2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

kimmie

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby kimmie » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:21 pm

Still bit nervous... Went for my last train today... Ringwood to Cheltenham Rd returns... 60km...

All the best for tomorrow guys... Take care.
"Ride like the wind, Bullseye!"

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:40 am

Safe and happy riding everyone!
Hope you have an amazing day today.

Here we go....

Dave :D
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:59 am

Good luck all have an enjoyable and safe ride. Just had breakfast and out the door soon
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

clackers

Postby clackers » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:43 am

11.00 ferry has too many vehicles, so we have to wait for the 12.00.

Ah, First World problems!

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:27 pm

Wow that was absolutely awesome. What a fantastic day that was.

I had spent most of the morning in the bathroom haha, was sooooo nervous. The start was good and I didn't fall once lmao

I ended up clocking the 100km MFM in 4hours:08minutes which was fantastic. I had the best fun ever.

I noticed there were a few camera men snapping shots (I was at the start of my heat leaving) and I might have been in one lol
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

Patches

Postby Patches » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:04 pm

Finished the 100km melb-frankston-melb in about 3:40, it was awesome :) We were aiming for 4:00 and none of us had ridden over 80km or so for a year at least so it was a fantastic result.
Jumped on with a very fast group (36km/h ish) for the run in from Mordialloc which was much appreciated. Hope everyone else had a great time!

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:11 pm

Patches wrote:Finished the 100km melb-frankston-melb in about 3:40, it was awesome :) We were aiming for 4:00 and none of us had ridden over 80km or so for a year at least so it was a fantastic result.
Jumped on with a very fast group (36km/h ish) for the run in from Mordialloc which was much appreciated. Hope everyone else had a great time!
Wow thats an extremely impressive result well done. :)

It was an awesome feeling coming up to the finishing line, everyone was looking and I wasn't used to that sort of "star" attention hahaha. I have to admit that I was pretty exhausted about 10km from home, i had something like 10 honey shots but seemed to have forgot to bring some trail musli bars with me.

There were a few riders down, one of which was one of the teams on one of the bridges. It was sad hearing the ambulance heading one direction, it was likely to be for someone on the bike.
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

ridin and drivin

Postby ridin and drivin » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:23 pm

Ok guys. I'm missed the ride this year. Great day for it- Hope you all had a great ride. I'm not really a contributor to forums but I was compelled to write today after driving (at 30km p/h on on the middle lane of City road) I'm MOST HAPPY to drive slowly, and respect other road users..BUT PLEASE whoever it was that ducked out of the left lane that cars had left empty for the riders, straight in front of me (to the centre of the lane I was in) to get around the pack, you are doing NOTHING to help the frustrations felt by those in cars. Luckily I was only doing 30km p/h as I only just missed this female rider even after slamming my brakes on.
I will always ride on the inside lane on beach road. I've been cycling down there close to the curb and narrowly avoided being hit myself. As cyclists we MUST respect the rights of cars to use the roads, as we expect them to respect ours. As a driver I was left quite shaken this morning (imagine if I hadn't be able to stop!) and could have easily caused an accident if a car had been close behind me. Cars will give the riders a lane - but don't take more than your share.

blatant

Postby blatant » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:59 pm

Well, just like in running, cycling in a group really makes you push harder!
My longest training ride was 100km in 4hrs, today the 210 took me 7:52. I got to Sorrento and my pace was 28km/h, then my garmin decided to play up and it didn't track about 50km of the trip, not to worry though I guess there were a ton of GPS devices hammering the sattelites today.
I'm pleased with the result given it's off the back of the Marathon last week.
Thankfully it didnt rain which is lucky because I never got any rain jacket in the end.
Good day, well done everyone!

drnick79

Postby drnick79 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:33 pm

3:38 for me M > F > M - http://app.strava.com/rides/25625263#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could have gone a little quicker as I was on the brakes a fair bit. Lots of fun, madness with all the riders at times!! Was good when it was flowing and not stop start with the lights.

Hehehe adrian_d, I needed a wizz just before the start and had to hold on for the first stop!!!

