2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

yarravalleyplodder

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:20 pm

Well another weekend approaches so another weekend of riding :D

I must say I have not done a lot thhis week, last weekends 203km really took it out of me. I went for a run on wednesday and the legs were heavy so I have taken it easy but thats over now

Tomorrow is the usual 62km ride to forest hill and back and sunday I plan to do the 1:20 and the wall to skyhigh and then into my saturady route via croydon hills & north, ringwood, map my ride tells me its 111km. Sunday is my last chance for a big ride before the ABD and I also have to fit some 15km to 18km runs in for my half marathon on the 14th.

anyway I hope everyone has a good weekend riding :)
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:52 pm

Good stuff YVP. The weather is supposed to be pretty good tomorrow (sunny and 23 degC).

I'm off at 12pm for a 75km ride with a few local club members and may even extend it a little further if time permits.
Hopefully I get a chance on Sunday to do a couple of laps of my local 40km circuit as well.
I might even get out there in my 2012 Bupa ATB jersey, which I'm happy to say fits really well (I'm so glad I chose size L instead of XL).

Next Sunday (30/09) is our club's 120km ATB training ride so I'm really looking forward to that (and can hopefully ride there and back as well to make it a 160km ride for the day).

I also made it to Evelyn Faye's in the CBD during the week and picked up some various energy bars and gels so I can try them out and see which one's i like best before the ATB ride.

Happy riding to all who get out and continue their training this weekend!

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

vaxwell

Postby vaxwell » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:20 pm

kimmie wrote:Howdy vaxwell...
Fine by me... :-) I will PM you ahead in case I am heading that route again in the coming weekends...
Cheers
Ben
Sounds Great! :)

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:21 pm

good work Dave

I would be interested in what gels you like, I am quite partial to the endura raspberry gels, the winners blackberry and apple energy bars and the assent choc mint protein bars. I have also discovered the Gu Brew tabs, they give your water a bit of fizz, lemon lime flavour and electrolytes.

Have fun on your club ride

part 1 of the weekend went well and it was really pleasant out there apart from a couple of magpies :evil: I would really like to be armed and take then down, but I am sure there are a number of laws prohibiting me from doing that 8)
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:40 pm

I did 125k ride yesterday with the wheels I'll be doing atb on.. Was pumping some high cadence :)
Did it in 4h12mins with the aid of a high 5 Isogel, rice cake (homemade) & powerbar performance bar

Could of gone longer to but was a little short on time :(

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:08 pm

Great stuff jamesn184

I also wish I had more time today but my wife works on saturday so I have a strict curfew

I get more time tomorrow but the weather is not looking as nice as today :(
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:50 pm

Yeah I wish I had the weather like this yesterday

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:50 pm

Oh nooo I went to finish off my bike and just found out my right hand shifter is faulty. I have had some awesome support from the forum so I should be able to make sure the prolite is all up and going (and that I have some good training on the bike) before the big day.
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:34 pm

OK I woke up today and my riding mojo just wasnt there. I almost didnt bother going out but I did and within the first 50 metres I knew a double climb wasnt going to happen.

So I set off on a new route, well an old route actually, but I just pedaled along. I still went up a few small little climbs and then I decided I wanted to see how fast I could descend down Boronia rd and I topped 72km/h. I got to the bottom of the hill and looked up & I could see Mt Dandenong, so in the end I did to a ride up the 1:20, my second best actually. Halfway up I decided I would descend the 1:20 for the first time so I got up the top, caught my breath and turned around. I must say the descent was fun, I think I prefer the descent into montrose but as I said it was fun.

I then went back into bayswater and then my usual way home. In the end I did 77km and 1142m of climbing and feeling stuffed. In the last week I have ridden 340km and done 3731m of climbing so I think I am ready for the ABD :)
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:36 pm

yarravalleyplodder wrote: I would be interested in what gels you like, I am quite partial to the endura raspberry gels, the winners blackberry and apple energy bars and the assent choc mint protein bars. I have also discovered the Gu Brew tabs, they give your water a bit of fizz, lemon lime flavour and electrolytes.
I tried the Endure Raspberry gel yesterday during the 70km club ride and I thought it was pretty good. A little sweet but certainly paletable.
I also have an Endure Grape flavour and also a Shotz Wildberry gel yet to try.

I also tried a Growling Dog (Chocolate) energy bar yesterday and would give it a 5/10. It was SO dense and chewy and half resembled a muffin bar in texture.
The taste wasn't too bad but I found it a bit too chewy and not easy to eat - and the bar is huge so I ate it in three goes along the 70km ride.
I still have another Growling Dog bar (Berry I think it is) to try so I'll see how that one goes.

Today's ride was 50km's in that beautiful 30+km/h westerly wind and I had a Winners Cadel bar (mountain mix) and really enjoyed it.
Quite moist, very easy to eat and the taste was 9/10. Will most certainly be buying these again - and they are the cheapest bars.
Evelyn Faye had them for $1.90ea and Woolies/Safeway had them on special last Friday night for $2 ea.

I still have an Endura Energy bar (chocolate) and a Winners Cadel bar (Apple Berry) yet to try but I'm sure I'll go through a few of these during next Sunday's 120km training ride.

Dave

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:43 pm

Hi Dave,
You almost need 1 litre of water to wash those growling dog bars down, thats why I prefer the assent bars, still chewy but you definitely dont need to put the same effort in getting them down. I am a big sweet tooth, thats why I love the raspberry endura and I love the apple berry cadel bars, I could eat them every day :D
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:05 pm

Try the powerbar performance bar's they are easy to eat and don't require a lot of water afterwards..

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:29 pm

I just purchased the Clif bars and they are pretty tasty.....

