2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Riggsbie

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby Riggsbie » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:48 pm

Visibility is pretty good, it has mirrors so rear vision is as good as a car......your head is above the "bonnet" line so vision forward is good too.....

Obviously you cannot see things immediately in front of you without sitting up a bit. The roof just pivots forward and sits on the hump behind your head so it's pretty straight forward.....I also have a carbon race hood which has a motorcycle style visor.....

The Mango was cheaper than a Pinarello !

With the very strong Aussie dollar and some intuitive currency exchanges it was around $8000 for the velo.....then shipping and import tax on top......shipping was €1800 as it is air freighted from Holland.....

It is completely carbon fibre and has an aluminium spine which the drivetrain and seat are mounted to. It has full suspension. It has integrated running lights, indicators, headlight, taillight, USB ports inside for charging you Garmin/iPhone etc.....

And weighs in at 30kg....

Which you notice climbing hills......but it's faster on the flats and on the descents as it is so aerodynamic......

The steering is very different from my other recumbent trike so it takes a little time to get used to but 400km in I am getting more confidence.......I am pretty stable at 77kph in 30 kph crosswinds now :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:45 pm

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 6314_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thats our vehicle on the left there, we only had limited time to build it so we didn't even get to paint it, After the race it was a mess, there were massive gashes in the side from flipping and being pushed into fences.

Its actually a pretty dangerous thing, If you cut someone off and they see you the next lap they'll come up beside you and push your tail over and then over you flip!

I assume the Mango's would be harder to flip since there much more rigid and obviously better designed for what there meant to do!

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:24 pm

Yes they certainly seem to be very stable with lots of negative camber for high speed stability.....

You can get them onto 2 wheels if you corner too hard but they are (apparently) quite recoverable, not experienced that so far.

I have had the back step out on some loose gravel and on some aggressive ripple strips but it was easily corrected and very controllable.....

I still have a few tweaks in the setup to get everything just right but that's part of the fun !

It's certainly safer than a bad setup 'upright' bike - one of my work colleagues has a new Pinarello Dogma K and has stuffed up his knee as his seat was incorrectly setup in just a few weeks.....so much for 'safety cycles' ;-) - my work colleague constantly takes the piss out of recumbents but is too closed minded to see that there are many ways to skin a cat !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jimmyjames

Postby jimmyjames » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:53 am

Anyone not received their rider kit & jersey in the post? I signed up mid-September, no sign of it yet. And the organisers aren't replying to my emails or phone messages.

Hmmm.....

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:07 am

I got my rider pack a couple of weeks ago

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:31 pm

I've had my pack for a few weeks as well and when contacting them via email I have received a response very promptly (usually within a few hours).

What email address and/or phone number are you contacting them on?
I assume it is one of THESE?

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

pauls51

Postby pauls51 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:34 pm

What was the entry cut-off date for packs to be mailed out? Also, the Mrs has to go pick her pack up because she didn't finish filling out the info in her ATB profile; Did you complete yours?

jimmyjames

Postby jimmyjames » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:38 pm

Thanks for your responses guys. I managed to get through on the phone to Bicycle Victoria in the end - the cutoff date for mailing packs out was end of August so I'll have to collect from the festival site a couple of days beforehand.

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:45 am

jimmyjames wrote:Thanks for your responses guys. I managed to get through on the phone to Bicycle Victoria in the end - the cutoff date for mailing packs out was end of August so I'll have to collect from the festival site a couple of days beforehand.
I was in the same boat unfortunately, I had applied in the middle of August but it seems like I left the jersey selection choice for a bit too long and missed out.

I wonder if there will be a changing facility to try on the jersey after picking up?
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:39 pm

adrian_d wrote: I wonder if there will be a changing facility to try on the jersey after picking up?
Just stand behind the other 19,999 riders and the general public won't even notice you trying on the jersey... :lol:

I'm pretty sure there are public toilets at the gardens (and they will no doubt have port-a-loos setup for a congregation of that many people), so you should find somewhere to try the jersey on.

Dave

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:28 pm

DoogleDave wrote:
adrian_d wrote: I wonder if there will be a changing facility to try on the jersey after picking up?
Just stand behind the other 19,999 riders and the general public won't even notice you trying on the jersey... :lol:

I'm pretty sure there are public toilets at the gardens (and they will no doubt have port-a-loos setup for a congregation of that many people), so you should find somewhere to try the jersey on.

Dave
Thanks mate much appreciated. Its only the jersey top that i'll be trying so I won't be too exposing lol.

rusteh

Postby rusteh » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:31 pm

I can't find much information on the website...what is there in the way of on course nutrition? Or is it just a matter of buying stuff at stores along the way? I'm trying to work out what I need for the 9 odd hours I guess it will take. I'm struggling to fit more than say 6-7 gels, a few muesli bars and a couple of bananas into my jersey, which I'm not sure will be enough. Is there food available on the ferry?

drnick79

Postby drnick79 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:43 pm

Arrr, the fun for me to get there next Friday late in the day and grab my entry stuffs for me and my mates I paid for. Good if I could grab them this weekend.