That wind was fun to say the least, looks like it was/is a bit wet early arvo>now!

Also happy with the time as I had a big day of golf yesterday, lots of beeeeers and only 4 hours sleep.

S
Last edited by drnick79 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rides
Giant TCR Advanced SL0
Jamis Dakota D29 Pro

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:34 pm

What a great ride! Ican see why so many people get out there and participate.

I managed to get from Alexandra Gardens to Sorrento in 3 hrs 30 mins (moving time) and back to Alexandra Gardens for a total moving time of 7 hrs 4 mins (8 hrs 22 mins Elapsed time) - ave speed of 27.6 km/h.
As I was on my own I jumped onto packs as they rode past and if they slowed too much I passed them and caught up to the next pack - which seemed to work fine (but it would have been even more fun riding with friends - perhaps next year).

That 45+ km/h westerly on the way back through St Kilda was a killer...and the only downside to the entire day was the tack puncture coming back (just before Mornington), going 50km/h downhill. Thankfully it was my rear tyre so I was able to safely come to a stop, pull off to the side and change my tube.

For my first attempt at the ATB and with only riding since March this year I am absolutely stoked with my effort.

Good to hear we all had a great time and I look forward to reading everyone's posts of their adventures today.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

pdundee

Postby pdundee » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:05 pm

Just strating to recover from todays ride. Rode Melbourne - Sorneto - Melbourne in 7 hrs 4 min ride time. Struggled back from Mordiallic as the crosswinds were pretty bad. Pretty happy with my result as I think I took off 75 mins on last years time :mrgreen:
Just got to work out which ride I can enter next..

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:44 pm

I had a really early start.....leave the house in Jan Juc at 3.15am......my mate who was riding with me bailed as he sliced open his toe and spent the night in the ED.....

At the start in my Velo at 5am.....a bit cold......but a few people were there.....camera crew was really interested in the Velo and it made it to Channel 7 news.....

The crowd grew quickly and the MC tried some banter and then got us underway at 5.30am.....

The getting out of Melbourne was better than I thought......a bit hectic with people clipping in and out....another benefit of the Velo, you only unclip when you get out ! The traffic lights were a pain......and having to leave the freeway only to have to stop at traffic lights and then rejoin was a pain too......

A good run down to Werribee and then got to Geelong in 2.5 hours.....then onto the Portarlington......a few steady climbs and then a couple of steeper ones just before Portarlington but some fast descents too, but sidewinds at over 75kph are not fun !

The wind was westerly by this point so was getting battered as we turned back inland after St Leonard's but the Velo is pretty efficient into headwinds so had a good run onto the Queenscliff.....got there with 4hr40mins on the Garmin.....managed to catch the 11am ferry.....

The lunch was good....

The ferry was jammed.....

Lots of people asking about the Mango.....

Sorrento to Melbourne was good and smooth......but the gusty sidewinds ruined my fun.....had a nice chat with a chap on a hand cranked bike.....I think my velomobile falls Into the same category as its a bit 'odd'.....saw a couple of Barchetta recumbent bikes on the way too......

Mount Martha was a bit of a grind, but just keep spinning and use the gears....the descent was a bit sketchy due to the gusty sidewinds but at over 70kph it's ok to take the whole lane.....

Olivers Hill was the same story, too gusty to have a lot of fun with speed.....

Got fed up with the traffic lights......why can't they be smart and linked, caught a lot of reds with no cars on the side roads.......

Going thru St Kilda was good, I think the wind was hurting some of the other riders because I was able to scoot past some at a fair pace......

The finish was good.....

My total on bike time was 8hr 5 minutes, not sure of the actual moving time or moving average but just over 30kph I think.....

Managed to get the Velomobile loaded up quickly and got out of Melbourne pretty quickly and was home by 5pm......

A few nice cups of tea later, and a roast dinner is due in a few hours.....feeling tired from getting up so early.....legs a little stiff and achy but not bad considering.....time to do some stretches.....

Good day ! Good to meet lots of people on the road, some good comments and a few not so smart ones......

