Volunteer Front riders needed for Vision impaired riders

stevendavid75

Volunteer Front riders needed for Vision impaired riders

Postby stevendavid75 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:55 pm

Hi All,

Earlier this year I started volunteering with Blind sports Victoria as a front rider and recently realised there is need for more front riders.
Its a great experience and I would encourage people who are interested and confident enough to get in touch with Blind Sports Victoria

Blind Sports Victoria is currently looking for volunteer front riders in
metropolitan Melbourne. For further enquiries please contact Susan Marshall
on 9822 8876.

Cheers
Steve

malocchio

Re: Volunteer Front riders needed for Vision impaired riders

Postby malocchio » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:27 am

Hi steven,

what's involved? is this for competitive events or social rides? I'm interested to hear more details about your experience!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:13 pm

Go for it - suddenly instead of being seen as a selfish sob for spending all that time on the bike, you are now an everyday hero, taking time out of your busy life to help another. It's a great way to get a warm fuzzy feeling from somtheing you like doing anyway.

Blind cyclists are just like most other people - some are competitive, some more social, some are confident cyclists, others will need some more persuasion, some of them are great fun to be around, some less so.

My story - I worked with a guy, Charlie McConnell, who has been blind since 13. He was looking for someone to ride with him in the Sydney to Wollongong. I was planning on going anyway so said yes. We did quite a few training rides and the spring cycle & frankly it was just a fun day out.

Just remember it's a waste of time waving to them - the rude sods never wave back ;)
Anything you can do, I can do slower

stevendavid75

Postby stevendavid75 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:10 pm

Hi,

My experience was pretty straight forward, I applied for different position, (running partner) but geography was not workable and I mentioned that I would be interested to ride Tandem should an opportunity arise.

Such an opportunity did arise a few months later and I was contacted and went through a interview and introduction process and have been riding ever since.

I think of myself as a pretty experienced rider and I found it personally to be a positive challenge and it has certainly made me appreciate my freedom to ride my bike whenever I choose a whole lot more..

Cheers,
SP