the slipstream and stopped feathering my brake and rolled straight past the guy in front of me (who was squat right down into an aero position) and without pedaling I shot straight past him. The guy who had been riding beside me must have wondered how I passed him without pedaling.

I don't have ceramic bearings (only cheap Mavic CXP22's) so it must be the special aerodynamic paint they spray on all Felt bikes...LOL 8)

Dave
Hah, I had the same 'problem', Dave - somewhere after Mt Marta, I was descending behind another rider and coming up to a corner (a left bend, I think), got tired of feathering the brake, so I pulled out of his slipstream and stood up off my saddle to 'aero-brake'... still needed to feather some rear brake though :) A guy on a RaboBank Giant over took me, but I left him as soon as the road pointed up :)

Endo

Postby Endo » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:53 pm

yarravalleyplodder wrote:Hey Dave, that paint is really good because I fly past people going down hill, even on their fancy carbon bikes :D I am guessing it has nothing to do with my 110kg frame :D

I didnt bother feathering the brakes, I just moved out & passed them 8)

I went faster than the cars going down that last hill just before the frankston rest stop :twisted:

It was naughty and looking at my garmin I was doing 63.4km and using the whole left lane, I am a bad man.................... but in my defence it was a lot of fun :twisted:
Nice Vmax - was that on 'Olivers Drop'?