It's great to see so many people out on bikes !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

drcolossus1

Postby drcolossus1 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:27 pm

I did Sorrento to Melbourne - 3h 11m. Faster than I thought I would go. One puncture with about 20k to go messed with me as I was actually in a group that was smooth and doing correct turns in front!

I saw on beach road the after affects of a pretty nasty accident. Ambulance was with a rider, couldn't see how badly injured, on the side of the road. Next to them was a car with the back window smashed. Harsh looking.

The last few km's down beach road were tough with that wind. But the tailwind to the finish was very welcome.

I'm a bit of a chatter when riding but the majority of the people I rode with weren't really up for it :? Thanks to Michelle for the chat over the last few km's!

All up a great day but have to say I enjoyed Kinglake more. More challenging and I think better organized.

Full 210km next year! :D

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:27 pm

Was a good day to be out, wind wasn't too bad this year and there was only a couple of light dustings of rain.

250km in 8hrs -> http://app.strava.com/rides/25637991

Was a solid ride, didn't leave much in the tank by the time we hit the finish line.

- David.

Speedster

Postby Speedster » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:27 pm

I completed the "250" (238.9 according to Garmin) on the trusty Madone 6.9 SSL - the log on the Garmin says 8:55:02 moving time, arrived at around 6pm.

What a fantastic day! This was the longest ride I have done (previous was 174) and I was feeling it through the undulations on Beach Rd, and the gale-force crosswinds (with sandblasting) along Ornond Esplanade. Congratulations to BNV for organising such a great day, and thanks to BNV, VicPol, RAV, VicRoads and the numerous volunteers for making the experience as seamless as possible.

I felt bad for the three riders I saw down - one at Grieve Pde, one by a glass patch on the M1 and the last along the Esplanade, all needing paramedic assistance. Fingers crossed the injuries weren't too severe. I also rode into Portarlington just as all emergency services were in attendance for a multi-vehicle accident. It didn't look good.

Thanks to a few riders in particular
- a couple of guys who lent me their floor pump from the back of their car when I punctued on my way to the start
- a rider at the start, I think his name was Ben, who lent me a couple or safety pins so I could pin my number plate to my jersey after the cable ties tore through the holes in the plate.

Well that's one ride checked off my list, might be back next year!

Semar

Postby Semar » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:36 pm

Second year in a row.

Much smoother starting, no hanging about getting cold.

Speedo refused to co-operate after 27 km. :cry: Don't know my time, but faster than last year, so about 28kmh av.

Lost a brake shoe at Edithvale. :shock: Had to exit a speedy bunch and find a bike shop.

Sunny ride to Sorento. Didn't get time to sit down - ferry within 30 mins of arrival. Last year I waited for an hour and a half and froze.

'Character building' winds from Qscliff to Glong.

Yelled at by bogans on the way out Geelong. But had the last laugh because they had to stop at the lights and the bunch, which included some large gentlemen, pulled up at their window. :lol:

The tail wind on the Glong freeway made me feel like a cycling god.

Love the volunteers.

Why are cyclists such a nice bunch of people to be with?
It’s more like our thoughts are thinking us than we are thinking them.

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:34 am

Congratulations to all, especially other first-timers...I'm already seriously itching to do it again next year, this time on a proper bike with proper shoes. Somehow I managed to finish in ~7:45 (riding time), average at least 28km/h, all on a hybrid with pretty chunky tires and no clips! The tail wind from Geelong back helped hugely, and at the end I wasn't the least bit exhausted, barely even a sweat.

Did anyone else notice the distance was actually at least 220 km, if not a little more? Including the 7km ride in, I reckon I did 230, and could have happily ridden home again, but my partner was there to meet me so we took the train back.

Was also blown away with how well I did with the fundraising - first time I've ever really tried anything like that, and managed to raise over $2000 with just a few emails.