S
Rides
Giant TCR Advanced SL0
Jamis Dakota D29 Pro

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:48 am

Hey All,
It seems that i'm too scared to take the pro-lite cuneo I built up from scratch. I have this feeling in the back of my mind that the headstem will come off and down I go lol

Everythings all tightened up nicely but I still wonder lol

I will take it out for a good nice long ride this weekend, I haven't used gears on a bike for over a month now lol

VRE

Postby VRE » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:54 am

rusteh wrote:I can't find much information on the website...what is there in the way of on course nutrition? Or is it just a matter of buying stuff at stores along the way? I'm trying to work out what I need for the 9 odd hours I guess it will take. I'm struggling to fit more than say 6-7 gels, a few muesli bars and a couple of bananas into my jersey, which I'm not sure will be enough. Is there food available on the ferry?
https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/gener ... des/92814/ <-- on this page, scroll down to "Lunches". As far as I recall, all other meals are up to you to manage.

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:35 pm

OK part 1 is done & I completed my half marathon today.

I ran it in 2:12:52 at a 6:11 pace so I was happy with that, well ecstatic really. I was settling for 2:30, would be rapt with sub 2:20 and over the moon with sub 2:10. Considering I had to stop for a pee just under 2:13 for my 1st half is more than I hoped for.

The rest of the week is about recovery in preperation for next Sunday. I have had the radox bath and I have been stretching so hopefully I will be able to get on a bike on Tuesday for a gentle 20km spin on the mountain bike

7 days to go :D
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:26 am

Well done, YVP!

I managed 194km yesterday (and saw you guys in action), so hopefully I can extend that to 210 next Sunday, although at an average speed of 22 kmh I'd be crossing the line, arms extended in victory, round about the following Thursday, I reckon. :-)

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:59 pm

Congrats YVP, sounds like you're in fine form at the moment!

No need to do any hard work this week, so enjoy the recovery rides and prep yourself for another great weekend this weekend...

Fingers crossed the weather gods decide to be kind to us!

Dave

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:49 pm

Thanks Clackers & Dave

I am a bit sore today but I still went to karate and the stretches were good. I will give exercise a miss tomorrow and go for a ride on wednesday

I am worried about the weather, rain with a south westerly, doesnt look good :shock:
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:09 am

Does anyone know a good bike route plotting site that allows non-contiguous rides? I've tried mapmyride and bikely but neither of them seem to allow plotting a route that involves using a ferry without counting it in the total km.

I did manage to create a workout with mapmyride that has the two legs I'm doing: http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/193857289" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's not quite the full 210km, and I know I have the last little bit coming over the West Gate and back to the finish wrong, but mapmyride is quite buggy and every time I tried to undo to fix it it would screw up. Indeed, just opening that map to edit it causes it to get corrupted, not sure if it's something to do with the 'Avoid Highways' option which is on by default but that I turned off while plotting the route.
One interesting bug is that it doesn't know the elevation for the West Gate bridge, just has it at 0m, when it's actually almost 60m.
Last edited by wizdofaus on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

slipsam

Postby slipsam » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:34 am

Hi all, First attempt at ATB and doing the 250km so will be in there nice and early. I'm coming in from the outer eastern suburbs and will need to park for the day.
I couldn't see anything on the website about parking. Any idea where the best place to park is? Is there any organised parking eg MCG or similar?
Thanks,
Bernie

blatant

Postby blatant » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:33 am

well I'm ridiculously sore, and training for both the marathon and ATB has done a number on my race times.
One week of serious recovery coming up and hopefully the legs will spin up happily on Sunday. I'm glad they have buses in case I burn out 105km from the car haha

Speedster

Postby Speedster » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:46 pm

Bike is boxed up ready for my flight and the weather forecast is looking promising:

Melbourne area: Shower or two, Min 12, Max 18
Cloudy. Isolated showers. Winds west to southwesterly and light tending south to southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h during the day.

Geelong and Surf Coast: Shower or two, Min 9, Max 17
Cloudy. Isolated showers. Winds west to southwesterly and light tending south to southwesterly 15 to 25 km/h during the morning.

Mornington Peninsula area: Shower or two, Min 10, Max 16
Cloudy. Isolated showers. Winds west to southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h turning southerly 20 to 30 km/h during the day.

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:17 pm

Speedster wrote:Bike is boxed up ready for my flight and the weather forecast is looking promising: <snip>
The temperature is perfect, a light shower or two will get me no wetter than the sweat from a hot sunny day would, and if there really is a light wind blowing from the south west as I struggle back over the West Gate bridge for the last few km, I have to agree, pretty decent forecast! But Melbourne weather is of course nothing if not fickle...

rusteh

Postby rusteh » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:00 pm

Completed my second marathon on the weekend with a 20 minute PB and a time of 3:24:40 so happy with that, but far out I'm sore, hoping I can recover in time for Sunday...Not sure if I should take wet weather gear or not, if only light showers I'm thinking the space in my jersey pocket would be better used for extra food...