Had one today on my ride in the wind & rain today......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:44 pm

Went 140km on Saturday... My longest run after last week's Sunday 105km with YVP. Went the same route from Ringwood to Frankston via Eastlink - Cheltenham Rd - Springvale Rd - Edithvale - Nepean Hwy, then from Frankston to Port Melbourne via Beach Rd, then Sandridge Rail Trail to South Melbourne - Gardiners Creek - Burwood Hwy - Station St - Canterbury Rd - Eastlink - back to Ringwood. The ride was great, and the weather was superb. Heaps of shattered glasses on Cheltenham Rd unfortunately... Looks like someone thrown something flat made of glass (not a bottle) to the side of the road, and unfortunately unto the bike path.

YVP: you were once told me about the descent in Canterbury Rd after Vermont, you were right. It was fun (and a bit scary I have to admit)... Clocked 57kph there... Could have been sixty-ish but I am too afraid not to hit my brake. I think I am now ready for ABD too... But was glad I did not sign up for the 210km as I would need longer time to prep for that.

Vaxwell: Sorry I didn't inform you about the ride, but was not plan to go that far.. I was just about to ride around Ringwood, but suddenly had that idea to retrace my training with YVP last Sunday.
"Ride like the wind, Bullseye!"

vaxwell

Postby vaxwell » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:13 pm

kimmie wrote:Vaxwell: Sorry I didn't inform you about the ride...
Hey, that's fine! I was in Kew doing a few laps of the boulevard, anyway. There was a women's skills session put on my cycling australia before that, so I had a great old time. I only ended up with 55km or so, but got a good 1000m of climbing in! :) I've not really have much chance to ride recently. :cry:

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:46 pm

Well done Kimmie, your racking up the k's now. You should give some hills a shot, you will be surprised on how much that helps the power & speed on the flats
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:13 pm

Knocked out a 113km ATB training ride with my local cycling club this morning - bringing my total distance for September to 1004 km's.
I am very happy with that effort!

I never thought I'd ever ride that distance within a month, and all the km's have really made a difference.
Riding up several hills today I felt great and didn't struggle once (and didn't have to drop to my lowest gear - for a change).

Thankfully the weather held out for us and there was a fair bit of sun which was nice (but a cool 30km/h SW wind to contend with at the back end of the ride).
During the ride I consumed an Endura Chocolate energy bar (was really nice) and at the 60km mark we stopped for a coffee and I had a Nutella sandwich (and finished off the Endura bar). Further on during the ride I consumed a Cadel (mountain mix) bar and an Endura gel (grape) which really hit the spot with about 15km's to go.
Also went through just over 3 bidons of water - which I'd like to try and up (I need to try and remember to drink more often), but I finished the ride feeling strong which is a positive and have no major aches or pains to speak of.

Looking forward to the event now and even though it's going to be a really long day and a huge effort (for me) I don't think I could have realistically prepared any more than what I have done. My plan is to concentrate on keeping to a steady pace and not go out too hard early. Join onto groups that are going the pace I want to go and if they speed up too much I'll jump off the back and resume a comfortable pace.

Now it's time to book the bike in for a well-earned service and then keep up the km's until the event.

Dave

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:23 pm

Great stuff Dave. Sounds like your all sorted for the ABD and your eating plan is also sorted :D

Great stuff also 1000km for the month, thats a sensational effort.

Well life and weather has conspired against me as I haven't been out on the bike this week. I have managed to get 3 runs in and I did 15km yesterday in 1:30 so I am happy with my progress for the half marathon. This time in 2 weeks I would have competed in my first half and this time in 3 weeks I hope I have finished my first 250km ride

good luck with your training this week :)
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:17 pm

Thanks YVP.

I thought I was doing OK training for the ATB ride but training for a half marathon at the same time is something else again.
I wish I could run but I was only ever good at the short distance races (100-200m). Any distance that was measured in km's my body refused to play and I slowed to a crawl (or slower).

Hopefully you find time to get out on the bike again this week and good luck with your training (both bike and running).

Dave

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:55 am

I did a miserable 60km ride on Friday in high gusty winds and rain.....but it was to meet the Tour de Kids Plus charity riders who were on the last leg of their Adelaide to Geelong ride (850km in 6 days and $12000 raised !).

Bad weather prevented any riding on Saturday - totally random gusty winds and showers all day.....

Sunday - rode for 4 hours, 109 km..... W to SW'ly 25 - 35kph winds....

2 litres of water consumed, 2 SIS bars, 3 Hammer tablets, 1 Endurance Gel.....

Feel good today so might do an 80km ride today as I have a PDO......

snark

Postby snark » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:24 am

Riggsbie wrote:... 3 Hammer tablets ...
Not all at the same time I hope! Your mouth would still be stuck together.

Cheers,
Simon.
Phil Liggett, TdF 2011, Alpe-d'Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow."

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:07 am

Hey all,
I noticed a few have received their jersey/riders kit but unfortunately mine hadn't arrived yet. I signed up on the 13th of August.

I rang up Bicycle Network and they told me it was an issue on their system and that I would need to pop down on the 19th to pick up the jersey/riders kit.

What a pity :(

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:23 am

The Hammer tablets do get rather gloopy....

And taste a bit floury....

Yummy!

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:38 am

Riggsbie wrote:The Hammer tablets do get rather gloopy....

And taste a bit floury....

Yummy!

For some reason I think those Hammer Tablets would be the size of Horse Tablets haha

They seem cheap enough to try out

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:31 pm

Just did a 80k ride with my Dad and his friend this morning, Seriously wondering how i'm going to do the 210 :(.

All i had was 1 fruit bar so i think i should eat a bit more on the rides.

I think it took us almost three hours as there were hills involved.