P.S. just entered http://www.rideforhome.com.au, 75km Ringwood-Frankston-Ringwood. Optimistically put myself in as C grade. I think I might be addicted...
Last edited by wizdofaus on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:43 am

Semar wrote:Yelled at by bogans on the way out Geelong. But had the last laugh because they had to stop at the lights and the bunch, which included some large gentlemen, pulled up at their window. :lol:
...same in Franga ... :lol:

Did the S-M 100 (4hrs) with a mate and enjoyed it thoroughly, especially the lunch provided at the end !

There were a few wayward and wobbly riders about but they were pretty easy to spot and avoid, and good on 'em, I say, for getting out and participating. A lot of people seemed to be riding alone so when a bunch formed behind us after Frankston it seemed to be made up largely of pairs of riders with one more experienced than their mate, so that was good - the group rolled along well until we took a short break at Mordialloc.

I also raised some money, and it's not that hard to do, really .... I think everyone should be able to raise a few hundred bucks from friends and family for The Smith Family, a great cause..... it's not too late either as fundraising continues after the event. If you haven't already, give it a go ! :wink:

EDIT: I also wore my BNA knicks and socks which worked well with the BUPA/ATB jersey I thought ... 8)
Last edited by cyclotaur on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:49 am

wizdofaus wrote: Did anyone else notice the distance was actually at least 220 km, if not a little more?
Yep, not sure why we people finishing later in the day (I got in to the Gardens before 6pm) were diverted to Williamstown first before being let on the Westgate.

Anyway, I completed my first 210/220, and enjoyed it despite the rain in Geelong and the wind up the Bellarine peninsula (I desperately latched onto the back of groups like a leech during this bit).

Going through South Melbourne near the end I did ask one gentleman "Sir, if you don't mind me asking - how old would you be?". He was 79, and this was his fifteenth ride. Awesome.

And I'd love to know from anyone how 'Matt' on his chrome BMX went. He got talked up by Tim the announcer at the start line, and everyone gave encouragement as they went past him, but it would have been a struggle! :)
Last edited by clackers on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:15 am

adrian_d wrote:Wow that was absolutely awesome. What a fantastic day that was.

I had spent most of the morning in the bathroom haha, was sooooo nervous. The start was good and I didn't fall once lmao

I ended up clocking the 100km MFM in 4hours:08minutes which was fantastic. I had the best fun ever.
Your a veteran now, next year you will be the one telling the next round of first timers just how much fun it is and to not stress over it :D

Well done on completing it.

- David.

chucknitro

Postby chucknitro » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:01 am

Could hardly get a better day to do ATB250. A couple of challenging sections (SW from Indented Head directly into a strengthening wind, then getting sandblasted along Beach rd near the finish), a couple of small showers and a much reduced wait for the Ferry this year. 8h50m moving time with a couple of slow sections when my buddy blew up :(

Like some others, I passed a couple of serious looking accidents. I hope everyone is ok.

Big thanks to BV and all the volunteers who make it possible.
2018 Canyon Endurance SLX DB 9.0 DI

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:40 am

Dang, bit annoyed I entered the Hanover Eastlink ride now, this one looks better: http://www.basscoastcyclechallenge.com/, but it's the day before and I'm supposed to be in training for rowing not cycling...

dude18

Postby dude18 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:48 pm

My first atb (210km Queenscliff-Sorrento). Hit a pothole really hard and my di2 rear derailleur crapped itself. Had to complete the remaining 60km on a dualie. Only the front gears were working. But happy I finished and didn't chicken out by taking the train.

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:06 pm

Thanks to the friendly wind I managed to complete 301.46km at an average of 28.46kph. That included riding from home to the start point and a few laps of the block near home to kick it past the 300 mark. Managed to tag along with a few groups who moved along at +35kph. Saw a couple of crashes which did'nt surprise me. Guy on the ground with blood on his head in the Rye area. Another went down between Geelong and Queenscliff and I saw a rider go down turning a corner in the wet. I imagine there were quite a few incidents on the day which was'nt surprising. I made it to Queenscliff before 10.30am and had to wait till 11.30 for the ferry. Got to the finish point just before 4.00pm. Rain really was'nt a problem but it dumped down when I was less then 10 minutes from the finish. All in all a good day and hope to convince my mates to do it next year.