Group Ride Sunday mornings - Lynbrook

oldnewby

Re: Group Ride Sunday mornings - Lynbrook

Postby oldnewby » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:57 pm

enjoyed this morning a lot guys, thanks for the outing! As recurveron said, plenty to do before ATB in 7 weeks. I ended up on 82km, via the wall and ridge rd on Mt Dandenong, and thoroughly enjoyed my breakfast! Catch you again soon, thanks again.
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels"

recurveron

Postby recurveron » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:48 pm

Good ride in great conditions , enjoyed the change of scenery and the challenge of the climbs . Did an extra run to past Crannie and back after a quick refuel at the car, finished with maybe 70klm all up. Need to step it up over the comming weeks.

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:24 pm

glad you enjoyed it too recurveron, will definitely get in a few more rides with you blokes before ATB!

matt.blak

Postby matt.blak » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

I will be away on Sunday, doing some country riding.

Erik said he will be at Lynbrook at 7am, enjoy you ride

Matt
Wilier GTR

recurveron

Postby recurveron » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:31 pm

I'll be there this sunday but will miss next sunday Matt , away at Eildon , so see you in 3 weeks.

recurveron

Postby recurveron » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:53 pm

Well it was a breakaway of one leading out from flakey's this morning. Decided to do my first 100k ride and went till the computer ticked over 5ok's which ended up being the lang lang jetty road. Pretty uneventfull , conditions early were drizzly and the road wet , feet were cold for the whole distance , so will have to get some waterproof over shoes before the bay ride. Took 3hrs 34 mins for the 100 avarging 28 ( that is if the new computer is calibrated right ). Felt ok after it and will have to try get in some more longer distances soon. See you guy's in 2 weeks

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:56 pm

well done recurveron, great effort on the first century, awesome average speed too! I did 68km up and down Mt Macedon yesterday, and a leisurely 46k from Berwick to Mornington today. Well done again, hopefully catch you in a couple of weeks.

recurveron

Postby recurveron » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:29 pm

I'm only using a knog cycle 12 and not totally sure its calibrated right , will be getting a proper garmin gps before the ride to record it for posterity :lol: . Good going on Mt Macedon i've been up it in a car and i remember it being a constant long climb

matt.blak

Postby matt.blak » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:38 pm

We are riding again tomorrow, might try for a slightly longer ride past Tooradin, depending on winds.
Wilier GTR

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:23 pm

i won't be joining tomorrow, i have a commitment from the fiance, who wants to go on a 20-30km ride with me!! only about the 3rd time in 12 months she's suggested it, so i'll take her up on it :) enjoy tomorrow you guys.

matt.blak

Postby matt.blak » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:37 am

I will be away in Sunny Noosa for a week, taking the bike of course. I am quite looking forward to riding in warmer weather.

So I will be a no-show on Sunday.

enjoy the riding - I know I will!

Matt
Wilier GTR

recurveron

Postby recurveron » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:09 pm

Have fun in the sun, i'll be trying for a century on sat and will back up again sun for the usual if Eric turns up, the weather is not looking good on sunday though.

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:18 pm

i did 163km today (learnt a bit about what not to do when I do ATB!). Longest ever ride, very happy! I am busy tomorrow morning, sorry guys. enjoy!

recurveron

Postby recurveron » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:21 am

Good effort ONB , how did you go for fuel- snacks , that is one thing i have to look into and soon. I did 110km yesterday with a 1hr break at the halfway mark, and had a coffee ,protien shake , banana and cashews and felt ok after the ride . Backed up with 50km this morning and felt ok , after getting over the inital stiffness in the legs and arms , for some reason my right hand and right side shoulder neck seem to cramp up bad on the longer rides.

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:16 pm

nice work recurveon, well done on backing up with 50 today. In answer to the food question - I'm also a bit unsure what is ideal. Yesterday was the longest I've been on the bike, so it was a trial run as to what/when to eat. The mistake I made was stopping for too long at once (about an hour), and eating the wrong food (maccas). Also went a bit hard pace-wise in the first 80km, so it was a tough second half. Other than the maccas I managed the food pretty well. I had 5 bottles of water, 2 gatorades, a banana, 2 energy gels, and 2 energy bars. I was trying for a bottle of water every hour. Ride time was 6hrs 40min, elapsed time was 9 hours. As I said, other than the maccas (should have been a sandwich and/or some fruit) food was good, and I carried it all. I reckon I'll be trying for frequent (every 1 1/2 - 2 hours) breaks, that only last 15 minutes, and not have any long breaks.
Hopefully catch you on a Sunday soon, and hope that helps a bit.

recurveron

Postby recurveron » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:51 pm

Have you found a brand of gel you can recommend taste wise , have not tried any yet and have heard reports that they take some getting used too. The break during the ferry ride i hope is not too long as i find it a bit hard once starting again . I'm hoping to do the first half of the ride with little or no stops but break the second half up with more frequent stops, but will play it by ear and see what the body say's on the day.

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:40 pm

i have been using 'power bar' gel, apple flavour. only reason is one of my supermarkets sells them. they taste average, but not unbearable, and they do work. my mate gave me one yesterday which was delicous, i'll email him and ask him the brand. yeah i agree, hoping to make the ferry ride the only major break. good luck on the prep! i'm getting pretty excited, only 2 weeks til kinglake 115, and only 4 weeks til atb!

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:27 pm

"Torq Gel - Banoffee - The other one they do that's pretty good is the 'black forest cherry"
Is what my mate messaged me.
I had the banoffee yesterday, it was beautiful, and easy to eat. haven't tried the other one yet.

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:08 pm

anyone heading out tomorrow?

matt.blak

Postby matt.blak » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:09 am

I just got home, the bike is still in the bag. No ride for me this week, Next week I will be out riding, very keen to do some climbing.

- Matt
Wilier GTR

recurveron

Postby recurveron » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:34 am

Sorry ONB just read this post now , did the ride down to Sorrento from Dandenong yesterday in very ordinary conditions cross head wind most of the way and very cold, at least the rain held off for all but the last 30 mins . The ride was about 84k's to the ferry then rode back to the rye ramp for the lift home Total was 92k's at 24km avarge . Backed up at Flakeys this morning and was kind of glad no one showed as i forgot the gloves and was only in shorts and when the rain came it was freezing , eneded up just doing 20k's before pulling the pin. Have some torq gels on order and will have to get some overshoes and light wieght shell jacket just incase the weather is average on the big day . See you guys next week.

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:48 pm

i saw the weather this morning and thought 'glad no one said yes' :)
I went out this arvo for 47km thru the hills, was quite nice.
Well done yesterday, yeah it would have been awful conditions for riding!
I have Kinglake 115km this Sat, so not sure I'll be out Sunday. Catch up soon.

recurveron

Postby recurveron » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:41 pm

Good luck at Kinglake , that will be a good test and lead in to the bay ride , wish i had thought of entering it. I will maybe try and head over the west gate and do a bit of the course from Geelong to hoppers.

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:41 pm

hey recurveon, how did you go yesterday?
See my post below, copied from the ATB thread.

I had a great day out, my first attempt. Went for the 210 MQFSM.
As everyone else has said, ferry was a bummer, I had 2hrs 8 minutes "stopped time" between arriving at Queenscliff, and stepping off the ferry at Sorrento.
Highlights:
Geelong - Queenscliff. Perfect weather, felt fresh, passed a few bunches, kept up with a few faster riders than me.
My mate waitingfor me at Sorrento after being on the ferry an hour earlier than mine.
Same mates wife & kids yelling and waving us past at Mt Martha.
Sorrento - Dromana. Wind just right, after being pepped up by my mate waiting, felt fantastic again.
Food at Queenscliff, best sandwich ever!
Prickly moses beer & can of tuna at the finish

Lowlights:
Puncture at 28km. Lost all momentum, and had bunches of later start-time packs go past while I was fixing. Took ages to get thru them, and consequently meant most of Werribee - Geelong was solo (and on a rear tyre at around 60psi)
Crosswind on Beacy parade. Ouch. Sand blasted face, swerving over the road.
After saying to my mate at around 150km "I actually feel surprisingly good", about 10km later... sore feet, headwind, sore back etc, not feeling as good for the last 40km.

Fantastic event. Huge thanks to the organisers, volunteers, and 17000 other cyclists who made it amazing.

My ride time (according to my old skool bike computer) was 7hrs 37 minutes. Elapsed time according to times on Bike Exchange 10hrs 11 minutes. I stopped for my puncture, then briefly at the Werribee & Little River stops to look for a floor pump. Stopped at Geelong for bathroom, banana & floor pump. Then after the ferry, no stopping up the other side, except for 5 min while my mate cramped.

recurveron

Postby recurveron » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:31 pm

G'day Nath , enjoyed the whole experiance and very pleased that i made it . Was worried about only getting a max training ride of 110k's so was in the back of my mind that i might struggle towards the end . Luckily we had that tail wind from Geelong to help on the way back . Only had the one stop to Sorrento ,that was at Seaford for a toliet break and re-fuel did the trip to the ferry in 3hrs 40ish. Not too long a wait for the ferry . The worst part for me was getting off at queenscliff to be greated by a head wind most of the way to geelong. Had 3 stops on the back leg topping up with water and bannanas and lollies . Left my gels at home in the morning rush but greatful for the lunch that included a couple of gels packs . Having trouble getting correct info of the gps as it didn't stop at the end of the ride and clocked up the drive home. Going by the offical Timming points i had a total ride time of 10hr 12.54 mins it didn't have a stopping time for me but gudging by others taking into account i didn't wait that long for the ferry i'm guessing a stopping time of 1hr 20ish for a ride time of 8hrs 50 mins. Very happy with how the Degani went it didn't miss a beat considering it hadn't been touched or serviced since i brought it
1 1/2 years ago and thankfully no punctures . Felt ok at the end only problem was stomach cramps from Geelong onwards
Thats a great over all time you did especially considering the anti clockwise guy's seemed to not get as much help from the conditions as us . Will take this time to Thank Matt and Eric for the help and encorougement in the training and lead up to the event. Whats next on the list for you , me ,i'll only be doing short commutes to work and hopefully get back up to around the 85kg , never been so skinny , :lol: